Heels In The Snow

Curt

Please be careful in the snow everybody! We don't want you to get hurt and be timid about wearing heels again, or unable to! Take it easy, enjoy your heeled boots, and be VERY careful when going inside on smooth floors. Steve

You guys remember Cameron Diaz in the holiday? She was making her way in deep snow with steep pumps on. Looking posh as possible. A look I'm always striving for. Ash.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank You Lexus....

Yeah, I've seen that commercial a few times, and while my personal motto is: "If the streets ain't dry, then my heels ain't high", I sure do love that lady and her snowy catwalk strut!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Yeah, I've seen that commercial a few times, and while my personal motto is: "If the streets ain't dry, then my heels ain't high", I sure do love that lady and her snowy catwalk strut!

It has snowed quite a bit where I live again, and the Lexus lady (and the car) will be just fine just as long as it doesn't snow another inch or two. A little snow shouldn't interfere with your style too much, but a lot of snow will. That's just a fact. Also, we all know that guy is going to wind up in the ditch driving like that in the snow, all wheel drive or not, but oh well, it's just a commercial. Nevertheless, this video has somehow or other found its way to my favorites list on You Tube. It is pretty hot. Totally love her earrings, too.

On a more practical note, rubber heel tips are a MUST in the snow. OK, maybe not a must, but highly recommended. Not only is the grip superior in the actual snow and ice outside, they do not slip on the tile floor of the grocery store when slicked with slush the way that plastic heel tips do.

It has snowed quite a bit where I live again, and the Lexus lady (and the car) will be just fine just as long as it doesn't snow another inch or two. A little snow shouldn't interfere with your style too much, but a lot of snow will. That's just a fact. Also, we all know that guy is going to wind up in the ditch driving like that in the snow, all wheel drive or not, but oh well, it's just a commercial. Nevertheless, this video has somehow or other found its way to my favorites list on You Tube. It is pretty hot. Totally love her earrings, too.

On a more practical note, rubber heel tips are a MUST in the snow. OK, maybe not a must, but highly recommended. Not only is the grip superior in the actual snow and ice outside, they do not slip on the tile floor of the grocery store when slicked with slush the way that plastic heel tips do.

For your information, steel tips for heels work much better in snow than Rubber ones. Also you might want to note that you don't need all wheel drive cars in the snow. Most of the rest of the world gets on fine using snow tires and when it gets deeper they have metal studs in them for grip. Having a 4 wheel drive car in this day and age is not viable nor economical and only possible to feed by stealing oil from other countries.

Gosh, I really should know better to read posts in the guys thread.

For your information, steel tips for heels work much better in snow than Rubber ones. Also you might want to note that you don't need all wheel drive cars in the snow. Most of the rest of the world gets on fine using snow tires and when it gets deeper they have metal studs in them for grip. Having a 4 wheel drive car in this day and age is not viable nor economical and only possible to feed by stealing oil from other countries.

Don't be silly Amanda. You are more than welcome here.

I do have to agree with you the harder the heel tip the better. Sometimes the heel is the only grip you can get in a high heel. One just learns to "set" the heel with each step on snowy and icy surfaces.

Here in this part of the world, winter driving skills are essential for keeping one's job. I myself drive a 4 wheel drive pickup truck but that was not always the case. I've never used snow tires or studded snow tires, just regular all season tires.

4 wheel drive vehicles are only slightly less efficient than 2 wheel drive ones. Many of us need to drive in very bad weather, even before road crews have had a chance to clear the roads.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I agree that planting the heel works in ice and snow otherwise not much left for traction. Now that I am no longer in Pennsylvania where there was plenty of ice and snow I only have to watch out for wet floors here in Georgia. The amount of snow is very little and we usually don't go out as the folks around here cannot drive in snow. We are in the mountains so the roads do get slippery and yes, 4 wheel drive is very useful. We have an all wheel drive Subaru which does go about anywhere we want to along with almost 30MPG in local driving. Not all 4 wheel drive/all wheel drive vehicles are gas thirsty!

Don't be silly Amanda. You are more than welcome here.

I do have to agree with you the harder the heel tip the better. Sometimes the heel is the only grip you can get in a high heel. One just learns to "set" the heel with each step on snowy and icy surfaces.

Here in this part of the world, winter driving skills are essential for keeping one's job. I myself drive a 4 wheel drive pickup truck but that was not always the case. I've never used snow tires or studded snow tires, just regular all season tires.

4 wheel drive vehicles are only slightly less efficient than 2 wheel drive ones. Many of us need to drive in very bad weather, even before road crews have had a chance to clear the roads.

I drive a four wheel drive for my work truck and put on many miles a week. Some of us drive a large vehicle because we need to. Try load 1,000 pounds in the back of a Prius! Even so I would have a four wheel drive vehicle. Living in the snow belt they are not nessassary, but sure are nice to have when the weather gets bad, My wife has acted as a taxi and hauled people to work when they could not get on the roads with thier little front wheel drive cars.

Amanda, I do agree, as far as I am concerned you are welcome to drop in and post here too.

When wearing leather heels out in the snow, be sure they have a good coat of polish to protect them. Water on leather is bad but salt water is a disaster. Obviously suede boots should not be worn out in the salt. Since dress boots/shoes are not well insulated, the heat of your feet and legs will convect through the leather and tend to melt the snow on the surface of the shoe/boot. Be sure to wipe the water off your boots/shoes as soon as you can. I find that a stiletto heel gives me good traction on snowy surface, because your weight is concentrated on a small area, the heel will cut through the snow and some ice and reach all the way to the pavement. But as with any unusual walking surface, be careful. It is still easy to have the sole of the shoe/boot slip and give you a nasty ankle turn.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Absolute MEOWS to the Lexus Babe! Dont care for the car ( Overrated ) and I know it wont make it through the snow in places I go. Something to the subject though.. Ive noticed on ice, NOTHING matters. Metal, rubber, leather.. no heel really grabs at all. I have a pond out on the property that I was going to go skating on this coming weekend and I might grab a few pairs of different heels and see if I can ' slide ' in them. See which ones actually grab and which ones dont.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Yep, that's how I deal with glare ice in heels, I skate on it.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I have a pond out on the property that I was going to go skating on this coming weekend and I might grab a few pairs of different heels and see if I can ' slide ' in them. See which ones actually grab and which ones dont.

Sounds like an interesting little experiment. I hope your health insurance is up to date.

Sounds like an interesting little experiment. I hope your health insurance is up to date.

I play hockey. Will be wearing everything except the skates when I try this :D . Already planned ahead ;)

Hey All, I like snow and I like wearing heels in the snow as well. Now tell me the truth...who here doesn't like looking back occasionally to see your own heel prints??? That's half the attraction I think. HappyinHeels

I do it all the time. I have stiletto footprints all over my yard in the snow during the winter.

I play hockey. Will be wearing everything except the skates when I try this :D . Already planned ahead ;)

Good for you. We will be expecting a full report on your experiment. :)

Update : Pond is almost frozen over fully ( ice is 2.5 inches thick ). Should be solid by Saturday but storms are expected. I wont clear the pond off endless its 3+ inches thick. Im thinking of just clearing about 6 feet off the side and about 20 feet across and laying down safety matt to get a running/moving start on. Im going to use my Ninewest Pinktops as a wedge with a ' grippy ' bottom. I need to get a pair of metal spiked heels, a pair of plastic tipped heels and a pair of leather bottomed heels. Darian is going to help and be one of the guinea pigs ( yes, she has a full set of hockey equipment as mine fits her quite well ;) ) Any other suggestions for types or different materials for what to experiment with? Im even going to try a pair of hooker-pleasers just to see what happens. I should have a 1080p camera or something of the sorts to use by this weekend to make videos.

post-12379-0-31113200-1360260584_thumb.j

They don't let us use studded tires anymore. You could drive a caddyy fleetwood through a blizzard if you had good studded tires. These days, my one ton dually truck will get stuck on a half inch of hardpack snow.

in 2008 we visited my boyfriends parents in the Dallas/Ft Worth TX area for Christmas. This was the first time in 80 years the area iced over -bad-. It was my first time driving on ice, but I was shocked at how few other drivers were able to adapt to new conditions and had major problems. It was a very stressful drive but we made it back to their house.

(formerly known as "JimC")