Payless Experience

Artimas

I just got two new pairs of shoes today. Fairly fast shipping from Payless. I opted not to go for the free ship-to-store option, figured my time was worth more than the 20 minute round trip and the extra wait. The shoes are wonderful, both are true to size. I ordered the magenta Hilari as soon as I tried on the black pair. The Kaman pump is quite comfortable. I'd recommend the online store, great selection in 11 and 12 wides. Here are the urls for these three shoes: http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?catId=cat10378&subCatId=cat40050&skuId=096808120&productId=68663&lotId=096808&category=&catdisplayName=Sale http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?catId=cat10088&subCatId=cat10270&skuId=094017120&productId=70962&lotId=094017&category=&catdisplayName=Womens http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?catId=cat10088&subCatId=cat10270&skuId=084012120&productId=68663&lotId=084012&category=&catdisplayName=Womens The black Hilari and the Karman pumps were only $19.99 and the magenta Hilari is on sale for $15.00. Don't know the durability, but it's irrelevant.

I also have the Karman and i really like the fit. I would say that I buy nearly all my heels from payless online and in the store waiting for fall when they start to have more highheel boots. I think that now I own almost every pair of heels in size 13 that they have

Payless is a great place to shop for heels. The shoes are nice (for the price) and the staff is great. sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

• 3 weeks later...

I was at 2 different Payless stores this week. I was surprised to see a section of size 13 womens shoes. One of the SA's told me there's been a lot of men looking for larger sizes. I bought a pair of suede scrunch boots with a low heel.

I was at 2 different Payless stores this week. I was surprised to see a section of size 13 womens shoes. One of the SA's told me there's been a lot of men looking for larger sizes. I bought a pair of suede scrunch boots with a low heel.

Hmm..... heels going mainstream?

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I was in Payless tonight and tried on several pair of heels. There was a good selection of 11's, 12's and some 13's. I didn't buy but had fun trying on heels myself. The clerks were ok with it since I already was in heels when I came into the store. The clerks were very comfortable with me a man trying on heels in the store and walking all about in them! Happy Heeling, bluejay

They are very nice at Payless. I went to one store and asked about a black patent wedge I had seen on the internet . They looked around and didn't have my size, 11. She went to the computer and found it at another Payless not far away. She put a hold on it and gave me a coupon for $5 off, they were on clearance for $14.99, they dropped the price $5 because they were holding it for me. I went to the other store and bought them for $5 plus tax!! They lady at the other store said she wanted me to be her customer from now on. She told me they were having a sale on handbags and cosmetics and told me I ought to look around. I was only interested in heels. I left and she told me she hoped to see me soon. A great experience all around.

They're good people, but I haven't had much luck with quality shoes which properly fit my feet. Their Fioni line is the exception, and I have half a doze Fioni heels I've purchased from them over the last several years. All of them fit well.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

As a resident in the UK i can't speak for the experience of shopping in Payless stores. However as a purchaser of their shoes for a number of years (probably 40-50 pairs) through ebay and people in the US buying and shipping them on my behalf, I have generally been very pleased with all my purchases, none have fallen apart on me (however i dont wear my shoes outside). The reason i buy from them are the prices and the selection of contemporary styles in my size (12w or 13) which you cannot find in the UK. On the whole the selections in my size range are good if not overwhelming, there was only period at the beginning of the year where the there was little to inspire - a sign of the austerity times perhaps, but things have picked up now, looking forward to the boot styles for the fall. I just wish they would ship to the UK directly but i cant see that happening anytime soon. So yesbuying from Payless for me is a positive experience.

In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king!!!

just was checking the web site and they now have some shoes up to 13.5 size they only had 2 pair but that was 2 more than last year. I do check there stores ant the web site often I have never had a problem there

I went to Payless last night at the mall because they had pair of wedges that I was interested in and wanted to try on. As I was trying on the shoes, the sales lady comes over and offers her assistance. She was very cordial and even offered some selections as the shoes I was looking at were not quite the right fit. As she was leaving she even informed me that they had jewelery and perfunes on sale at the counter. -Nikki

Another wonderful Payless experience today. I went in to pick up a pair of ordered shoes (Women's Jean Pointed Toe Pump). As I was browsing the Women's size 11 section the associate brought me the ordered shoes, asked if they were for me and when I responded yes she asked if I wanted to try them on. I did, told her they fit and she complimented me on my selection. She then pointed out that there were several shoes on special and pointed to several styles in the wide width. I chose the Women's Kayla Knot Quarter Strap Sandal. The whole process was very positive and very non-judgemental about a male trying on and buying women's shoes. I'll definately go back.

Never been in a Payless. Purchased some of their shoes via Ebay, generally. But I keep reading how nice the employees treat men in the women's section. And not just here. I suspect not long after they started carrying size 12 and 13 on the floor they added a paragraph to their employee manual ... "What To Do When Men Buy Women's Shoes". I half kid. But only half.

Well At on of the payless stores that I visit the Sales assocate has tolt me that there are several men that stop in and buy shoes I only hope that I am there at the same time and we can meet

Artimas, I also have the Kayla sandal from Payless, love it. Very comfortable and it looks great!! Have you worn them outside yet? When I bought mine, the Payless staff was helpful, one gal even said that the sandals looked good on me. The heel is a bit higher and thinner than I generally wear, but for occasional use they will be fine. I wrote a review also, did you? sf

"Why should girls have all the fun!!"

SF: Just did write a review. I've worn them in the office several times, and for most of the day today. Very comfortable. When I wear hose my feet tend to slip a bit, so I'll stick with barefoot. I'm going to order a pair in silver.

• 1 month later...

I just bought these two pairs on line and had them shiped to a local payless store. One of the best deals is that the brash heels were reduced from $26 to $12 and with the bogo the price was then $6.00 and then there was a online 20% off so they were FREE dont know where i will wear them but free is good. Well I got the call that my shoes were in so when I went to pick them up the two sales girls wanted to check it out what I bought. I tried on the oxfords and thought that I would try on the 5 1/2 heels later. As I was getting ready to leave they came over and asked if I tried on the brash heels I said no. Well we want you to so that we can see how good they look. So I did and than they asked where will i wear them. I said I just might wear them next time shoe shopping.

post-16522-0-18439800-1348148317_thumb.j

post-16522-0-54265900-1348148427_thumb.j

Guest IronCross

I really wish my local Payless was a welcoming as some of the encounters posted here. There was a large store at the local massive mall that was very accommodating but it went out of business after the new year. The closest alternative store is always an interesting experience. Really the problem comes down to a single associate whom I believe is the store manager. Whenever I'm in there looking for heels for myself (size 13) or my girlfriend (size 10) things begin fine as she greets me and asks if she could help me. We exchange the usual conversation once I enter the women's aisles, "Hi, can I help you?" "Browsing for some shoes today." "What size?" "Ten and thirteen." Then she always chuckles a bit, which is fine, and always makes a comment how they don't have very many "large sizes" with a heavy emphasis on that being a negative thing, making it sound like she really means "heels for men, so leave." At first I thought it was just me misreading the situation but no, it's the same every time and every time I'm there she seems to be the only person working. I've called on the phone to check if something is in stock, told by her they don't have it, then go in twenty minutes later to find it was there all along. I really don't get what her problem is. When I'm in there I don't make a spectacle, look like your average 30 year old clean cut guy, spend lots of money but she seems to hate me being there. It's a shame since I would probably visit a lot more often if they were more welcoming. Even ship to store orders aren't enjoyable as when I go to pick them up she tries to get me out of there as quickly and rudely as possible. I really miss the old store.

Guest IronCross

We should not blame the store, there are bad employees in every business and you just happened to meet one of them. She won't probably go too far in this career, don't worry...

Oh I understand that. Problem is that it's a tiny store in a tiny mall and I think there are only three employees on the entire staff. I've had much better experiences at other locations and would like to figure out when someone else would be working at the closer location without lowering myself to say something like, "when do you have a day off so I can come back?"

I'd consider contacting their customer services to say that as a male customer buying heels you've experienced gender discrimination from some of the staff at that branch, causing you and your girlfriend to take your custom elsewhere, so perhaps the staff could receive some training in this area. Also that the staff at the recently closed branch were excellent over the years you have been customers. If their attitude didin't improve after that then I'd take my custom elsewhere. I appreciate your dilemma though, because in a way they've "won" if their prejudice pushes you away but they've also "won" if you go ahead and buy the shoes anyway, so I totally get your sentiment behind "when do you have a day off so I can come back?".

If you like it, wear it.

Guest IronCross

What's interesting is the city I live in has a specific policy that protects the rights of expression in a public workplace. This is the reason at a previous job I got up the courage to ask if I could heel at work, of which there was no problem. It makes it twice as irritating but I won't let the lack of professionalism in others cause me to be unprofessional in return. I plan on calling the store and next time someone other than that specific associate answers, heading down to shop and see how things go with the other staff. Mention the issues I've had and see if it can all be wrapped up locally or at least have an alternate and you know, good, sales consultant at that location. Still can't believe the larger location closed down but we did scoop up some excellent deals during their last days. Sadly nothing in my size though.

I just got some new shoes from Payless on thursday. I have to say the more I go to my closest store, the more I enjoy it. I had to return 2 pairs due to size issues and the girl that helped me was very pleasent and helpful. I decided to ask about her about other guys who buy womens shoes. She said that there were alot of guys that come in to buy womens shoes and that most of them are not very talkative. She told me that she loved to talk shoes and clothes and it didn't matter the gender of the person. So, for you guys that visit your local Payless and are shy about it, talk to the sales people. The ones I talk to seem to genuinely enjoy the conversation. -Nikki

Nikki, I have also found the same thing at one of the payless stores that I visit. the sales staff want to know what I like in heels and what pairs that I have. They are all very helpfull but there job is to sell shoes so why wouldn't they. But in turn I will go back and look at and buy more shoes. They also have said the same thing that you said that there are several guys that buy heels but they are in and out in a hurry.

Picked up a pair of Brash Kosmic platform pumps yesterday and the clerk was most helpful. We talked a bit while she looked on her computer to see if there were any red ones available in my size (unfortunately not) and it was just a pleasant shopping experience. Have to say that Shoe Carnival has also been pretty good, but their selection of 13's is really limited. It like Jerbare says, folks in shoe stores are there to sell shoes, and you don't sell shoes by being rude to your customers.

One time my wife and I went into a Payless a fee years ago. There was another guy browsing the size 12 rack. He was pretty quiet. The selection was very poor and their web site was just becoming decent. I told the guy that the slection online was superior. He kind of looked at me dumbfoundedly, turned and walked out of the store. I wished that I had cards with this web site on it to just hand out on occasions like that. I think therr are a lot of guys who could be happier in there heels if they were part of this community.

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped into a Payless in another city after finding one that had 12, 12w, 13, and 13w of the Kosmic pump. I had never tried on a pair in a store before over the last 42 years. But I did it. As I was browsing the sales associate approach and asked if I needed help. For the first time, I replied, "Yes. I am looking for a pair of shoes for my Halloween costume. I am going as a lady." She politely asked if I was looking for boots, flatts, or heels and I replied heels. I asked if she had any suggestions. She asked for color I was interested which was black. This store was well stocked with a variety of colors. She then started showing a few different pairs in the 13's where I was looking. She showed the Karmen pump first and explaind how the foot bed had padding for extra comfort. Then she brought down a pair of black Fiona open toe pumps followed by the Kosmic platform. I looked them over and then asked the BIG question, "Can I try them on?" She said, "Absolutely." I tried the Karmen and stood up in front of her. She asked how they felt and I replied, "How are they supposed to feel," as I took a halting step forward. I don't remember her reply as I was enjoying the moment. I didmake the "standard" comment of, "How do you women walk in these?" to which she repled, "I can't." Too bad for her. I sat back down and she handed me the Fiona open toe and said, "These are on sale today for $24.99" as I placed them on my feet and stood. They were also comfortable as were the Karmen pumps. Then she asked if I thought I could handle the heigth of the Kosmic pump - what I had actually gone there to try. She explaind the platform would make a difference in how they would feel; "The platform will give you more stability." I had never heard that before then. I stood and took a few steps in the 13 W and I commented that my foot seemed lose in them and she suggested the 13 which I tried. It too was too loose and she suggested trying the size 12. It was tighter and placed pressure on the toes so it was onto the 12W which seemed better, At that time she found a pair of Brash Lunar wedges and suggested I try them also. I tried but did not like the way they looked and went back to the Kosmic as she had another customer come in and needed to check on them. While she was gone I tried some other but finally settled on the size 13 Kosmic pumps. They were on sale for $29.99 and there was a coupon in the morning e-mail for 30% off. It was a fun encounter as many have stated and I took them up to her at the registar and thanked her for her help and suggestions. She wished me "Good luck with those." It was an experience I never dreamed I would have the nerve to do and am glad I did it. So it was higher than a "jetheel" but it was just "kosmic."

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Thanks for sharing your "kosmic" experience jetheelsfan. The sales assistant sounds very professional. Do you think you'll feel comfortable enough to shop for heels again without the halloween excuse? Also how come you went for the size 13 rather than the 12W? With shoes I've bought in the past it sometimes seems like the tighter shoes get tighter while the looser shoes gets looser over time. It's great that they have the W option, for me that would solve a lot of fit issues that stop me buying styles I like.

If you like it, wear it.