Plastic tipped heels.

Becky

I recently bought a gorgeous pair of black leather boots from Italianheels.com called 'Fabiana'. With import taxes etc they cost about £130.

When I received them I couldn't wait to open the box and try them on. You wouldn't believe how disappointed I was to find out they had plastic tipped heels. Now is it just me or would anybody else have expected metal tipped ones, surely the extra cost would have been negligible?

I prefer metal tipped ones for a number of reasons - they last much longer, they're not so slippery on tiled or laminate flooring and lastly, they make a nicer noise on hard floors :(

Posted Image

So many shoes & boots to buy in so little time!!

Hi Becky, I can sympathise with you on this because I bough a pair of stilettos sandals from Italianheels.com and although they are of wonderful quality, they too had plastic tips!! I was indeed most disappointed! I am sure that a cobbler or someone similar would re-tip them with metal tips for you without any trouble! Incidentally, I have always found metal tips to be more slippery than plastic ones, but then, it might have something to do with the way I walk or something! I agree with you about the sound tho! There is no sexier sound than metal-tipped stilettos!! Gorgeous boots, may you enjoy them fully! Jay x

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

I never thought of taking them to a cobbler to be re-tipped :( Do you think they'd have the right size tip for the heel shaft diameter? Thanks for the 'tip' by the way :rofl: Becks x

So many shoes & boots to buy in so little time!!

I find metal ones more slippery especially on hard terrazzo floors you can get in malls and some supermarkets. But I agree, they should fit metal ones as a matter of course, as it is OK on most surfaces and lasts a lot longer. I generally wear the plastic ones till they start to disintegrate, normally after less than a weeks wear, and then get them replaced with metal.

Nearly a weeks wear ! :( the plastic tips on my thigh highs were virtually shredded just from that one night! :lol: good news is that I have some metal tips salvaged from a pair of boots that were not suitable for anybody's use :( guess they'll be put to better use :( metal tips do tend to be slippier on non-grip surfaces such as tile and marble and they puncture soft surfaces with ease, so watch out on hot days on that tarmac!!

the plastic tips on my thigh highs were virtually shredded just from that one night!

Oh dear, don't step in the cracks then!

It does depend on the material of the heel top though; some plastics are quite soft, even though they should have better abrasion resistance for that application.

another thread was talking about the videos on the Archenemys web site, they have an accessories page with three sizes of metal tip that they sell individually for $4-$5 per pair. There is a jpg which I think is meant to show the sizes but whether that scales on to a screen in anything near a correct size is another question.

http://www.archenemys.com

/I

/I

Heels tips is made of brass (mässing) and a stud of steel the diameter of the stud is 2,91 mm If the cobbler don`t have the right size he use a grinding machine to form the brass to the style of the heels. I make the zorro-tips of tungsten-carbide(hard metal) they never worn out, durable for year. regards Zorro_Eric

Brass would be very poor metal to use, as it is quite soft. Do you have any more information on your tips Eric? Do you sell them or do repairs comercially. If you do, it's quite OK to say or post a link because it's very much within the context of the conversation.

• 2 weeks later...
:( At Becky's boots! I'd love a pair of those! (Damn calf muscles) All of my heels came with plastic tips, which as they mostly get worn on carpet are still in good shape. I've just had my favourite boots re-heeled with metal tips though. This morning I spent fifteen minutes wandering around the kitchen in them just to listen to the metal tips on my quarry tiles! :D £3.50 well spent I think.

Zorro-Erik wrote (Heels tips is made of brass (mässing) and a stud of steel the diameter of the stud is 2,91 mm) I have to say that´s not exactly right. Why?Beacuse yesterday I changed heeltips from shoes to boots.I thought they´d be the same but there was 3 different sizes and none of the shoestuds fitted the boot(to small stud).I took studs from 6 pair of shoes thats going in the bin anyway.I recyceling :(.So I ahve to go to the cobbler anyway and pay 8-12 Euro to get my platic or rubber tips(that´s best for me).I walk i doors in high heels and liv on the 5th floor so I dont want to disturb the neighbours.I can write the different sizes later just have to get the tool to check it with(skjutmått in Swedish).heeltips is another jungle out there :D Merry Christmas to every one from Jankas

I am who I am and no one else/Jankas