Heels And Flying

pattianne71

Jimnj3, So look at you all dressed up in red pumps and flying along the East Coast! Nice trip and story. You'll be pleased to know that I saw your review of these same shoes on the Payless site and actually bought them (black) today after work today as you raved about their fit. I have a number of pumps but they are all noticeably higher and "wilder". Like others said if you managed a trip in red pumps through airports, TSA, and all those eyes upon you with no illeffects this should be an object lesson for all those out there that wondered if guys can wear heels in any venue. What strkes me about your trip is that you not only survived but THRIVED!! I'm sure all the positive comments from the women along the way was what you'll most remember from this trip for many years to come. Well done and thanks so much for sharing it with us. HappyinHeels

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much HappyinHeels, You are right, not only survived but thrived!! This was my first major trip in any heeled shoe. Before this I was only doing it local and now it's so much easier. I have to try and keep it going by wearing them more often. I just love the red pumps. I just couldn't believe the great comments along the way especially from the first girl I met in them in the hotel. She gushed all over them and set my confidence level for the rest of the trip. Let me know what you think of the pair you got yourself. How they feel/fit on you. I want another pair in black but so far none of the stores near me have them in stock. :( The girls at the Payless here love helping me pick out something to wear and are full of suggestions. All guys take note, it's fun to shop in person!! Jim

Nice job Jimnj3, that is an awesome trip for you. I have worn a pair of Dr Marten 3"+ wedge boots on a flight to Iceland last year. Had a nice comment from one of the sercurity ladies "saying those are nice travel boots" to which my girlfriend said "yes he really likes his boots and they are very comfy" with that she smiled. The flight went really good too. I am doing that again this year. Mtnsofheels

I have flown in heels two times, both in 4" narrow-heel boots. And both times I was drawn aside for an extended 'pat down'. This has never happened at any other time. I like to think that it was just coincidence, and that it was my very long hair and earrings that brought me attention, not the boots!

I would be surprised if it were because of the boots. I imagine you had to put them in a bin for screening. Once in the bin the screener doesn't really know whose they are if the airport was as busy as Atlanta was. Other than the beige/tan trouser socks I didn't look any different than anybody else going through the scanner. I did have to try the scanner twice for some reason but still was no concern. I will definitely do this again and hopefully in the near future. Was a real blast!!! Jim

Aglo, Ah yes, the old TSA (Thousands Standing Around) and the extended pat-down. As an LEO with the Border Patrol, INS, CBP, and ICE I know exactly their authority and the scope of what they are looking for....if only they'd actually find it which is exactly the problem. Ten years after their formation the TSA has yet to intercept a single terrorist but they have filled several Olympic-size swimming pools of liquids, creams, soaps, and other nonsense. It may have been the long hair or just coincidence. I'm letting my hair grow out a bit but then I'm part Iroquois so I'm covered...maybe they'll pat me down? ALways remember this though, no matter what their authority they owe you PROFESSIONAL treatment, nothing less. HappyinHeels

What a great looking boot for out it public. I flew last month. Had to be conservative and wear my 3 1/2in boots. I try not to fly. Don't ask why.

My pat-downs were during departure from London Heathrow. It was a few years ago (but this century!) and I had to take off the shoes and deposit them in a tray after been called aside. Either it's my thick skin, or tendency to look on the humorous side, but I walked away smirking rather than fuming. Thinking back to the event, what I remember much more than the pat-down is a girl in the departure lounge sniggering to her boyfriend about my boots. The only time I've had this experience (or the only time I've noticed it, anyway). HappyinHeels, I came through Heathrow last January and was again singled out for a close-touch experience. Can't have been the Asics trainers (Asics - I'm a runner!) so I have got to presume it was the long hair/earings combo, or else purely random selection, which you can't rule out. Again, it didn't give me grief; I reflected on what a boring, unsatisfying existence these security people have to suffer. To have to do a job like that to earn your money is demeaning.

Ah yes, Heathrow. It's not the USA so it's not TSA per se but the UK has its own process. I was there in early December and saw their dragnet upon departure back to the USA. It seems like those last 10 meters are the longest with different people checking your ticket and the battery of questions. When he asked why I came to the UK I showed him my official passport which promptly ended the questions. Whether it's in the US or the UK or wherever they owe you their professional best. HappyinHeels

I've worn heels on connecting flights, but never originating from home or my destination. I kept running into to many people I knew who, had they seen me in heels, it would have ended my career.

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

I've worn heels on connecting flights, but never originating from home or my destination. I kept running into to many people I knew who, had they seen me in heels, it would have ended my career.

Are you sure that it would end your career? You are not doing anything illegal. It is not like you are smuggling drugs! Many times we blow these possible consequences way our of proporation in our own minds and they have no bearing on reality. Years ago when I first started wearing women's shoes I had the same thoughts that you have. I later learned that they were unfounded.

Jamie :)

Fashion Freedom for Men!!

Are you sure that it would end your career? You are not doing anything illegal. It is not like you are smuggling drugs! Many times we blow these possible consequences way our of proporation in our own minds and they have no bearing on reality. Years ago when I first started wearing women's shoes I had the same thoughts that you have. I later learned that they were unfounded.

I agree with Jamie - when I was working part of my job was to conduct training classes on some software packages we used. The classes were typically 12 students with myself and a co-instructor. In the wintertime I'd be standing in front of the class wearing either block heeled boots with a 2 or 3" heel, or occasionally my stiletto-heeled boots. In the summertime it was almost always low wedge heeled sandals with my red toenails out there for all to see.

And before anyone says something about academia being more liberal - I was working for a major semiconductor manufacturer in Slilcon Valley; hardly academia!

Wealth is not measured by how much you have, but rather how little you need.

I agree with Jamie - when I was working part of my job was to conduct training classes on some software packages we used. The classes were typically 12 students with myself and a co-instructor. In the wintertime I'd be standing in front of the class wearing either block heeled boots with a 2 or 3" heel, or occasionally my stiletto-heeled boots. In the summertime it was almost always low wedge heeled sandals with my red toenails out there for all to see.

And before anyone says something about academia being more liberal - I was working for a major semiconductor manufacturer in Slilcon Valley; hardly academia!

Aly,

Whenever I'm not at work I wear women's sandals (all heel heights) and professionally pedicures fire engine red toenails. In your reply you stated that you were wearing wedge sandals and red toenails to work and that you worked for a major semiconductor manufacturer. When wearing your sandals to work and when you were teaching classes, did you ever have any issues with management regarding your footwear/red toenails? Did coworkers or students ask you questions about your footwear/red toenails? What answer did you give them? Wearing feminine sandals and red toenails to work is my next step and I'm wondering what to expect.

Jamie :)

Fashion Freedom for Men!!

Aly,

Whenever I'm not at work I wear women's sandals (all heel heights) and professionally pedicures fire engine red toenails. In your reply you stated that you were wearing wedge sandals and red toenails to work and that you worked for a major semiconductor manufacturer. When wearing your sandals to work and when you were teaching classes, did you ever have any issues with management regarding your footwear/red toenails? Did coworkers or students ask you questions about your footwear/red toenails? What answer did you give them? Wearing feminine sandals and red toenails to work is my next step and I'm wondering what to expect.

Never had anybody mention anything to me. Except when I first started wearing sandals, shortly after I got my first pedicure. I was heading to a meeting and met a couple of ladies who were also heading to the meeting so we walked together. We were exchanging pleasantries when all of a sudden one of the ladies looked down and stopped walking - "Oh my god - you've got polish on your toenails! That is so cool!" was her comment. I looked down and remarked "Oh my god! How did that happen?" and we both had a good laugh. I then told her I didn't think it was fair that the ladies got to have all the fun and I really like how my toes look. She agreed, and then said she wished her husband was man enough to do that!

All the sandals I wore at work were fairly androgynous, 2" wedges or 3" wedges with a 1" platform - nothing real strappy but if anyone were to really take a look they would have noticed them. I worked in the same group for over 5 years and never had a problem. Now I'm retired and get to wear anything I want - my wife is very supportive!

Wealth is not measured by how much you have, but rather how little you need.

Such inspiring stories, thanks for the encouragement! I wore my 4" boots in Seattle, walked several miles around the city, it felt great...

Yes and nothing bad happened did it? Keep it up and youl will find it's just great fun and enjoyment.

Jim

Aly and Jamie, I often wear sandals to the office, even in winter when it isn't too cold or snowy. Or sometimes I'll wear boots to the office and change into sandals there. I really like wearing sandals. I usually wear tights or sheer hosiery with them, but in hot weather I might be barefoot. And yes I have a pedicure, too. And the boss is ok with it (it helps that I'm the boss! lol). But I see we've hijacked this thread so maybe we better fly back to get on topic. Steve

• 3 weeks later...

I always figured flying in heels would almost Always be a trip and experience to remember. Sadly I've yet to experience the "thrill" of flying, let alone in high heels!

Formally "HHDude"

• 3 months later...

On my way home from a wedding in Chicago. Spent most of my time in wedge sneakers, with one unexpected long walk to dinner in my 4" wedges. I did switch from wedge sneakers to my Ash pumps for my flight after separating from a friend not into heels at the gate. Not sure if I will wear them after the flight as two large bags might be tough with them.

(formerly known as "JimC")

I can understand the position - I would never go near work in high heels. I might not loose my job, but I would never be taken seriously again. Even the three women we have at work (offices) wouldn't wear high heels around the neanderthals I work with. Imagine 100 guys who never made it past high school - - if they actually made it that far. There are no women on the shop floor (they won't hire them - - ) and at 5'-10" 185 lbs, I'm kinda small.

• 1 month later...

I’ve just done the flying in heels thing for the first time. My wife knows some of my doings, but doesn’t want to see it at home, so I changed at the small regional airport. I parked in the long-term lot, threw my guy-sneakers on the car floor where they stayed for the duration. The plan was heels under ordinary guy jeans, tee shirt. I pulled on the knee highs and my J-Renee pumps with a very slender 4.5" stiletto.

post-16273-0-37089100-1379293678_thumb.j JRenee

I had foolishly worn these for a Walk-a-Mile-in-her-Shoes event and killed the original heel tips. I replaced them with the smallest metal tips I could find but they’re still a bit big. So I’m out of my car with my bags, and realize that the shuttle bus had slipped up to the nearby stop unheard. Now I’m comfortable walking in heels and can get along quite well, but it had been a few weeks and I felt out of practice. I had to hurry the hundred feet or so while the bus waited, and stepped aboard nervous, puffing and maybe shaking slightly from adrenaline. I took a seat, the one other passenger didn’t appear to notice anything, but as we pulled out the middle aged female driver called over her shoulder “I like your shoes” “Thanks” At security the heels went in the tub right on top of everything else, and although I had to interact with two different agents to pull out my liquids and run the bags through again, there was no reaction to the shoes. Guys must fly in stilettos every day. No noticeable reactions waiting at the gate or on the plane. The first leg of the flight was uneventful, although it took a while to get over the jitters, which was unusual, since I’ve been out lots of places this way and really don’t care what anyone thinks. Actually these days I’m a lot less concerned with trying to see if anyone notices. I had a good book in the Kindle and kept my nose in that most of the time. Between people not seeing, people not caring, and me not bothering to spy, I noticed amazingly few reactions. The transfer at Chicago O’Hare was a chore. I had 75 minutes and spent 3/4 of it walking between the gates that seemed to be a half mile apart. Had to be careful, the metal tips can be slippery on tile floors. As I was walking on a moving walkway, enjoying the nice loud metal to metal clicking, a woman walking beside me on the none-moving floor noticed and commented on my shoes, although I couldn’t understand what she said because of the noisy concourse and this incessant clicking. I said something about enjoying the challenge. She stayed beside me a while and quite obviously stared. 20/20 hindsight, I wish I had hiked up my pant leg to show them off. At the end of the walkway, I carefully slowed down to step off and she zoomed away. The rest of the trip was uneventful. The destination was a motel across from Mall of America in Minneapolis, MN. I had a 3 day conference with professional associates so I ditched the stilettoes and wore my Easy Spirit wedges

post-16273-0-84323000-1379293774_thumb.j

or Lane Bryant booties while there.

post-16273-0-91356200-1379293833_thumb.j

The Mall is an amazing place with numerous stores with a fair selection of size 12 and 13 women’s shoes, a worthy destination. I bought a pair of AirWalk wedge sneakers in size 13 from Payless, which hopefully will replace my size 12 Brash wedge sneakers that are just a bit too snug.

post-16273-0-82251300-1379293819_thumb.j The conference ended at 5 pm and my flight wasn’t until noon the next day. Since many of the attendees drove, flew later that night or early, I decided to wear the stilettoes right from the hotel. Coming around the corner to the hotel front desk, I spotted one of the presenters, someone I definitely didn’t want to come out to. I made a quick U-turn and changed behind the elevators. He wasn’t on my shuttle to the airport, so I changed back into heels again as soon as I could. The flights home were mostly uneventful. I had a good amount of interaction with TSA, with a stewardess changing seats so a man and wife could sit together, waiting for my bag on the Jetway, etc, with no mention or unusual reactions. I did get a heel caught in a door track on the airplane’s bathroom door. I just calmly stepped out of the shoe, bent down and picked it out. All in all, it was a great experience, but I would recommend shoes that are quite comfortable for an extended walk, and perhaps heels with a width dimensions on the order of 1/2 inch (12mm), rather than less than 1/4 inch (6mm) When I have the opportunity, I will probably do it again.  

Thanks for your post heels59. I enjoyed reading about flying and airport traveling in heels.

About three weeks ago I flew to Houston through. Midway in Chicago. I was watching  for men wearing heels, but didn't see any.

Incidentally I was wearing a pair of khaki capris and "Born" clogs with a 2-1/2" big block heel. At the security check-in, I put on a pair of sheer black trouser socks, as I didn't want to walk, barefoot through security. No one seemed to notice and after I went through the machine, I took off my trouser socks slowly, so my red pedi was showing, momentarily and put my clogs back on. The trip went un-eventful.

I did take a pair of black patent pumps with me and walked the streets of Downtown, Houston, one night, just to say that I walked in heels, in Houston, Texas!

Happy Heeling,

bluejay