Rubber Platform Heels Worn Down.

Can vintage rubber heels from pedwin platform shoes be repaired? I am worried, because these loafers are the most comfortable I've ever worn. I bought them deadstock, and wear them once a week. A don't want to ruin them. I wear a different pair of shoes or boots every day.

Once again there is not enough information here to supply a complete answer. So what sort of rubber and what sort of heel and what sort of wear and how to repair or restore. So assuming a few details here one can take some road kill tire tread and cot it any way one can to achieve the desired shape and apply some calender rubber in the proper thickness which would be thin and warm the whole mess and the new rubber will fuse to the original and the patch piece. It will not be necessary to destroy what is left of your shoes with the same tempreture that is used to retread a used tire but by doing this at a lower tempreture it will just take longer. The durigen rubber can be found on the side of the road and cut with a band saw or thin blade hand saw then the good old bench grinder is a good way to shape the replacement part. As for the original one may guess that it is not desired to grind away too much material so then to avoid that one must match the patch to the shape of what is left. Anyway it can be done and I have done it.

• 3 weeks later...