Hidden Heels... Maybe Not Pointless

onyourtoes

When I first started seeing hidden wedge sneakers on various sites I thought, "How pointless." But, I find as I get older, my confidence in wearing heels on the street has diminished, though I still like the feel of a heel and being a bit taller. Enter the Classics by Buffalo 2208 (solestruck.com). post-37-0-31699900-1344990570_thumb.jpg It comes in men's sizes to 13, and has a 3 1/2 inch hidden wedge heel -- see the arrow on the photo. To the casual eye, they look like flat boots, but there are differences: the arches bulge up more, they look smaller than my other shoes -- when I opened the box I thought they had shipped the wrong size, and someone watching closely might detect that my legs are longer and my ankles bend a bit higher than they should (mostly noticable with shorts). So, I get heels, height, no stares, and by getting used to wearing them out of the house, they give me back of bit of the confidence I've lost, so that when I wear "real heels," they will feel natural and I'll feel more confident. Think of them as confidence training wheels/heels.

Very cool, just got a pair of hidden heel sneakers also. While not as high as I'd like, I've been able to wear them anywhere without anyone noticing or commenting. Even to the dentist yesterday, or around co workers. I'm even considering getting a pair of elevator shoes to wear as work boots.

(formerly known as "JimC")

I've tried a pair of hidden heel men's shoes from TallMensShoes, but they really look rather orthopedic, and are quite heavy compaired to womens stilletto pumps. I've also inserted a pair of 1" lifts into my ordinary velcro strap sneakers from Walmart. I also have a custom pair of western boots with a more slender feminine 3" heel on the way from Miguel Jones in Mexico. My goal is to gradually transition from spousal don't-ask-don't-tell, to acceptance in moderate, marginally feminine footwear.

These are clearly a nice option for those who don't have the confidence to heel in public but experience the feeling of heeling out doors.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

Heels59: Well, yea, almost any footwear style is clunky compared to stiletto pumps ;)

I think I've jumped in with both feet as far as wedge sneakers. This pair I've worn to the dentist this week and they did not mention a thing.

Steve Madden Olympiaa with about a 2.5" hidden heel.

Posted Image

And just yesterday ran into a pair of these 4" wedge sneakers. Not as hidden, but with the right jeans they still just look like sneakers.

Steve Madden Lleve

Posted Image

Not as svelte as stilettos, but you can tell these are 4" heels. Will work well as discrete shoes when I feel like wearing higher heels without attention.

(formerly known as "JimC")

While I could never say that the hidden heels are pointless, I just wouldn't get the same enjoyment from a pair like those shown. While the feeling of height is there, for me at least, there must be a style component that goes with the heel height, and anything that looks like a gym shoe or a hiking boot is not to my personal liking. Too bad, as some of those could absolutely be worn just about anywhere without being noticed!

I think this sort of shoe creates the illusion of smaller feet peeping out from under a pair of jeans, which makes for a pretty cute casual style component. much more so than the equivalent flat version of the shoe. If I saw I style of these I liked they'd be a welcome addition to my collection and I could imagine wearing them a lot day to day.

Edited by SleekHeels

If you like it, wear it.

I don't really get it. Why don't they just make wedge heels for men or platforms to get more height? Wouldn't that be a lot easier and more stylish? There is nothing stylish about these shoes - In fact they are rather ugly as are most men's shoes. When will men's shoes make the leap from fugly and utilitarian to stylish and beautiful?

Jamie :)

Fashion Freedom for Men!!

When will men's shoes make the leap from fugly and utilitarian to stylish and beautiful?

Oh, I'd say around the same time man walks on Mars. In other words, don't hold your breath.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I just bought a pair of hidden wedges from Topshop. They are great! Really comfortable, and great for day to day wear. You can barely see the difference from normal high tops, even with shorts on...

• 2 weeks later...

Burying out an older topic....

I think wedges and hidden heels are great for building courage and confidence wearing high heels.

I just bought 2 pairs from Mustang Shoes, and when i'm out shopping or else i usually wear them. Gave me lot of confidence, and almost no one noticed.

Those are the boots:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by CrazyIcecap

Who the heck is General Failure and why is he reading my Disk?

I showed these to my partner, who loves them. We headed straight to New Look to buy her a pair. Does anyone have any idea in the UK where I could get a men's pair? I'd quite like a masculine looking sneaker/trainer, but with the hidden heel.

ejs, how is the fit on the Top Shop wedges? Very few wedge sneaker styles come larger than US women's 10 (UK 8), and the ones marked 11 seem to be European 41 which is too small -- I've sent back 2 pairs to other shops, so far. I discovered Top Shop ships to the US, and it looks like they have UK 9 which ought to fit.

Hi. I find the fit fairly true to size. The UK9 will be an eu 42, which would be better for me than the eu 41 that I bought just to try the style. The fur lined ones go up to eu 42 so I will be getting a pair of them for the forthcoming months!

• 3 weeks later...

I have just bougth a pair of sneakers with hidden wedge in Blanco. They are the largest size avalaible, 41EU, and I thougth they would fit so tightly but, what a nice surprise, they fit very well on my 42EU feet.Posted Image

I think I'll go out on these, but only at remote places where it's difficult to meet any known person, because the back of the sole is quite narrow, showing that it's a girls shoes

The point is: You are choosing what you will wear. I have considered elevators, but my desire to wear heels goes beyond just being taller and feeling the height. It is just as important to be able to place my feet into a pair of my pedestaled choices and be able to feel, not only by touch, but by seeing the styling of the lines and exploring the radiance of the material(s) that are the source of my focus. I love the opportunities to shop and select from the display or straight off the shelf or rack, the pairs of heels that have won my attention. Trying them on to make sure they fit or can fit is not only necessary to get the best sizing, it also helps you to maintain a healthy stride as I continue to wear them. Now that everything feels good and my desires have been satisfied at this point, I'm ready to checkout. Sometimes, I wear my new stilettos as I leave the store, depending on the circumstances.

• 1 month later...

I have two pairs of some what hidden sneakers, though, the 'heel' part is thin, and as frikopie said, one can tell. oh well, I like them :) I've worn the brown ones out before...late at night but :) Just got the black ones a few days ago

http://hhplace.org/gallery/album/275-brown-high-top-wedge-sneaker/

http://hhplace.org/gallery/album/274-black-wedge-fashion-sneaker/