It Pays To Be Open Minded

10 years ago I wouldn't have thought about high heels or any other non traditional attire, Yesterday - being open payed off big time!!! Needed some newer jeans. That means running down to the thrift store and digging through the racks. As usual, the mens jeans section is pretty crappy, and 90% of the selection look like they were made by Omar the tent maker. Come on people - who really wears a size 52x30 pair of jeans? OK somebody did at one time, but I'm nowhere close to that size. Being that the mens selection was kinda limited, I ventured off to the womens aisles which by far had a much better selection. Not knowing what size I am, it became a guessing game. after picking out 6 pairs to try on, I see a sign that says "50% off everything in the store - today only" - - good deal. I finally left the store with 8 pairs of jeans and 3 mini skirts (just in case the temps go back over 100 deg. again) Some of these jeans still had labels on them. Two pairs I really liked are really skinny jeans. Went searching the net a bit ago and discovered that the "Matchstick low rise black jeans" are by J crew - - OK - - I've never shopped at a J. Crew. Then I see the online price - - - - HOLY Cr#### - - !!! I just bought brand new, never been worn black skinny jeans for $3.00 a pair, regular price $125.00 My total thrift shop cash out was $17.54 Yeah - - I'm doin the happy dance.

I've bought a lot of good stuff from what we call charity shops here in the UK.

Charity shops, some courage with the scissors and a sewing machine - my standby for thirty years and more so I don't have to look like everyone else.

• 1 month later...

10 years ago I wouldn't have thought about high heels or any other non traditional attire,

Yesterday - being open payed off big time!!!

Needed some newer jeans. That means running down to the thrift store and digging through the racks. As usual, the mens jeans section is pretty crappy, and 90% of the selection look like they were made by Omar the tent maker. Come on people - who really wears a size 52x30 pair of jeans? OK somebody did at one time, but I'm nowhere close to that size.

Being that the mens selection was kinda limited, I ventured off to the womens aisles which by far had a much better selection. Not knowing what size I am, it became a guessing game. after picking out 6 pairs to try on, I see a sign that says "50% off everything in the store - today only" - - good deal.

I finally left the store with 8 pairs of jeans and 3 mini skirts (just in case the temps go back over 100 deg. again) Some of these jeans still had labels on them. Two pairs I really liked are really skinny jeans. Went searching the net a bit ago and discovered that the "Matchstick low rise black jeans" are by J crew - - OK - - I've never shopped at a J. Crew. Then I see the online price - - - - HOLY Cr#### - - !!!

I just bought brand new, never been worn black skinny jeans for $3.00 a pair, regular price $125.00

My total thrift shop cash out was $17.54

Yeah - - I'm doin the happy dance.

That was a smart move!

:headphones:   :cowboy:     Come and visit our Youtube Channel now!    :cowboy:    :headphones:

• 1 month later...
I buy all of my jeans at thrift shops. They are all in good condition and I have paid less than $2 for each pair. Also, I cannot believe all of the various style of high heels at one of the thrift shops I frequent . Sadly, I have not found any my size.

I buy all of my jeans at thrift shops. They are all in good condition and I have paid less than $2 for each pair. Also, I cannot believe all of the various style of high heels at one of the thrift shops I frequent . Sadly, I have not found any my size.

I've gotten lucky with a couple of shoe purchases, but I find better deals at garage sales in certain neighborhoods when it comes to shoes. Also find better deals with shoes right after prom and wedding seasons. For some reason, the usual selection of shoes look like they were worn out before they even made it too the thrift shop.

Here in the UK most boroughs place a heavy restriction on how much can go into landfill. Textiles, paper, glass, plastics etc. all go in the recycling but shoes have to go in "general" waste which is often overfull anyway so the solution is to donate worn shoes to the charity shop so that they have to dispose of anything that they can't sell. Some people often donate a single shoe etc!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Here in the UK most boroughs place a heavy restriction on how much can go into landfill. Textiles, paper, glass, plastics etc. all go in the recycling but shoes have to go in "general" waste which is often overfull anyway so the solution is to donate worn shoes to the charity shop so that they have to dispose of anything that they can't sell. Some people often donate a single shoe etc!

One shoe? They accept that? Most charities around where I live are picky as hell as to what they accept for clothing.

It sounds bad, but recycling hasn't done well here in the states. If they can't make money on it, it goes in the trash. You can not imagine the amount of recycleable materials go straight to the dump.

I also buy all my jeans, and most of my other clothes, at thrift shops. I only wear women's jeans because they fit my skinny butt so much better. It's really hard to judge womens sizes. I bought 2 pair of Gap jeans, both labeled the same size. One pair fits perfect, the other pair is much tighter. Go figure.