More things to do at heel meetings.

Calv

Now there is a place for shopping trips, especially to help the less adventurous get out there and buy girlies shoes in shops. The thing is that once you have seen the new season's fashions, no matter in which city you are, all the shops are from the same national chains. Before now, Firefox and I have gone to events like the Guildford Symphony Orchestra, but I know this isn't everybody's cup of tea. The impromptu Rocky Horror Show would also have been something where people could let their hair down and heels up ! One thing sprung to mind as an example, like a day trip to York to walk on the walls, do the Castle Museum and the Railway Museum. BTW, Calv says the shops in York are 'unspectacular'. OK, Guys and Girls, suggestions on a postcard please. Xa .... on Calv's PC

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

I have very broad tastes in music so I'm up for anything from classical orchestral, dance/trance, Jazz or MOR. The only things I don't enjoy are opera and ballet.

Heelfan and I both play golf, so if anyone fancies a round on the shorter type of course, that's an option. And following my recent trip to Lille, a day trip to Paris on Eurostar would be nice, if somewhat expensive. A trip to Brighton would be good too. There's plenty to do there with The Lanes, Pavillion, music scene, good shopping, alternative culture, interesting pubs, great restaurants, ten pin bowling, the pier, arcades, golf, and beach too.

PS Metro centre in Gateshead is good too. It's some time since I've been but you can probably get a flavour of the latest attractions on their website

The Forum, Garden Court, Mediterranean Village and The Village offer everything from Indian art to collectables and Victorian Jewellery.

Open seven days a week, late every weekday, with many restaurants and leisure attractions open even longer. More and more visitors are coming after work in the evening to enjoy an hour or two of shopping and a meal in one of the many restaurants, cafés and bars.

Uncover the world of Shoppertainment at the Centre and visit the 11 screen UCI Cinema, The New MetroLand indoor theme park and the Megabowl Entertainment Centre. A vast programme of Shoppertainment is organised for your enjoyment throughout the year, which is free fun for all the family. Check out the What’s on Page for further information.

It is 75% shops but there is a lot else going on as you can see.

I'm fairly into preserved transport and will happily spend a whole day going round loco sheds looking at engines in various states of repair, riding on the trains, looking round the stations/museum etc. I think this is a fairly limited taste though so I wouldn't want to push this on people.

The NRM at York is a great place to go if you wish to see a history of trains. I went in May this year after chasing LNER A4 60009 Union of South Africa to York and back. While we were waiting for the delayed arrival of that train, we were treated to another steam engine on it's way to Scarborough. In this case it was an 8F in late BR black. Needless to say, Jackie now wants models of both the A4 and 8F. While waiting for the return trip to set off we went round the NRM. I took a load of photos and a couple of Jackie standing between the buffers of a 'Ducchess'. I think we covered the entire site. Jackie was wearing flat shoes, while I was in 4" ankle boots :( No-one made any comments! The floors in parts of the museum allow for some great 'clicking' sounds :( ps. admission to the NRM is free!

I'd certainly be up for a train-related meet. I'm very interested in railway history and have managed to get both of my kids completely addicted too. Trouble is that they'd want to come, and then I'd have to dress a hell of a lot more conservatively than I'd like :(

I'd certainly be up for a train-related meet. I'm very interested in railway history and have managed to get both of my kids completely addicted too. Trouble is that they'd want to come, and then I'd have to dress a hell of a lot more conservatively than I'd like :(

Pity you didn't say about the trains! The layout is in the front bedroom !!