The New Adventures Of Radiodave

radiodave

Shoot, it's been two years since I've posted any outings? Apparently my old thread got locked because it was languishing. Took a hiatus from heeling for a while, having lost some interest in heeling, but it slowly came back. About a year ago I was really wondering if I was really a CD, but I realized that no, I'm not really a CD, just a guy who likes women's shoes much more than men's shoes. After the last girlfriend had a major malfunction over women's shoes, I really wondered "do I thin the dating pool considerably by doing something many women aren't that cool with, or do I better myself, and get over my foibles?". Unfortunately I almost convinced myself of that, and for a while it felt liberating to put them away. Over the last several months I've been going through a recovery program through my church, namely because I was still dealing with negative feelings from my divorce from 4 years ago. While it improved that aspect, there was still something lacking. Then I realized what it was. I wasn't being myself, I was fooling myself. I didn't even follow my own advice and I had thinned the shoe collection considerably. Then I realized what it was. I'm not at my best because I'm not being myself. Uy veh. Life is short, and even from my church I've learned you can't please everyone. So, I've started accumulating again, and I've decided life is too short to please everyone, so while many people might think you're the village weirdo for wearing women's shoes, or the ignorant masses might think you're gay, I realized that no, I'm not gay no matter how many stereotypes I might fit, and I have faith that when the right woman comes along, she will. I was married to one who accepted them, it could happen again. That said, I had an outing today. I picked up a pair of flats from Payless last night, and like them a lot. I took the hair off my feet, trimmed my nails, and wore them out today for a little shopping. Wore my jeans, my pink polo shirt, and my flats. Went over to the mall on the west side of Cleveland, and wanted to go to Aldo, one of my favorite places. I had some trepidation, not having been out in them for a while, but soon it was like riding a bike again. Nobody seemed too interested in a guy wearing women's flats. One guy and a couple girls looked, but that's about it. I looked at a pair of black espadrille wedge pumps at Aldo, which they had in my size, but they were small even by Aldo standards. Nothing in a larger size. Rats. I wandered over to Dillard's and saw they had some black Steve Madden pumps in black suede. They had them in my size, and they fit perfectly. The guy assisting didn't seem at all flustered when I tried them on. Maybe that's why I like shoe shopping, the thrill of trying them on in the store. Score one pair. Wandered back through Aldo, and saw a pair of blue suede pumps I liked. Lucked out, they were on clearance and I figured they were surely sold out, but they had my size and they fit perfectly. Wandered through the DSW next to the mall, but didn't see too much that caught my eye. Stopped by another mall along the way, one of the swankier places around. One guy took a long, hard look as I walked by, but it felt good to be wearing comfortable shoes that I happen to like, even if they may look a little strange. Saw an awesome pair of purple pumps at Aldo, and had to think really hard about those, but the price was a little too high. Stopped by Famous Footwear and saw a pair of tan espadrille pumps that I liked, and the price was right. Very comfortable. The lady assisting asked if I'd like another pair for 1/2 off, so I took a quick look around, but didn't spot anything that called out. Seems that offer is still open though, she stapled a coupon so I can come back at some point and take advantage of the 1/2 off another day. Good day overall. Spent almost the whole day in my flats. Yes, I realize this the High Heel Place, but I wasn't in a heeling mood today. Maybe some other day. As Steven Tyler would say, I'm back in the saddle again :silly:

post-1101-0-40080800-1342916911_thumb.jp

post-1101-0-95970500-1342916919_thumb.jp

post-1101-0-65416000-1342916929_thumb.jp

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's good to read one of your adventures again, Dave. I always enjoy hearing about your encounters. I love those wedges and your flats are pretty cool too!

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

I totally agree with your sentiment that life's too short to spend it not being yourself. It sounds like you had a great day shoe shopping and those look like some really nice heels you bought (just a small gripe with the photos, we can't actually see the heels of the black and blue suede pairs!). That's a fabulous shade of blue, I recently bought a similar pair but I've not had a chance to wear them out yet.

I once wore my flats to go shoe-shopping and in some ways having so much of the foot exposed attracts more attention than a pair of high-heeled wedge boots under jeans for example. Those flats also immediately communicate to the sales assistants and other customers that you're serious about buying heels for yourself, which I think makes for a better shopping experience all round.

If you like it, wear it.

OK dude - which malls did you hit west of Cleveland - - I need to see a better selection and you obviously found them. I'm way farther west, but I could see a trip east to whatever area your shopping.

Hey, Dave! I'm really glad to see you're back into heeling again! We've missed you. I'm also happy to know that you're being true to yourself. You'll be much happier that way. You have the high heel gene and that's all there is to it. Accept it, be glad of it, and make the most of it by indulging yourself in what you enjoy. It doesn't hurt anyone else, and it helps the economy! LOL Looking forward to hooking up with you one of these days again. Steve

Thanks all, it feels good to be back. Heelster, I went over to Great Northern Mall, just west of the airport off I-480. I think that's actually in North Olmstead. There's Aldo, Macy's, Dillard's, Payless, Charlotte Russe, Shoe Dept., and there's a DSW next door. Since Sleekheels pointed out I didn't have a good shot of the suede pumps, here they are:

post-1101-0-45480000-1342928418_thumb.jp

Great to see you posting again radiodave. Sorry about locking your old thread. It is part of the preparation for opening up full history searches to members. If you wish I can unlock and merge the two threads.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Welcome back Dave. Some nice shoes there, I admire your choice (with the possible exception of the wedges).

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Welcome back! Glad to see you're back in action. And don't worry about wearing flats here, I've been wearing them myself of late, and the gang here haven't come after me with torches and pitchforks! :silly: By the by, those wedges look cool! Wear them well!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Thanks all, it feels good to be back. Heelster, I went over to Great Northern Mall, just west of the airport off I-480. I think that's actually in North Olmstead. There's Aldo, Macy's, Dillard's, Payless, Charlotte Russe, Shoe Dept., and there's a DSW next door.

Since Sleekheels pointed out I didn't have a good shot of the suede pumps, here they are:

Great. been awhile since I've been over there. I'll have to find a day when I can get out shopping - - - If they ever let me out of work anymore.

Nice heels and thanks for the extra photo. My blue pair is similar but with a platform and perhaps a slightly rounder toe, but the same awesome colour. post-12051-0-97429400-1343088446_thumb.p Both your pairs look like they have a pretty low-cut vamp (i.e. lots of toe cleavage) which is cool but not a look that works for me. Is that something you look for in a shoe? My favourite sole colour is definitely beige like both your pairs. I'm still a little hesitant about the round-shaped heel like on your black shoes, prefering the more classic flat-fronted heels like on your blue shoes, but hey it'd be pretty bland if everyone wore the same things and it's always exciting to see lots of different heels out and about. Enjoy yours!

If you like it, wear it.

• 2 weeks later...

In the thread "Heeling with Bluejay" I reported on my recent trip to the Buffalo area. On the way back from there my wife and I stopped briefly to have lunch with RadioDave, who lives in the Cleveland area. Dave and I have met on several occasions, but he'd never met my wife, so I introduced them and the three of us went off to lunch. I wore my black White Mountain "Witty" sandals that I got a few months ago from DSW (they came in a White Mountain box but the labels on the shoes say Naturalizer - go figure!). It's a platform sandal with a thick 4 inch high heel, looks great, and is very stable to walk or stand in. We went to Panera's and I don't think anyone noticed my shoes. Dave had some other projects going on, so shoe shopping wasn't in the cards for this visit, but maybe next time. Steve

Shoot, it's been two years since I've posted any outings? Apparently my old thread got locked because it was languishing. Took a hiatus from heeling for a while, having lost some interest in heeling, but it slowly came back. About a year ago I was really wondering if I was really a CD, but I realized that no, I'm not really a CD, just a guy who likes women's shoes much more than men's shoes. After the last girlfriend had a major malfunction over women's shoes, I really wondered "do I thin the dating pool considerably by doing something many women aren't that cool with, or do I better myself, and get over my foibles?". Unfortunately I almost convinced myself of that, and for a while it felt liberating to put them away. Over the last several months I've been going through a recovery program through my church, namely because I was still dealing with negative feelings from my divorce from 4 years ago. While it improved that aspect, there was still something lacking. Then I realized what it was. I wasn't being myself, I was fooling myself. I didn't even follow my own advice and I had thinned the shoe collection considerably. Then I realized what it was. I'm not at my best because I'm not being myself. Uy veh. Life is short, and even from my church I've learned you can't please everyone. So, I've started accumulating again, and I've decided life is too short to please everyone, so while many people might think you're the village weirdo for wearing women's shoes, or the ignorant masses might think you're gay, I realized that no, I'm not gay no matter how many stereotypes I might fit, and I have faith that when the right woman comes along, she will. I was married to one who accepted them, it could happen again.

That said, I had an outing today. I picked up a pair of flats from Payless last night, and like them a lot. I took the hair off my feet, trimmed my nails, and wore them out today for a little shopping. Wore my jeans, my pink polo shirt, and my flats. Went over to the mall on the west side of Cleveland, and wanted to go to Aldo, one of my favorite places. I had some trepidation, not having been out in them for a while, but soon it was like riding a bike again. Nobody seemed too interested in a guy wearing women's flats. One guy and a couple girls looked, but that's about it. I looked at a pair of black espadrille wedge pumps at Aldo, which they had in my size, but they were small even by Aldo standards. Nothing in a larger size. Rats. I wandered over to Dillard's and saw they had some black Steve Madden pumps in black suede. They had them in my size, and they fit perfectly. The guy assisting didn't seem at all flustered when I tried them on. Maybe that's why I like shoe shopping, the thrill of trying them on in the store. Score one pair.

Wandered back through Aldo, and saw a pair of blue suede pumps I liked. Lucked out, they were on clearance and I figured they were surely sold out, but they had my size and they fit perfectly. Wandered through the DSW next to the mall, but didn't see too much that caught my eye. Stopped by another mall along the way, one of the swankier places around. One guy took a long, hard look as I walked by, but it felt good to be wearing comfortable shoes that I happen to like, even if they may look a little strange. Saw an awesome pair of purple pumps at Aldo, and had to think really hard about those, but the price was a little too high.

Stopped by Famous Footwear and saw a pair of tan espadrille pumps that I liked, and the price was right. Very comfortable. The lady assisting asked if I'd like another pair for 1/2 off, so I took a quick look around, but didn't spot anything that called out. Seems that offer is still open though, she stapled a coupon so I can come back at some point and take advantage of the 1/2 off another day.

Good day overall. Spent almost the whole day in my flats. Yes, I realize this the High Heel Place, but I wasn't in a heeling mood today. Maybe some other day.

As Steven Tyler would say, I'm back in the saddle again :silly:

Thanks for that Dave. Good to hear from you. I've been kinda dealing with the same thoughts. Seem to be getting more negative thoughts from women than positive, although there are still enough positive to keep me going. Like you say, fact is I am what I am and to be completely happy within myself, I have found that the wardrobe has to be complete. I am NOT a cd, gay or whatever other labels there are for wearing heels. Simple fact is, I just like em! and they make me complete. :) Thanks John happy heeling bro...

real men wear heels

• 3 weeks later...

I went by DSW on the way home from work, and saw a pair of boots I really liked. They had block heels, and not too outlandish. I forgot I had a coupon, so I went on home, got my coupon, and changed into my thin trouser socks, and the Payless flats from above. Not a bad look, and the flats actually went well with the thin black socks. I went to another DSW after looking online to see if this other store had them in stock, and set forth. Sure enough, I found them, and tried them on next to the full length mirror. Not too shabby, I love them already and they are very comfortable. At the checkout the young lady commented they were really nice boots (Jessica Simpson "Torta"). I changed in the car, and thought I'd stop by the Starbucks for a coffee. The crowd of teenagers sitting out front barely noticed, even though it was hard to hide the noise. One guy in the store looked down and smiled, but that was it. I had to stop by the drugstore on the way home to pick up something. Must be getting braver, this is the one I go to frequently that's close to my house. Wasn't too concerned about running into my neighbors, and even though I clopped my way to the very back of the store, folks didn't seem to take notice that there's guy making that clopping noise. Got my things and went on home. Another small step the other day, I was wearing my Payless flats sans socks the other day, when my next door neighbor came knocking on my door. I'm sure he must have seen them, especially when my cat made a break for it and tried to slip outside. Not a thing was mentioned.

post-1101-0-25589000-1345509829_thumb.jp

post-1101-0-91582600-1345509918_thumb.jp

I noticed those theother day while surfing the DSW site. They only go to size 11, so I'm not quite sure if they would fit, as 11 is generally a bit snug. Can you tell me how the fit is for you in terms of your usual size - are they snug, roomy, or about normal?

Like the boots. Those would look great on any confident guy. I have found most people may hear the sound, but I honestly don't think most people put two and two together and realize they are not cowboy style boots. It's always easy to wear boots like yours with boot cut jeans.

• 2 weeks later...

Not much of an adventure today. I thought really hard about going to the dentist wearing heels this morning, but decided against it. This evening I had to go to the ATM, and I needed to pick up mouthwash at the drugstore. My hygienist recommended it since my gums aren't all that happy. I wore a yellow polo shirt, jeans, and my beige espadrille wedges. The elderly guy behind me at the checkout didn't seem too interested. As I got into my car, I noticed a teenage girl who had been at the cosmetics counter had followed me out and got into her friend's car, and they were both looking over my way with smiles on their faces. I just smiled back and thought they must have been something new for them.

post-1101-0-52071800-1347066281_thumb.jp

post-1101-0-86068200-1347066289_thumb.jp

I think you'll find teenagers have some of the most open minds around. They can give you a good ribbing about your heels, but I find many of them are really cool with it if it looks good.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

That's a great outfit for a lovely pair of wedges - they add a touch of sharpness to a casual look, and it's great the way heels can do that to an outfit. Also a perfect reaction to the teenage girls, smiles are a compliment and it feels great to return the smile. I tend to agree with Shafted. I think that back when I was a teenager there was a lot of peer pressure to conform (even rebellion was something we conformed to like a flock of sheep), but many teenagers these days have a much better grasp of diversity. I'm not saying there aren't idiots around too, but like all walks of life it's usually the narrow-minded minority who tend to be obnoxious and make a bad name for everyone else.

If you like it, wear it.

I wore a yellow polo shirt, jeans, and my beige espadrille wedges. The elderly guy behind me at the checkout didn't seem too interested. As I got into my car, I noticed a teenage girl who had been at the cosmetics counter had followed me out and got into her friend's car, and they were both looking over my way with smiles on their faces. I just smiled back and thought they must have been something new for them.

I must say that was a smartly casual outfit, one that could be worn pretty much anywhere, and those wedges were really cute. Bravo to you, my friend. As for that teenager you encountered, no doubt she had been curious about your shoes, but, in the end, she must have liked what she saw.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Nice to have you posting again radiodave, very nice to read about your outings. Wish I could type up the daily adventures as well as many of you do here. I just don't think I can make my adventures sound all that interesting :) haha I'll just continue to enjoy reading about yours and all the others adventures...

Not much of an adventure today. I thought really hard about going to the dentist wearing heels this morning, but decided against it. This evening I had to go to the ATM, and I needed to pick up mouthwash at the drugstore. My hygienist recommended it since my gums aren't all that happy.

I wore a yellow polo shirt, jeans, and my beige espadrille wedges. The elderly guy behind me at the checkout didn't seem too interested. As I got into my car, I noticed a teenage girl who had been at the cosmetics counter had followed me out and got into her friend's car, and they were both looking over my way with smiles on their faces. I just smiled back and thought they must have been something new for them.

Those wedges are fantastic!!

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

Today I went by Aldo to exchange a pair of pumps I bought last week. Silly me, they apparently got the hint that their sizes ran small, and the saleslady mentioned they changed their sizing. So of course I ended up with ones that were a size too big. I wore a yellow shirt, gray pants, and black flats with black tights. They didn't have the correct size, but they will ship them out. Went next door to Dillard's to have a look, and found a nice pair of Jessica Simpson pumps. Just a plain, black pump, but a nice heel on it. No qualms from the saleslady, but then I recognize her and figure she probably remembers me. Shoot, I LIKE these pumps and they fit well. So what am I going to do? Wear them after I've bought them, of course! Changed into them right there. Feeling a little nervous since I'm in the swanky mall with teenagers galore, but I got a smile from a couple coming up the escalator, and the guy passing out cologne samples handed me one like I was anybody else, telling me what it was called. Made my way across the parking lot, and yep, these are actually comfortable for walking. Went down the road to a different mall, feeling a little more at ease since I haven't worn stilettos in public much. Got a few looks, but that's all. Stopped in the Aldo there, and tried on a pair of wedges, but they were a little too high, even for me. I noticed that compared to experiences from a while back, I think the sales folk are really getting used to guys buying heels. It used to be that they'd be polite, but you could detect that "Am I really seeing this? Is this guy for real? OMG, I wish I had a camera!" from the smile. Now they just seem pretty used to it and it's just like I'm buying shoes for work. The Dillard's there was having a clearance sale, but I didn't spot much. I did get an approving nod from the sales guy working there though. I made my way over to DSW, and despite teenage girls shopping with their mothers, they didn't seem too interested. I found a nice pair of boots, and they fit well. Not real high heels, they might be middle of the road for street heeling.

post-1101-0-04465200-1347511133_thumb.jp

post-1101-0-37022800-1347511145_thumb.jp