Hose With Your Heels

Artimas

I'd suggest thigh highs rather than knee highs (altho they're cheap) over pantyhose for wearing with your heels. Easier to get in and out of and usually inexpensive at Walgree's or Target. Never had an eyebrow raised at me when purchasing, and the sizing is easy to figure out.

Artimas, I see you're new to our forum so welcome aboard the "heel train". I think you are saying that you recommend knee-highs over thigh highs as they are easier to put on/take off and I'd agree. I wear knee-highs most days but thigh-highs are better if you are attending some event wearing a skirt or dress with your heels. My legs are getting fairly tanned now but I don't think they're nice enough to go bare-legged. Walgreens and Target are good places to buy hose as is Burlington Coat Factory and Sears. Again welcome to the forum. HappyinHeels

I think knee highs are particularly unattractive. Since plus size garter belts are hard to find and expensive when they're available, thigh highs, stayups as the Brits call them, are more attractive and usually quite comfortable especially the lace top style.

I for one love a good pair of thigh highs. However, unless you have an already slim body, don't count out the slimming properties of a good pair of pantyhose. I feel very confident when I wear a pair of skinny jeans while I'm wearing pantyhose. But that's just me. With that being said, I still consider thigh highs a lot cuter than pantyhose anyways.

One of my goals in life is to have enough disposable income to purchase a pair of Christian Louboutin's.

I must be confused about the notion of wearing thigh-hi's or knee-hi's over pantyhose when wearing heels. Is it to spare the pantyhose from snags and possible runs? I mean if you heels are putting runs in your hose you need new heels. I haven't had a problem with any of my shoes putting a run in my nylons. -Nikki

My original statement must have confused some. I prefer thigh highs to either knee highs OR pantyhose. I didn't advocate a double layer of hoisery, it would be too hot and too thick. Hosiery of some sort just improves the high heel experience, IMO.

I'm a skirt guy. I always wear hose because they cover the slight imperfections in my legs from a life time being kicked, slide tackling, etc. while playing soccer. Hose also allow me to do things color or texture wise - like shimmering hose, that I find more interesting than the bare legged look. I wear them with pumps, sandals or open toed shoes.

I wear knee highs both when wearing heels as well as my make shoes (But only when I'm wearing long trousers. You never know when you are going to see a oair of heels you like and might want to try on! I find that whilst I like the feel on thigh high or even full on tights, they can be a bit impracticle by the end of the day.

Most of the time when I wear pumps it's usually with slacks so knee-high nylons are my hosiery workhorse. I'll wear other types of hosiery for patterns and colors I can't get with knee highs.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

For those who might be interested and aren't aware of it, there is a forum similar to this one for guys who want to wear tights, pantyhose and stockings (as guys). It's on Delphi Forums and it's called Legwear as Unisex Fashion. Interested women are welcome, too. http://forums.delphiforums.com/legwearuf The parallels between that forum and HHPlace are striking. Same issues, different garment! I hope this information is useful to some of you. Steve

• 1 month later...

I prefer pantyhose all the way... I recently bought a classic pair in black, denier 20 which says in the package "energetic and shape your legs" They are indeed very tight and the way they feel is awesome. Very high quality. The brand is Dantelle from Demillus from Brazil. Any Brazilians in this forum, I strongly advise to purchase one pair!

Artimas, I understand your point. I prefer knee-highs on a daily basis when wearing jeans and slacks but would wear only thigh-highs or control-top hose if wearing things other than pants. Knee-highs are great to wear when you're shoe shopping! HappyinHeels

I do wear sheer elegance panty hose at times, and I find especially when i buy a pair of high heels that are a bit tight. That it is just plain easier on my feet to wear panty hose so the feet just easily slide in and help break in my new heels. Just like the way the hose help slim my legs and make them look sexy so to speak. But today I was wearing hose with an old pair of Bakers peep toe 4 inch pumps and my wife was at the couch she said that was a nice combination but that my hairy legs thru the panty hose made it look like i had really bad vericose veins all over my legs! So needless to say Trip to the bathroom out came the electric razor and i shaved my legs! so a good rule especially for me is no hair on the legs when i am wearing pantyhose now I am starting to keep my legs shaved when wearing high heels from now on. Jennifer my wife says it looks better This from a lady who a few years ago when i first wore high heels was very shocked needless to say> BUt she and i love each other so she has gotten use to the idea one heel at a time .

Do most of you wear hoisery with pumps? Sandals? Peep toes? Or do you just wear them seasonally?

I haven't worn hosiery much lately this year, but I prefer sheer pantyhose usually; opaque tights for the colder seasons; and I'll throw in some suspender-style pantyhose (which I'll wear panties with, otherwise I'll go commando under hosiery).

As far as with heels - pumps & peep toes is always with some form of hosiery. With sandals, it depends on the style.

It's been too sticky and steamy in my neck of the woods to even think about wearing hosiery, but as we progress into fall and the weather starts turning cooler, most definitely will I break out my pantyhose and tights for autumnal wear with my skirts. At the risk of sounding egotistical, as good as my legs look bare, they're sensational when I've got hosiery on!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I think knee highs are particularly unattractive.

Knee High stockings may be "unattractive" if the tops are exposed. If long pants are worn with heels the appearance is the same as if longer stockings or pantyhose is worn. Also, the thickness (denier and gauge) of the hose affects how heels or pumps fit, not the length or style of the hose.

Since plus size garter belts are hard to find and expensive when they're available, thigh highs, stayups as the Brits call them, are more attractive and usually quite comfortable especially the lace top style.

(Garterless) Thigh Highs never stay up on my legs, and there's little point to wearing them if they keep rolling down (then falling below the knee). Gartered stockings look and feel better and I've purchased affordable, quality plus size garter belts.

When wearing long pants, knee high nylons are just fine, as far as wearing heels are concerned.

I always prefer to wear hose. I don't like wearing shoes barefoot. They get hot, sweaty, smelly, and very uncomfortable. I hate that and it's not good hygiene. Sheer or opaque hose lets my feet breathe and the perspiration doesn't accumulate. There is little odor, and it's a lot healthier. The exception is with sandals. Some of them (like my Naturalizer Daquiri and Aerosoles Kayak, for example) I'm quite happy wearing without hose. Others are better with hose. Some, like thong sandals, simply can't be worn with ordinary hose. Steve