Oxford University Rewrites Gender Dress Code

This report came from the BBC news website.

Oxford University rewrites gender dress code

Oxford University students will no longer have to wear gender-specific academic clothing after concerns it was unfair to the transgender community.

It will mean men can attend formal occasions in skirts and stockings and women in suits and bow ties.

The new rules come after a motion by the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Queer society (LGBTQ Soc) was passed by the students' union earlier this year.

The changes, to start from 4 August, have now been agreed by the university.

Jess Pumphrey, LGBTQ officer, said the change would make a number of students' exam experience significantly less stressful.

Under the old laws on academic clothing - known as subfusc - male students were required to wear a dark suit and socks, black shoes, a white bow tie and a plain white shirt and collar under their black gowns.

Female students had to wear a dark skirt or trousers, a white blouse, black stockings and shoes and a black ribbon tied in a bow at the neck.

If a transgender student wanted to wear subfusc of the opposite sex they had to seek special dispensation from university proctors, who had the power to punish those who breached the rules.

An Oxford University spokesman said: "The regulations have been amended to remove any reference to gender, in response to concerns raised by Oxford University Student Union that the existing regulations did not serve the interests of transgender students."

I've never seen the "Q" added or referred to before, I not aware whether it is relative only for Oxford Uni. or the press "adding" words of which I could suspect (foolishly on their part). However I don't believe the BBC would be stupid to use the Q word?

Al

Edit

Well I stand enlightened it seems this is often used. However my union (UNITE) has never used it and I personally would feel it unnessesary, even insulting.

Edited by Alsheels

Yes, the "Q" stands for queer as some homosexual people prefer it. IIRC it is more to describe the effeminate gay man (who is probably a queen as well) or the very butch lesbian.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Not sure, but I think the Q is for "gender queer". Androgyny would fall in this catagory.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

This report came from the BBC news website.

Oxford University rewrites gender dress code

Oxford University students will no longer have to wear gender-specific academic clothing after concerns it was unfair to the transgender community.

It will mean men can attend formal occasions in skirts and stockings and women in suits and bow ties.

The new rules come after a motion by the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Queer society (LGBTQ Soc) was passed by the students' union earlier this year.

The changes, to start from 4 August, have now been agreed by the university.

Jess Pumphrey, LGBTQ officer, said the change would make a number of students' exam experience significantly less stressful.

Under the old laws on academic clothing - known as subfusc - male students were required to wear a dark suit and socks, black shoes, a white bow tie and a plain white shirt and collar under their black gowns.

Female students had to wear a dark skirt or trousers, a white blouse, black stockings and shoes and a black ribbon tied in a bow at the neck.

If a transgender student wanted to wear subfusc of the opposite sex they had to seek special dispensation from university proctors, who had the power to punish those who breached the rules.

An Oxford University spokesman said: "The regulations have been amended to remove any reference to gender, in response to concerns raised by Oxford University Student Union that the existing regulations did not serve the interests of transgender students."

I've never seen the "Q" added or referred to before, I not aware whether it is relative only for Oxford Uni. or the press "adding" words of which I could suspect (foolishly on their part). However I don't believe the BBC would be stupid to use the Q word?

Al

Edit

Well I stand enlightened it seems this is often used. However my union (UNITE) has never used it and I personally would feel it unnessesary, even insulting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queer Edited by johnieheel

real men wear heels