Running in 'HEELS?

Anita C.

Do you ever run in your Stilettos?  

398 members have voted

1. 1. Do you ever run in your Stilettos?

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 weeks later...

I can run a little bit on short distance with my high heels. No problem with 4". It is a little bit harder with 5" and 6". I can run but not very fast. I think I would go faster by walking :). Kiss Sab

High heels are the most exciting thing of life silly.gif !

• 2 months later...

Due to the sheer amount of guys' postings, rather than hedge-clip this down to nothing, I felt it more constructive to just move this train over to "For Everybody" - consider it an early Christmas present from me.

SQ.....still busting societal molds with a smile...and a 50-ton sledge!

Due to the sheer amount of guys' postings, rather than hedge-clip this down to nothing, I felt it more constructive to just move this train over to "For Everybody" - consider it an early Christmas present from me.

Indeed, this thread was started in 2003, long before the "No guys in the girls section" came about, so yeah, fair enough...

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

It's hard to run in heels unless you are going to run as though your life depends on getting to a destination really fast. In a full run, the body has to lean forward a bit to compensate physically for the forward displacement. Otherwise, a runner's feet will literally run out from under them causing a loss of their base support, causing an awkwardly balanced profile, resulting in a loss of stride or a fall. A moderate attempt to run or a fast walk means the heeler is still using heels as part of the support for their up-right position lessening the spring action of the feet, which keeps the forward progress from being as fast as an all out full run. If the heels are too high, even the full run could be effectively slowed. If you can't run in your heels at their height, then you should prepare yourself in some options you can take for your safety, like: knowing you limitations, being able to remove your heels quickly so that you can run, taking martial arts training in heels and learning how to use your heels as defense mechanisms, and etc.

• 2 weeks later...

The only time I really ran in heels was about 5 years ago. I was at a club downtown with 2 of my girl friends. We all had on stiletto boots of some kind. As we left the club, it was pouring rain. The 3 of us made a dash for it about 2 blocks to the parking garage. When we got to the garage, my one friend couldn't walk any more (well, not to the heels, but to the shots she was doing). lol So the 2 of us had to help carry her up the stairs to the 3rd floor and get her to the car. That was quite the night!

True running no but to describe something quicker it's more hop skip and leap to get off the road due to quick cars getting too close. Even a police car 3 weeks ago (5" heels) and I'm sure they became visible in the headlights:silly:. Al

The other day the wife came to my 'man cave' workshop to make a little trouble (in the fun way) and while she ran off, I took a shorter route and headed her off at the pass so to speak with my 4" heeled western boots. Intuitive improvisation is key when we have to run in heels! LOL Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

• 1 month later...

Hi I can run in stiletto heels but its not a full on fast run like if I was wearing running shoes. When I run in higher heels I point my toes down , so that as I take the next step forward my toes and heel touch at the same time, rather than heel-toe, heel-toe which is what I do when I walk. I can run quite fast but I don't take long strides. I don't think I could run for a long distance like this, maybe 2 or 3 city blocks? I don't have much need to run in heels other than if its raining heavily and I want to dash across a block or a park where there are no verandahs, or if I need to run across a busy road between traffic etc... Heels weren't really made for running! Cheers Heel-Lover

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Two times , i have run on high heel sandals. I was walking in a school sport parc, it was late at night, and i tried to run: i could run very fast if i run on tiptoe, the heels didn't touch the ground. The second time it was to go back to my car, to escape an old man who worked as a guardian of a parc, who ask me if i wanted he open the parc for me, i was in my car, and i'm not sure he saw what were my shoes.

I voted yes, but only for very short distances. The sound and the teetering feeling is fun. As a kid I got pretty good at running up the stairs in heels so I wouldn't get caught when my family came back home. Of course I could've taken the shoes off and run up the stairs barefoot, but where's the fun in that? Maybe that's how we get so good at walking in heels. I wonder how many girls also learnt to run up stairs in heels to avoid getting caught when they weren't allowed to wear them?

If you like it, wear it.

Turn your feet slightly to the side of the stair. You'll find that helps.

Hi Sleekheels,

there is one problem with what you say. Going up stairs in heels is dead-easy - its coming down thats 10 times harder. You would need to be practising going down stairs because going up stairs you don't need to use your heels...

rgds

Heel-Lover

Well, I've never had to run in heels, never needed to run in heels, nor do I want to run in heels. Now, if I were out on a jaunt and a horde of zombies came my way, well, that would change my mind, otherwise, I see no practical reason to engage in such a practice. As others have already stated, high heels WEREN'T made for running!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I have run a few times in heels, but usually only when its needed, I wouldn't recommend doing any real distance running just for the fun of it. I once had to run a good distance in the airport as I was in 4.5" heels. The flight I was on was nearly an hour late and I had to transfer to a connecting flight and really had to get there fast or miss the connection. I must have been quite the sight, but I had maybe 7 minutes to run what felt like nearly a mile, and wow, my calves were burning and cramping for a good portion of the 2nd flight especially since I couldn't really walk it off and stretch afterward, it was pretty much straight to my seat, shut the door, and off they went immediately. :silly:

Hi Sleekheels,

there is one problem with what you say. Going up stairs in heels is dead-easy - its coming down thats 10 times harder. You would need to be practising going down stairs because going up stairs you don't need to use your heels...

rgds

Heel-Lover

I totally agree Heel-Lover, I've had some scary moments even just walking down stairs (mostly a balance thing) and wouldn't even think of running down them - an elegant descent holding the handrail is definitely preferable! :silly:

Running up stairs I find it's not so much balance but slipping because of the smooth sole which high-heeled shoes (and some flats) tend to have. That's never been a problem for me on a flat surface or going down stairs where the tip of the heel always makes firm contact with each step.

There seem to have been more heeled styles with grippier soles in recent years, though that hardly makes them suitable running shoes. I'm not really a fan, but I guess boots like this:

http://designer-shoes.me.uk/kg-by-kurt-geiger-scandal-boots/

might make a discrete option under a long pair of jeans for guys first-time heeling. I think court shoes with soles anything like that are really ugly and clunky though - maybe that's why I've only ever seem them in shops and not out on the street - or are they all running so fast I don't see them? :unsure:

If you like it, wear it.

Its not that your soles slip... what the problem is -and Amanda Snake has rightly commented (obviously experienced) is that in reality on stairs the issue is catching a heel when stepping down from one step to the next (hence turn your feet sideways slightly to clear your heels better). Balance is not hard (you actually don't need a hand rail), it can be more tiring on your knees and thighs because you're not using the normal muscles you would when walking on the flat in heels rgds Heel-Lover

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Can I run in heels? Heck yea! It's just less heel-toe and more on the balls of my feet while keeping my feet extended so the heel doesn't touch the ground.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.