Enjoy Without Prejudice

Heelyboy

I was checking the response to a post I made http://www.hhplace.o...e-of-leather/�� and was surprised to find that the proprietors Rosa where I made my purchase “did not approve of any male heel wearing”.

I have been looking through posts related to this attitude and they all seem to be focused on the general public/media take on the issue. Personally I have found that designers and the fashion community are on the contrary the driving force for tolerance and innovation and are more concerned with creating beautiful footwear to lift the spirit of the wearer and be appreciated by all, gender is rarely mentioned.

I’m sure all male members of HHPlace who enjoy wearing heels have struggled with mainstream prejudice, trying to explain to their partners, the fear of being found out and outcast etc.

Thankfully there are communities like this that provide an invaluable resource for the sharing of experiences and intelligent discussion on the subject and this post is not intended as a criticism of the proprietors of Rosa, quite the opposite, I applaud them for their outstanding footwear collections and thank them for (unintentionally) enriching my life.

I am lucky to have long since come to terms with my preferences and appreciate and enjoy the extra dimension it has added to my life. To quote Anthony Hoppkins “ it is none of my business what other people say or think of me.

My faverite designer is fluevog. There really is no gender in their stores. Today I tried on 10 different pairs of heels. The sales people suggested other ones to try on as well. The sales girl can't believe how well I can walk in heels! I told for that I could run for a bus in heels. They all have to have a passion for shoes, or they can't work there. Go to their store sometime, they will make you feel important. No matter what gender you are! Its all about fashion.

I hve two pair of Rosa heels, both purchased pre-owned via ebay, they were in great condition. I have since worn one of the heel tip down. I contacted Rosa about replacements, noted to them I was a male. They were polite and applauded my deal I got via e-bay (about 50% of original price) but offered no assistance in aquirring replacement tips, stated they only help those who buy directly from them. Although a poor business attitude I did not get a negative impression from them that I, a male, was wearing their design. I have used basic 1/8" tips since. They have a unique tip design but it is not well made and will wear down quickly. Anyone here know where I could get steel replacements? They are two individuals as by benno above. They have only a coupe basicdesigns that are then packaged in pumps and boots. They are manufactured in Italy. Regards.

That's crazy. Surely a pair of Rosa shoes is a pair of Rosa shoes. Imagine buying a secondhand car and going to a dealer who sells them and being told they won't sell you spare parts because you bought the car from a private seller. Rosa... Have you ever heard of a mystery thing called repeat business? It's what makes companies stay afloat. I have had the little screws holding the arms of glasses fall out a couple if times. On one occasion I went into a local opticians and they replaced the screw and gave my glasses a thorough cleaning and wouldn't accept a penny from me. There's a cycling shop in Brighton that has lots of tools tethered to a big sign saying 'free tool use' outside their shop. The tools are used by passers by and, surprise surprise, the shop thrives and has had a loyal base of customers for about 30 years. A friend of mine snapped a carbon seat post off his expensive bike. He went to the shop and the member of staff phoned the boss to get him to speak to my friend. The guys said they could remove the seat post but it would be expensive. They then told my friend how they would remove the post saying it's easy but takes a long time hence the charge. That piece of advice has probably made them thousands of pounds as my friend will one day go back and buy a new triathlon bike from them for around £2000.

Edited by benno

To be perfectly honest, I am somewhat mystified why it is so important to reveal to a shoe vendor that you are male? OK, I can understand the need to campaign to make heels more universally available to guys but I don't think this applies when asking for spare parts etc. Moreover, I don't think that I would have mentioned that I had got them secondhand either...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 2 weeks later...

HeelyBoy, I agree that their attitude is not conducive to "repeat business" which is typically around 50% or more of most small business income in most countries.

Benno makes a great point how the concept of performing a service for nothing indeed captures the repeat business or captures first-time business. If I am passing by a business that I have never patronized and that same business assists me in some way then I am quite likely to have a great impression of them and will naturally want to see their merchandise either sooner or later.

Dr. Shoe also makes a point that should be heeded by many here about the irrelevance of one's gender when dealing with a shoe vendor. She wisely point the difference between the effort to extend heel availability to guys but doesn't believe this is releveant to communication with vendors. HinH

• 1 month later...

As a member who has never been a RoSa customer (or owner) who had exchanges with the owners a few years ago and reported here their 'no male wearers tolerated' attitude, I cannot say I am surprised by their refusal to supply replacement heel tips to a declared male owner. But, if that is in fact the universal RoSa attitude (i.e. we will not help anyone who is not the original purchaser) then it is, as others have said, a most un-businesslike and unacceptable stance. Even if RoSa maintains records that will instantly show that an owner is not the original purchaser, why should there be any objection to giving after-sales service? People do buy gifts for others, or move house (or even change their name) and possession is surely all one needs to obtain help with a (reputable) product. I have just experienced this in relation to a an electric oven made by a well-known UK manufacturer. I was not the original purchaser but was given the oven two years ago, along with a new door ready to fit in place of one broken when the oven was removed by the previous owner during a kitchen re-fit. It was only recently when I took both oven and door out of store to install them that the supplier error came to light - the door was the wrong model entirely! I phoned the manufacturer and, after a bit of discussion, was sent the correct door gratis. I was not the original purchaser and two years had passed. OK, the error in supply was purely down to the manufacturer but the customer service was very good.

As a small business owner, I certainly don't agree with that business attitude. It's a lot easier to keep existing customers happy (and therefore loyal) than to get new ones. Why would anyone do otherwise? Yet it astounds me how many businesses I encounter whose attitude is, "This would be a great business if it weren't for those damned customers!" Steve

Steve63130,

Despite the spin machine that the economy is in full recovery, my portfolio and economic historical research suggests quite a differfent picture, most smart businesses realize that any customers walking through their door should be welcomed with open arms. If not their doors will not be OPEN MUCH LONGER. My hat is permanently tipped to the small business owner who works his ass off just to keep those doors open. HappyinHeels

Discrimination (bullying) exist in all sorts of social environments. Everyone is entitled to think whatever they want, but having the right to refuse or give service to anyone could be considered socially degrading, if improperly applied. Hopefully, fairness and treating each person equally will win over the prejudical attitudes (which are learned behaviors) people have.

• 4 weeks later...

Heelyboy, thank you for your post. I especially love the quote from Anthony Hopkins. That's how we should all feel when we wear high heels in public.

roniheels, you are welcome and thank you for the positive feedback