Forgive Me... But Why Are Men Wearing High Heels?

kadztheman

Heh, for me to be offended you'd have to exceed the craziness of a guy that was way to grabby 5 fingers for my tastes, or the guy that basically threatened to kick my ass "for being gay". Yeah, because shoes apparently change sexual orientation. /rolleyes Basically we do because we can. Everyone has their own reasons. Mine boil down to basically apparently my ass looks great in them according to old girlfriends, and they ended up being fun to wear in general. Past that and I have to break out a quote from Jack Harkness (tv character): You people and your quaint little categories. I say give it a go for shits and giggles, you never know what you'll end up liking until you do it. I never imagined I'd like rock climbing until I started. I get to buy lots of crazy shoes for fun reasons.

Well, to throw in my two cents worth, I wear high heels because they're great fun, not to mention supremely stylish compared to the raging dullness of men's shoes.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

You have to admit any shoe or boot looks so much better with a heel so much better than any mans style shoes. I wear a pair of black ankle type boots almost daily with a 2 and half inch heel nobody notices or cares. Sometimes I wear heels from 3-4 inches, 3 inch is ok but 4 inch heels take a lot of running in before I am happy with them. So put them on your feet and enjoy.

life is not a rehearsal

Heels are fun and stylish, much more interesting than flat, heavy, boring men's shoes, and although I'm not height challenged at 5'9", I like being 3-4 inches taller. I not only wear because I can, I wear because my wife says I can, and we always compromise and do it her way! LOL I get occasional compliments, but that's not my motivation, it's just icing on the cake. I don't wear really feminine styles (loud colors, frills, ornamentation, thin straps, stilettos), but stick to mostly black, brown, and dark red, thicker heel styles like loafers, clogs, boots and sandals with a 3-4 inch heel. If you have any inclination to put on heels and try them, go for it. It's a hoot! Steve

The way we adorn our appearance should be the personal choice of the individual, but some how society thinks it has the right to make our personal decisions. This attitude has been the way things have been done for so long that people in general except it as a natural way things happen. It is important to realize that all of our rights to decide for ourselves is individual. Whether men wear heels or not should be no one elses decision. There are even some women who choose not to wear heels and nobody seems to be jumping down their necks.

Very complicated answer boiled down to the basics: I like the the look, I like the incredible variety (all the way down to the fact that the exact same shoe in a different heel height, is a completely different shoe), what it does for the legs, and the way the shoes feels, even if that feeling has little to do with true comfort.

I became "knowlegable" that there was a difference between girl's shoes and boy's shoes in kindergarden. There was a game where the teacher called out something and those wearing the item would get out of their seat and run around. "Black Patent Leather Shoes" was announced and I got out of my seat as I erhad on black shoes. I guess I was "humilated" to find out that only the girls wore black pattent leather shoes. I could not figure out why boys didn't. Then over the years, I began to notice more differences between girls and boys shoes. The Mary-jane with the swivel strap that my neighbor friend wore was a "mystery" to me. What was it like to have that strap across the foot and then be able to put it at the back of the heel? I wanted to try but never got to try to find the answer to the mystery. Then in grade 6, one of the girls in the class came into class wearing a pair of white shoes that had a "jet heel" changing the way she walked. That change added to the mystery behind girls shoes. When I had a chance at home, I tried to see what a pair of Mom's was like but I found her feet were much to small. There was no way. I did have that "mystery" to solve and found a chance to try my Grandmother's pair of open-toe quarter-strap 2 inch block heels when I was left behind on a grocery shopping trip. The feeling of that extra height was so intriguing. It was so undescribable at that time. I knew I wanted that feeling again and again until I got caught by my Mom trying on a pair of Granny's dark red moc-toe loafers with a stacked heel - I got too "BRAVE" and was told how wrong it was. The mystery became stronger as more and more classmates began to wear heels and seemed to be having more and more fun when walking. "High heels" in 1964 were 2 1/4 " high stiletto shaped and most of the girls were wearing a variety of pumps as their first heels. Then, the bottom dropped out - the "Mod Style" of little block heels overwhelmed the graceful lines of the classic stiletto pump. Most heels were now 1" to1 3/4" high under a variety of normal "male looking" shoes. Most were flat sling-back penny-loafer styles with some still being the Mary-Jane style all through my highschool years. Every once in a while, there would be a "dress-up" day for school spirit and a few of the girls would wear heels then. Of course by then the male interest in the female had developed. The girls in heels mesmurized me and I wanted to find out what it was like to wear heels again. As a freshman in college away from home, I was able to purchase my first pair of size 10M "Trio of Tiny Straps" black shiny Mary-Janes with a shaped 1 1/8" heels through the Mongomery Ward Catalog. Shortly there after, I ordered a pair of size 11M white stiletto pumps with "high 2 7/8 inch heels" from the Aldens Catalog. I finally had the chance to feel the difference and the mystery never has ceased. I still like the way they feel and how they change the way I have to walk. The feeling seems to be addictive for some - female and male alike.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I've been into heels as long as I can remember but never had the guts to try them. You only live once and you really need to do what you want in that space of time, so I bought my first pair a couple of weeks ago and I really enjoy wearing them, I'm past the point where I have to concentrate on walking and can just get on with it. I only wish I had made the leap sooner. I live in a fairly rural, very catholic area, so may not be heading down the shops in them any time soon, but waering them about the house is making me happy and that's what it's all about. If you're thinking about it, just try it and experience it, if you don't like it don't do it again, simple as that.

Wearing them outside is the next step! Most people don't really care what you have on your feet. Don't let society tell you that you can't wear what you like to. It tool women years to wear pants, and now it is part of their everyday clothes. Clarissa

I wear high heels for many reasons
  • I love how they look
  • I love how they feel when I wear them (the higher the better!)
  • They are much more stylish
  • Because I can
  • But most of all, because I want to wear them!!!

Yes, I can walk in 6.5 inch heels!!!