Posted on behalf of Phil as received by email:

I would like to find someone who can help me alter a

pair of dress loafers that I own. In fact, what I

want to do is described below. The result I'm looking

for is further exposing my foot while not destroying

their overall wear-ability. I fully intend to wear

these to work.

Don't know if you can help me or point me in the right

direct so that I can find someone who can.

I'm moving back to the UK in a few weeks ... but visit

every few weeks on business.

Thanks in advance,

Phil

* Shorten the vamp as far as possible down towards

the toe of the shoe without causing the shoe to fall

off when walking at a normal pace / normally.

* Relocate the cross strip at the top of the vamp

down to the top of the modified vamp

* Remove about 2 cm from the top of the shoe opening

all the way round to the instep (inside)

* Cut out the instep (inside) from where it meets the

vamp through to where the heel of the shoe starts

totally exposing the arch on the inside of the foot

* Cutting out the sole at the inside of the shoes

from the heel to where the vamp starts. The cut

should be made in a “C” fashion so that only the

portion that actually supports the shoes remains …

from the ball of the foot, under the arch, and through

to the heel.

I’ve also attached a JPG of what I’m after:

Posted Image

If Dr Shoe had some ideas it would be appreciated. Probably the thing is not to adversely affect the wearability.

Apart from a court shoe and a riding boot, the loafer is probably one of the only styles of shoe that is designed mainly for function and not for fashion. (Though the shape can be fashionable like Patrick Cox's Wannabies). The tongue is a split and lifted flat vamp (technical term I know) designed so that the pattern is not distorted and can be cut from one piece of leather. The bar has two functions, it secures the tongue in place and hides a seam (usually) sometimes this has a small piece of elastic to donning and doffing. Lowering the vamp is possible as is relocating the bar and should not be beyond the scope of any high class repairer/shoemaker, even a cobbler might be able to do it. It involves cutting the vamp which will have to be skived and folded so you don't have a raw edge. Cutting away the side and part of the sole is not possible because the topline holds the shape of the shoe and it will probably collapse. Besides, you would most likely walk out of them.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

OK, this might be difficult to do, but what about cutting down the uppers leaving a bit to spare, and them sewing that round a thick cord which could be glued in place and tensioned so as to provide a basis for a new uppers top line. This is similar to the Indian Maccosin constuction. The stiffened top line fits round the back of the foot in the normal way, keeping them in place during walking.

Yes I thought that might be the case. Merely sewing over the top line would give some stiffness but I don't think it would be enough to keep them on whle walking. It's easier to alter the line of some shoes where there are some straps to perform the hoding on functions.

• 8 months later...