Heel-Less Platforms Going Mainstream?

tallguyinheels

I was in NYC the last weekend and many - if not most - of the shops are offering the heelless platforms. You can find them at Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Macy's and dozens of boutique shops on Manhattan. I'm not complete enthralled with the look - on me or a female. I even saw a young women wearing a pair - but close to Times Square. http://www.neimanmarcus.com/p/Giuseppe-Zanotti-Heel-Less-Platform-d-Orsay-Pump-d-Orsays/prod138930090/?ecid=NMCIGoogleProductAds&ci_sku=prod138930090skuGOLD&ci_gpa=pla&ci_kw={keyword}

Bah! Payless could sell those things for thirty bucks and I wouldn't be interested as those shoes are butt-ugly times ten!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Bah! Payless could sell those things for thirty bucks and I wouldn't be interested as those shoes are butt-ugly times ten!

Oh I'll agree most are pretty tacky, but I'm kinda interested in how they feel when walking,

Oh I'll agree most are pretty tacky, but I'm kinda interested in how they feel when walking,

It would probably feel like walking across a tightrope on rollerblades. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but I can't see the appeal of those things.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Ok i have to say that i do have a pair of them. I also thought they would be hard to walk on, but thay are not. I have found out that they are not made for walking any lenght of time or distance. I can wear mine for about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs at the most. I must say i'm not a big fan of the 2 1/2 inch platfrom. I think if it was only 1 or 1 1/2 inch that would be plenty.

I'll applaud when they do it without a platform! lol

I agree with Dr Shoe, and I've said it before, I am interested in the design and concept, but please take away those darn platforms.

Although, I have to admit, the platforms on the two pairs mentioned in this thread are a bit shorter than many of the others I've seen. If anyone ever finds any of these without platforms, and at moderate prices, I would love to know :)

Edited by hhboots

I think that it may be technically difficult to do without a platform.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Ah well, might have been a joke, and while it could be more challenging to design without a platform, I am sure its not impossible. Some examples are these vintage cantilever heels, but I think they could be designed today to be more sleek and inclined steeper:

http://www.poshgirlvintage.com/1960s-wood-black-suede-flame-cantilever-heels-665-p-1982.html

http://www.etsy.com/listing/68432087/vintage-shoes-60s-cantilever-heel-mules

Exactly. It was a joke.

Now, I actually really like that one.

That's what I was thinking. I do think I'll wait and see if they show up at DSW first, and then I might have to get a pair like the Chinese Laundry example. The GZ's look a bit more unstable, but it might be fun to try.

Heelster, how do the GZ shoes look more unstable? Chinese Laundry simply copied the design exactly.

Maybe just how it looks on the screen, but it looks like there is a slightly longer ' footprint ' on the Chinese Laundry version. If in fact they are the same, then I'm gonna watch for a pair to show up in a shop like DSW so I can see how well they fit. Never had great luck just ordering online........

In actual fact they are not heel less at all. All they've done is to cut some of the heel away. The end of the sole comes to the point where the bottom of the heel would be.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

They definitely have a smaller footprint than 'normal' heels of the same height. I picked up a shoe in Selfridges and compared them to a similar height shoe, also from Giuseppe Zanotti. The difference was about an inch less footprint.

Edited by benno

Besides my usual four-inch stiletto, I also wear a peep-toe platform, and on a dare a stripper platform, even ten steps in a ballet boot; all with ease. But I draw the line here. Most people think that in one of the afore mentioned shoes I am pushing the envelope of sanity into the danger zone of further leg injury. My attitude toward the heel less shoe is that I will read the reviews about them and not succomb to the act physically trying one, and my record of wearing any type of heel with crutches has one exception. E