Cardboard Heels

benno

As an ex primary school teacher (and skinflint) I love the idea. (As a mother it reminds me of taking children to buy shoes - you say, 'Walk in them,' and they walk round the shop as if they had shoe boxes strapped to their feet..) If you wore them out, you wouldn't be wearing them home though, would you?

I should think they'd be quite easy to make with trial and error...

That's what I would think too. Fact is, I could have never thought of this myself to begin with. Now that I see that, it looks rather easy.

Winde Reinstra. From the Netherlands. Makes cardboard shoes. I'm sure there's a joke about the Netherlands and wooden shoes, if I just look hard enough. Based on the foot positioning, they look fairly high. At that height, there must be more to the design balance and structural sturdiness than meets the eye.

Edited by HHeeler

They look like a lot of fun to try to make. Last year I used stacked balsa wood to make a pair of my own, but cutting it just right layer after layer was difficult, and with a final count of 62 layers, not something I'd want to try again. Cardboard seems a lot easier and cheaper... and disposable.

Based on the foot positioning, they look fairly high. At that height, there must be more to the design balance and structural sturdiness than meets the eye.

I remember years ago seeing a bridge built on television entirely out of corrugated cardboard. To demonstrate the strength they even drove a car over the bridge. Don't underestimate the strength of corrugated cardboard bonded many layers thick. I have a box made out of triple layer corrugated and it is very strong.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Anyone remember cardboard furniture? It was big in the 60s and then disappeared. I saw a guy on 4 Rooms on TV that made an amazing shell backed cardboard chair. It's the one with the man sitting on it in the attached photo. I think for shoes the card needs to be positioned together instead of using it folded to get the rigidity and strength. I should get in touch with a guy I know who owns and rents out time on his laser cutter. Anyone on here good at 3d modelling that could come up with a basic design?

post-2110-0-77499900-1344506254_thumb.jp

post-2110-0-21449100-1344506263_thumb.jp

post-2110-0-36747900-1344506277_thumb.jp

post-2110-0-39284700-1344506285_thumb.jp

post-2110-0-25011700-1344506291_thumb.jp

post-2110-0-31121400-1344506298_thumb.jp

post-2110-0-94993800-1344506304_thumb.jp

Edited by benno

Anyone remember cardboard furniture? It was big in the 60s and then disappeared.

I saw a guy on 4 Rooms on TV that made an amazing shell backed cardboard chair. It's the one with the man sitting on it in the attached photo. I think for shoes the card needs to be positioned together instead of using it folded to get the rigidity and strength.

I should get in touch with a guy I know who owns and rents out time on his laser cutter.

Anyone on here good at 3d modelling that could come up with a basic design?

I'd give it a go, but I can't say when I would be done - - - like I need to have another project.

- - - - I'm so far behind, I think I'm first!!

Corrugated card is very strong end to end, like books won't bend if you squeeze them end to end. It's to do with each sheet holding its neighbour up. At school we had corrugated plastic, just like the card, for the children to use in DT. You could wear that in the rain, though I suppose the point would be lost.

Just get a favourite shoe, lay it done on its side and draw round it... You can then test out a single piece of cardboard and keep trimming it until you have the basic shape you want. Then draw round it to gat several pieces the same and glue them together, starting with the centre line and working outwards. Remember to make some reverse shapes for the other shoe. You can then start building up the sides as you get to them.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Somehow the idea of using leather gives the impression of long term and not so expendable. Now this can be done maybe varnish the outside when finished but what about the bottom material. One possibility would be roadkill tier tread and stick it on with calender rubber.

Sorry, Mike, I was being facetious. I meant a leather shoebox to keep the cardboard shoes in, like SleekHeels was suggesting. I imagine corrugated leather would make a pretty permanent shoebox, and afterwards you could cut it up and make something else. Shoes maybe.

I think it looks ridiculous. I've made some of my own furniture, but I'd never make it out of cardboard. Wouldn't wear heels of cardboard, either.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Sorry, Mike, I was being facetious. I meant a leather shoebox to keep the cardboard shoes in, like SleekHeels was suggesting. I imagine corrugated leather would make a pretty permanent shoebox, and afterwards you could cut it up and make something else. Shoes maybe.

Possibly I missed something but a cardboard shoe could be a long term survivor. With my expireance in machanical engeneering I uderstand that there is a relationship between stress and the service life of a component. So lets say we take several plies of cardboard with the holes vertical to best support the wieght and find some sort of long term stiff bottom to attach a rubber outsole then the life expectancy of the structure could easily justify a lether interior. Especially if the leather came from some other worn out item.

Funny thing that happened some few years back while I was listening to two technicians that repaired drilling machines. They were talking about testing something or so I had thought. These machines used switching modules to convert power to higher frequency to run the drill moters at sixty-thousand RPM and when they would fail there was a complicated test proceedure. Unplug the module and connect the tester then push the test button and the light would light or not then take the test lead and connect it to this point and push the button and after a series of steps the unit was tested. So the next day I handed one of these techinicians a little box and said here is the tester you wanted. What is this we have testers what are you talking about. So I said just plug in the module push one button and red light or green light all test proceedure is in the box. He gave me the chicken eye and connected a good unit got a green light. Went for a failed unit and got a red light then tried several failed units and the only differance was if the red came on with the button push or not. The green only came on for good units. In the shortest time he loved it but it was born out of a misunderstanding.