Restriction Or Empowerment?

Amanda

With regard to a thread posted in "the girls" forum on the topic of domination. I wonder how the male members of this site percieve the wearing of heels by women. Do you percieve the symbol of heels to be dominant or submissive.... Discuss please

Good question. Never thought about it really. Going with the title of the thread, I personally feel empowerment in heels. I guess that would make the the dominant type?

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Good question. Never thought about it really.

Going with the title of the thread, I personally feel empowerment in heels. I guess that would make the the dominant type?

As far as women. You never know for sure.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Relative to this discussion, Heels will reinforce the persona either way. It's not so much a symbol one way or another. Likewise a business woman who coordinates her business attire well can enhance the perception of confidence by the proper shoe. Consider the possibility of one shoe style/color that could be worn by a Dom, Sub, Business executive, stripper, and even a hooker, or anyone for that matter - - - - - Classic 5" stiletto. What the person wears with it, and how the person presents themselves changes the role played.

"Do you percieve the symbol of heels to be dominant or submissive...." Neither. Being Dom or Sub is a state of mind. It really has little to do with what we are wearing. Appearance wise, it holds the same. The clothing doesnt mean much until the person wearing it actually ' presents ' themselves for what roll they wish to hold or what persona they really have.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

It can be either as others have said, depending on the overall appearance and attitude of the woman. However, I think for most women it does give them confidence, and a woman usually wears them knowing she will be getting more attention and that it will bring her entire outfit (professional or otherwise) up to the next level than if she just wore flats. So, I would go with empowerment (in most cases).

I don't see it as either. If the heels are appropriate for the outfit, it just tells me that the woman has given thought to her appearance and cares about her image enough to wear nice clothes. If it's sneakers or flip flops to a formal event, such as a wedding or funeral, that's inappropriate (and yet we've all seen it). Steve

I think it is empowerment for women. They seem to get a lot of confidence with them. I feel the same way when I wear them. I love it! I never get sick of wanting to wear them. I'm taller in heels, and they make my feet look smaller when wearing long pants. I always wanted to be 6'1". Its nice to look over the crowd. I'm getting off toipic. Anyway, I think women like to have a bit of attitude with heels(in a good way). Ever notice that they wear loud heels in the most quiet places. I can relate to it because I'm a little between the two genders.

Just a bubbling note: Guys, you are very very gentle and correct.....Whenever I wear heels, men compliment and adore me. And on the other hand, when any submissive girl (friend of mine) wear them, her Dom adores her and compliments as well. The adoration is different in both cases but the point is the same PS: I never saw a submissive girl worshipping her dom´s shoes...

Elegance is my second name

Heels have the effect of debilatating the wearer making them less mobile. On the other hand, a person in extreme heels would need to be carried thus implying domination...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

You specifically asked about "male members of this site" rather than men in general. Of the total 7000+ members I'm guessing most are probably male, and most of those are admirers rather than heel-wearers. Personally I think my experience of wearing heels certainly changes how I perceive women wearing heels. If I asked a woman "Would you still wear heels if there were no men in the world?" and she said "yes" I'd like to think I'd understand because that's the spirit with which I wear my heels too - neither submissive or dominant, but empowering in terms of positive self-image and confidence, a celebration of fashion in it's own right without it being framed in terms of submission to or dominance over masculinity. It's inspiring to see a woman wear heels in that way. However, I think that's very different to how mainstream society perceives women in heels, largely as submissive which the typical male approves of and the typical female disapproves of (but who wants to be typical anyway).

If you like it, wear it.

Amanda, the title of the thread is "restriction or empowerment" On the other hand, your question is "submissive or dominant". I don't feel these 4 words are synonyms 2 by 2... I am sure you will find many examples of the most dominant dictators that restrict themselves to a strict way of life in order to improve their domination capabilities.... So I will answer both questions separately : "restriction or empowerment" : both ! "submissive or dominant" : neither Eric

With regard to a thread posted in "the girls" forum on the topic of domination.

I wonder how the male members of this site perceive the wearing of heels by women.

Do you perceive the symbol of heels to be dominant or submissive.... Discuss please

As I perceive women in heels at social functions, while walking, doing their shopping, or just hanging out with family and/or friends, they seem to have an aura about them that radiates confidence and alertness. Now the person wearing heels may have flaws to be revealed, but these are my first thoughts and usually they aren't diminished; even should our personalities clash.

As far as the symbolism of heels being dominant or submissive, there have been books written upon this very subject. Each author coming from the other view and making it sound plausible, especially for those who are vulnerable to whims of thought. Personally, I like to think of heels as dominant servants. For as they service your desire for good looking footwear, the good look transfers over to giving you more confidence about your own appearance.

They are restrictive since usually they make you a lot least agile and walker slower or at least with more caution. I don't really see them as a symbol of dominant or submissive but if I had to pick one submissive. A lot people wear heels because they were asked, told too, or think they should for an occasion.

Neither, I reject the premise. I see them as clothing. It would be like asking if glasses are submissive or dominant or restrictive or empowering. An absurd premise I hope most would agree. I see it is ascribing characteristics to the clothing a person is wearing that really just reflect the viewers biases as a whole.

Well some people wear sunglasses to look cool, some people might even wear glasses to look intellectual, others might be embarassed that they need glasses. Maybe they're empowering if you want to read but disempowering if you want to play sports. I agree with you that, at least from a fashion point of view, there's nothing inherently submissive or dominant in the glasses themselves, just like there isn't in heels, but it's unavoidable that cultural meanings become attached to clothing. The real expressive power of fashion is to be able to redefine those meanings as individuals and not just hide behind the cliches (i.e. to be dominant over fashion, not submissive to it). Let's not prejudge someone by the cliches but at the same time let's not disregard each individual's personal expression - it's not easy, maybe it's two sides of the same coin.

If you like it, wear it.

I see it as both. There's the obvious restrictions that come with wearing them, but I sense of empowerment that I can. I wear them because I want to. I felt quite empowered the other night when on my home, I had no choice but to climb over a fallen tree wearing 6" stilettos with a 2" platform. Had to think about it for a bit, but I made it!

• 2 weeks later...

I have seen some women wear and walk confidently in high heels and they definitely appear dominant. But I have seen some women who look terribly uncomfortable and and have a hard time walking in their high heels and they look anything but dominant. I guess it would depend on the woman wearing the high heels.

Amanda, what a great question for discussion. Thank you for submitting it here in this section.

• 3 weeks later...

When you see a picture of two women, one obviously dominant, the other obviously submissive, usually

both are wearing very high heels.

I think the heels are in this case more an expression of their femininity. This is then in combination with the

rest of their outfit.

When you take a man in very high spiky heels, he will usually not try to express femininity with the rest of

his clothes (usually!) and in that case one does not think in terms of dominant or submissive either.

Hence to me the answer to the question is "none of the above".

In my eyes dominant or submissive is a matter of behavior. Of what you radiate. What your face looks like.

The shoes make the whole thing sexy, attractive, elegant and more.

Y.

Edited by yozz

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

• 2 weeks later...

Great Question! I guess there are a number of factors to consider... From a guy's perspective on women wearing heels, the ability to walk comfortably in heels is important. If I see a woman struggling with their heels, I see them as more submissive due to the debilitating effect the shoes are creating. If I see a woman striding effortlessly, I sense a confidence in them. In my mind, this confidence doesn't really state dominance, just the lack of submissiveness. From a guy theorising on the effect heels may have upon a woman's psyche, I could see the added high being empowering. Surely the potential feeling of being attractive would also feel empowering. This again, just as with the ease of walking scenario, ionly really leads to a potiential dominance caused by the attitude of the wearer. After discussing this with my wife, I think we both agree that we would see the more 'butch' type of woman as the type that would exude dominance. Typically that sort of woman would be wearing flat, practical boots. I find it hard to see beautiful, well tailored women as dominant. I'm not saying that I see them as submissive by any associated consequence, just that I have an intensity that generally makes women struggle to keep up with me. Interestingly, I had to find someone that wouldn't be swept away in my presence.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.