Sole Liner Adhesive

pj22

It's been quite a while since my last post, but I do visit just about everyday to check for new posts. I am currently dealing with the paper-like sole lining of my sandals seperating from the footbed. Can anyone suggest a proper adhesive to reattach them? Thank you for responding.

One of my favotite is Weldwood contact cement. And get the good stuff with the red lable. There is a newer formula with a green lable that is not combustable but extemely toxic and have not had good results. Another hopeful is called liquid nails looks promising but have not used it much. They both cure flexible.

Barge contact cement is what I use. My cobbler swears by it. It's similar to Weldwood.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

• 1 month later...

After using that glue called Liquid nails I would say maybe not for shoes. It is quite similar to hot glue but goes on with a solvent of some sort of Benzine like Xylene or Toluine but after curing it can be melted by heat. While perfict for a project that has no flexing of parts but requires joining of dissimilar materials here is some data that suggests that it has no tolerance for flexing whereas Weldwood certanly does. Just stay away from that toxic green label and use Orignal recipie.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

try evostik contact adhesive.  it sticks like shit to a blanket.

I have used it to repair all sorts of materials including stick on soles on shoes.

WARNING

once the two surfaces come into contact that's it.  you WONT be able to part them so

make sure that you get the positioning right

post-3576-0-55460800-1390852406_thumb.jp

• 4 weeks later...

Evo-Stik or similar impact adhesive should do the trick.   (For those colonials not familiar with it, it is a rubbery adhesive using mostly toluene as a solvent and applied to both surfaces, allowed to dry and then the joint is carefully aligned and made.)

I have had some success recently repairing a pair of work boots (essentially trainers with steel toecaps) where the sole was coming away at the front - the result of too much kneeling and flexing!   Impact adhesive is quite effective but an easy and quick fix is to use (aerosol) spray adhesive, as often used for carpet-laying - it has the merit of being easy to direct into a narrow gap (as where sole is peeling away) and not needing an applicator.

Be careful of all 'liquid nails' or 'no more nails' type adhesives, usually in a cartridge or tube.   The solvent-free types are excellent products but dry hard and inflexible so are pretty useless, and will not work unless at least one surface is porous.   The solvented types (toluene) are very similar to impact adhesives and used in much the same way, so may be successful.   I won't name any products as they are not always known in other countries.

Hot glue from sticks applied with a simple electric glue-gun may also work as it is usually powerful and sufficiently flexible.   But as the joint has to be made within 15 - 20 seconds, it will be difficult to apply to anything other than a small area.