An Unusual Experience With New Work Boots

As I have joked before, I spend most of my time in work boots. Usually steel toe although I have stayed away from them for about a year. The last pair of steel toe boots I bought screwed up my toes and feet so bad I had to pitch them. I have never had a decent comfortable pair of steel toes so I try to avoid them at all cost. So last Wednesday I find out I have to travel friday morning to a plant, and steel toes are a "must have" with no exceptions. Thursday I head out shopping at the nearest work wear shop. I walk in the door and head right to the mens work boots with my wife close behind. The lady associate inquires about what I'm looking for. My first question - - Got anything in a mens 7-1/2 or maybe an 8 - - - -?? As I expected the answer was no, with the exception of one pair of $312.xx boots on sale for $254.00. My company only pays up to $150.00 every two years, and there was no way I was buying this pair at $254.00 as they were way more than I really needed. In general, the smallest size they carry in mens is a size 9. So what do I do next? I was just about to go to Walmart and buy a cheap boot in the smallest size knowing full well they would be trashed in a short period of time. All of a sudden the sales associate asked if I had any problems looking at womens boots as they were now stocking more of them in an effort to keep the ladies from the mens department. It seems they realized all the women were buying up the smaller sizes out of the mens department, and some of their supplies caught wind of this. So off we go and low and behold, a size 9 in the womens boots fit perfectly. Not quite as high a shaft as I would like, but they fit and seemed like they would be comfortable. Now here is the kicker - - - The same boot in the mens department was $154.00 but the womens boot was $112.00. Same everything except the womens boot had extra padding and fitting for women. Guys - we are getting ripped off. The prices in the womens aisle in general were lower for the same boots. I spent 16 hours in these boots, toes were great, a bit of a heel rub which will most likely go away with some more break in time. The wife got a kick out of the way I faked not knowing what size I probably was in womens which let the sales associate assume I had no knowledge regarding womens shoes. I purposely let the sales associate lead the way. So now I can honestly say I spend most of my time in womens boots. Some of the guys at work know it, and they think it's hillarious (in a good way) and are whining about what they have to pay for their boots. Gotta love it.

I'm sure that it was possible to get short stilettos with steel toes in the 70s, I remember our apprentice class choosing our first steelies and asking for heels from the advert poster. Al

I'm sure that it was possible to get short stilettos with steel toes in the 70s, I remember our apprentice class choosing our first steelies and asking for heels from the advert poster.

Al

With the way OSHA and Workers Comp officials are lately, I wouldn't expect such these days. Besides that, given the work places I have to deal with, there is no way I would even consider it.

As an example, we don't wipe up grease spots on the floor, we shovel it up. No matter what color boots buy buy, they will be black and grungy within a week.

When the idea of steel toe safety high heels first came to I was not thinking about stilettos or maxi heels but more like chunky heels. And also that little thing about safety because I can easily take some malleable 1018 and fashion some steel caps to fit over some nice boots but the more protection they have the bigger the hammer and the more banging to get the shape. A little bit of searching did turn up some steel toe stilettos that appeared to be for show and not too much real protection.

Most of the work boots I've worn for the last 20 years have been womens models. They seem to fit better, as well as being more fun :)

The best you might do for heeled work boots are linemans boots, which are kinda like 1.5" heels. Not much.

Meganiwish: Were they the Hunter Champeray boot?

Posted Image

I have a pair of these. Have worn them to one jobsite. They are actually decently stable and comfortable to wear.

(formerly known as "JimC")

Most of the work boots I've worn for the last 20 years have been womens models. They seem to fit better, as well as being more fun :)

The best you might do for heeled work boots are linemans boots, which are kinda like 1.5" heels. Not much.

Loggers have a bit of an elevated heel, but not enough to really consider them high. Maybe an inch at best.