Heels On Airplanes

I recently took a comuter flight and couldn't help but notice a smartly dressed young woman boarding the flight with 6 or 7 inch heels that had a small platform. Heels are great but I have to wonder if this is the most sensible choice for flying at 40K feet and having to make it to the washroom and back under turbulent conditions. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see that just as much as I enjoyed watching her board the plane but I would hate to see anyone get hurt. This isn't the first time I've watched a woman wearing hooker shoes board a plane, either. This has to be the ultimate commitment to fashion.

You'd think that women would practice more in the way of common sense when it comes to shoes and planes, and wearing six inch heels on an airplane is NOT a logical thing to do, for either gender.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

You'd think that women would practice more in the way of common sense when it comes to shoes and planes, and wearing six inch heels on an airplane is NOT a logical thing to do, for either gender.

But it looks good though :)

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

And did you voice your concerns to her?

I recently took a comuter flight and couldn't help but notice a smartly dressed young woman boarding the flight with 6 or 7 inch heels that had a small platform.

Heels are great but I have to wonder if this is the most sensible choice for flying at 40K feet and having to make it to the washroom and back under turbulent conditions. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see that just as much as I enjoyed watching her board the plane but I would hate to see anyone get hurt.

This isn't the first time I've watched a woman wearing hooker shoes board a plane, either. This has to be the ultimate commitment to fashion.

I fail to see the problems of high heels on a plane. Is it because of in case of an accident? Chances are you're toast anyway. Also the chances of a plane accident are way smaller then a car accident. And driving in heels seems to be a very popular pasttime here.

Practical or not.. thats to be determined by the person wearing the shoes. If she feels confident enough or if its practical for her, more power to her. I might be flying to Colorado soon and am considering to do such just ( wear thigh high dominatrix type boots with 9 inch platforms or something freaky.. ) to make the TSA people say ' WTF?!?! '.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

I travel a good bit on business and routinely wear a four-inch stiletto with no problems at all. A great majority of my destinations have jetbridges or use external stairs with height and pitch just like stairs at home. At very few smaller airports boarding is via self-contained airstairs and it I don't feel confident using them in one heel and on crutches, I slip out of my shoe and hand it to the rep that is assisting me in boarding or toss it up to the flight attendant. I don't think that I would call it a committment to fashion, but more of exercising my personal preference in footwear. E

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed lately when giving the safety announcements, they no longer say ladies should remove high heels, they just say high heels should be removed leaving out the gender bit. Anybody else notice this?

life is not a rehearsal

I have noticed lately when giving the safety announcements, they no longer say ladies should remove high heels, they just say high heels should be removed leaving out the gender bit. Anybody else notice this?

I think I highlighted that earlier on a similar thread.

I would say wear what you feel is comfortable and what your partner is comfortable with you wearing. Tight shoes may not be a good idea for a 6 hour flight and a stiletto is not good for a vintage biplane airliner.

Al

You hope you are just sitting on the airplane, but if something happens and you have to get out in a hurry - going down a slide and running across who knows what surface, it's better to have pants/slacks and sensible shoes you can run in.

All, I think I agree with Amanda Snake on this one-it is irrelevant what we men think of one woman's choice of footwear aboard a plane. She knew exactly (as does a man who wears heels on a place) what she was doing when she got up that morning. You might think she was wearing them for your viewing pleasure but she more likely just wanted to look great. Like one member pointed out; many of us drive in 5" heels or higher so it would be intellectually inconsistent to then criticize as impractical someone's choice of footwear on a place trip. ILK- I love Colorado and have tried to spend time there whenever possible over the years. Get your "Rocky Mountain high" two different ways: wear your heels on the way there and then keep them on as you step out at over a mile abobe sea level! HappyinHeels

If you have ever been involved in or even seen an emergency evacuation of an airliner, you would take the possibility a lot more seriously. Video of test evacuation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAkAcQOnQY&feature=related Video of the real thing from outside:

My wife and I were both involved with testing aircraft and either participated in or observed this kind of event, so we always traveled prepared.

If I recall the safety procedure talks and reading matter on the subject supplied in the airplane EVERYBODY would need to remove footwear before exiting the plane so as not to damage the escape slide.

Wow did that fire brigade had to come fom home? That really took ages for them to get there. I won't be flying to that airport in a hurry. Yep you do need to remove footwear before going of a slide. But will all do that in a hurry and panic state of emergency.

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

Had to laugh in a funny sort of way, my mate and his wife were on the plane that caught fire at Manchester airport a few years ago, he said he was out over the wing and gone. What about the wife I said don't know he said I was out of there and gone she has to fend for herself, charming I thought poor wife. Both got paid quite a few bob for their troubles later.

life is not a rehearsal

post-2779-0-03396400-1349943810_thumb.jp

Well done DWW.

Weather permitting 16 days

Al

Wow, that's awesome!!

We have a very nice B-17 about 5 miles down the road from us but I have other places for the $500 instead of a flight.

Enjoy your flight!

Best,

Larry

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

• 2 weeks later...