Heels Mainstream For Men

Curt

Do you think heels will ever go mainstream for guys? Maybe not 5 inch stelleto's, but at least chunky heels, and wedge zip up boots. There is a store called fluevog. They sell guys heels. They said they will bringing out some nice ones after the summer. Better save some cash. They are very pricey. Love heels. I wear them out everyday.

Maybe, but there are some factors to consider. When the men in entertainment and possibly some sports personalities start showing up in some serious heels, then there will be a better chance. Just because some guys like Prince, Lenny Kravits, and some old school hair metal bands wear them won't be enough. Location will also be a factor in some cases. More metropolitan areas may see an uptick, but from what I'm seeing in the rural outskirts, not a chance. The Neanderthal mentality is just too big along with the far right wing thinkers (or lack thereof). I don't see many women in heels, so a guy in heels is like double jeopardy. Retail will have to step up and push the limit too. Unfortunately, the nearest popular large retail establishments in my case are Walmart and Kmart. Just because their websites show some heels doesn't mean there are any at the actual store. I was in the local Walmart the other day and the whole shoe department was primarily work boots, flip-flops, and sneakers. That's like taking a standard size Payless store and replacing their entire stock to nothing but those three options - - - yuck!!! The old axiom about "you can judge a person by what they have on their feet" may need to be upgraded to "you can tell where a person lives, and the economy of that area by what they wear".

Edited by Heelster

bootcat, I think the point about more prominent people wearing heels will do a lot to make them mainstream. But the lion's share of male heel consumers are people just like hhplace forumers. The problem is that of every 100 male heelers, 95 of them wear only in the closet or out of public view leaving only five or so that actually wear outside anywhere. Too much talking and not enough doing. I know there will justifications for family, friends, etc. but then why buy something you can't fully enjoy? The more of that 100 gets out there and buys in-person instead of online, wear their heels while shopping instead of in the closet, and the more of those 100 talk about their choices then the more likely wearing of heels by men will become mainstream. Otherwise you're just lighting a candle and wishing upon a star. Be the change you most want to see! happyinHeels

It will go mainstream when all of the guys here and more go out and wear their heels in public. The fashion industry can push for it as much they want, but it will not happen till then. WE have the power to make it happen, but it won't happen till all of us are out of the closet. There is strength in numbers. It's as simple as that.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Amen, Shafted. I agree with you completely (as usual). That's how guys got to wear earrings. They just went out and did it. There aren't any practical benefits to wearing earrings. It was just fashion. The first few times you saw a guy in earrings (or just one earring) you might have stared and even laughed, but after a couple of sightings it was no big deal any more. Same with heels. If we get enough exposure, people will stop laughing and the news helicopters will stop hovering overhead. It will be "fashion as usual," and heel meets will no longer be a big deal. And this forum will disappear, too, as it won't be needed. Steve

In my opinion: No, heels for men will never go mainstream. While more men may wear heels than the world is aware of, I don't feel there is this untapped mass who could drive consensus if they were to just go public. As much as I may enjoy them, heels are impractical, limiting, often uncomfortable and take work to learn to navigate in correctly. Most men have no desire for that process, not to mention simply not fancying the shoe. Most men, broadly speaking, like to keep it comfortable and simple. And of the men who wear heels in private situations only, I don't know that the motivation extends to enlightening the world at large. This is a fashion site. It is driven by fashion thinkers and those who want to drive heels into the public arena. But how representative it is of the male heel wearers at large is unknown. The more sordid aspects of the "hobby" are (thankfully) filtered out, as are the ones irrelevant to fashion. But I wouldn't bet against those types of non fashion motivations, in which the wearer could care less about public heel wear, to be the majority. Would almost bet on it.

I for one enjoy having a unique sense of style for a guy.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Will well-heeled fashion for men go mainstream? I couldnt honestly answer that question nor would I make an assumption. Like Shafted, I somewhat enjoy being a bit ' unique '. Its not a thrill, but an ' identifier ' that people will know me as. Morseo, they visually see the heels, but distinctly remember the person/personality wearing them. *if* men in heels went mainstream, such would be warm welcomed from my perspective. Wear what you want! If it stays off the radar, I still have no worries. HappyInHeels said : "The problem is that of every 100 male heelers, 95 of them wear only in the closet or out of public view leaving only five or so that actually wear outside anywhere. " Im just going to use his numbers for this idea/fictitious thought Im having.. Its not a number based in proven fact, but just as a ' number ' and nothing else.. Im going to make a very poor guess, thats not ' well informed ' and say theres probably a 5% chance ( 1 in 20 people, same as 5 in 100 ) whom would even *consider* going out in a pair of heels. As a joke/bet, a ' one time thing ' out of curiosity or on a serious note doesnt really matter. Its still like a 1 in 20. Of those 1 in 20, how many would consider keeping a pair in their regular wardrobe and maybe wear a pair to the office? Theres a couple people here whom have done such and on a regular basis. The percentages of those on this site whom go out regularly is actually starting to grow, but not by leaps and bounds. Theres nothing right or wrong about it, just ' how it is '. Odds would be against Men in Heels being a mainstream thing, but things can change, often quickly.

Edited by ilikekicks

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Even women in heels get some disapproving looks, so what exactly is this total acceptance we're looking for? I could get verbal abuse or worse for wearing the wrong football shirt in the wrong town - how is wearing heels any different from that?

If you like it, wear it.

You would never get total acceptance but it would be nice if it was accepted by the majority as a fashion alternative for men. Personally I think most people are more accepting nowadays and may stare and consider it quirky but then get on with their business As usual. Most people seem to have the 'as long as it does no harm its up to them' attitude nowadays. We just need more people To be brave and make it more common place and it will get even better.

Edited by Foxyheels

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

Not all women like to wear heels so why can it not be the same for men? The fact that it isn't "socially acceptable" is actually an irellevance. Even though it might be the social acceptability that prevents men from wearing them this will still mean that they'd be uneasy about wearing them and so therefore wouldn't like to wear them.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Even women in heels get some disapproving looks, so what exactly is this total acceptance we're looking for? I could get verbal abuse or worse for wearing the wrong football shirt in the wrong town - how is wearing heels any different from that?

I couldn't agree more. Social acceptance of men in heels is a myth and a fantasy, not at all worth contemplating or worrying about.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I couldn't agree more. Social acceptance of men in heels is a myth and a fantasy, not at all worth contemplating or worrying about.

Pretty much this. Take it from a bit of a Bhuddist perspective, by even framing the situation as "I can't feel good about wearing heels as a man until its socially mainstream to do so", you are limiting your view of reality. Much like the spoon bending quote from the Matrix (hey its a good analogy for this don't laugh), you can't bend the spoon, just bend your perception of reality. Which in this case is that who cares what is mainstream or not, wear what you want not what others expect.

Of course I could draw this further into desire and how even the desire to wear heels is an unnecessary burden, but I won't, its time to go for a walk. In short, who cares if they go mainstream even for chunky heels or not. In the end it changes nothing except others perceptions. In the case of other peoples perceptions changing, its somewhat of a chicken and egg scenario. Their perceptions won't change until they are challenged to change. Basically until more guys do it, it won't get accepted. But that doesn't stop you from being the one to challenge their perception in the meantime.

Anyway, I'm off to the sports bar to have a few pints and watch some sports. Hopefully I explained this well enough, because after I come back I'll be useless explaining anything philisophical or rational/logical. >.<

Dont's wanna worry or contemplate but ye never know what the future brings .. look at man with earrings, woman with tattoo's.

If ye asked that about them 40 years ago people would would have reacted like people react now woht men in heels.

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

I agree with Shafted. If the vast majority of guys on this board were to start wearing their heels outside the closet then there is a chance that manufacturers would notice.

It is too easy for the majority who want something to leave it to the minority to be activists and win rights for them. How many people on here say "I wish I could wear heels in public."? How many talk about walking outside late at night so they won't be seen?

No, we all have to be proud of our heels and claim them as male fashion!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

There are a few posts that are starting to get to the meat of the matter here. It is not a question of heels for men becoming mainstream. They will not. It is a matter of whether or not one is comfortable being outside of the mainstream.

Ten years ago, redneck garb was jeans, boots, and a ragged t-shirt.... Today the same rednecks are wearing spandex camoflage shirts and crocs.... Things change...

Never frown because you never know who is falling in love with your smile.

Ten years ago, redneck garb was jeans, boots, and a ragged t-shirt.... Today the same rednecks are wearing spandex camoflage shirts and crocs.... Things change...

Oh I'm not so sure about that. They went from western boots to work boots and added more Camo. I don't see that much spandex, and the crocs store went out of business. Walmart is still king of the retailers.

• 2 weeks later...

Most of the possibilities have been covered here but when we say go mainstream then how mainstream can it get. For a boy to have a pair of ear studs is much more common these days and I like that. But like I said earlier Perry Mason would look out of place with four inch stilettos but probably not so for Glory Alred. Today I went out with four inch peep toe pumps but for the wilderness I have size 11 ladies hiking boots. Possibly we have more chance of skirts and kilts really catching on so with the mood of the moment and place high heels for guys will only go as far as it can. Anyway as long as we have those that only wear their heels inside there is some room for getting more mainstream from what we have now. Twenty years ago I would have loved to go out in four inch heels and now I do all the time. Anyway how mainstream can it go. The forklift operator could have work-boots with an inch more heel. The guy with stilettos will be few and far between but possibly the majority of other guys could use an extra inch or two.

For all the guys that wear their heels out in public in full view or under longer pants, I applaude you. I myself wear them as part of my normal wardrobe daily. I even did the grease-monkey thing(worked on my car) today in heels for about 3 hours. As for them going mainstream, we have to make it happen. It's kinda like earrings, body piercings, tattoos or wearing your hat backwards. At first it was odd, wierd, even different, then it was the cool thing as more people did it. Now it just is. My thought is this, if you want to be accepted just go out there with your heels on. Your real friends will accept it, your BFF's will have fun with you about it. Not the 'at your expense' type of fun but the good, 'those are cute shoes', 'I found a pair you would like', type fun. I know for myself for the longest time I was so concerned about what are other people going to think of me and being afraid. I won't lie, my first day out I was scared to death and the first steps were tough ones and I almost chickened out. A little courage and resolve got me through it and my "backup shoes" stay at home. 2 months later and now I am catching glimpses of people looking to see what shoes I'm wearing that day. My $0.02 -Nikki

Hi, You guys have made me realize that it dosnt matter if hees goes mainstream. If we like to wear them, then we should wear them! Heels are no different than anything else I wear. No guys wear bell bottoms, disco shirts, jeans with slits at the hem, pants so wide and long that whey cover most of the shoe, yoga pants rollerblading, and wearing girls sunglasses even when I'm on the subway. There is no such thing as mens fashion, but all of us can stick together and change that. I thought I was different, but when I joined this group I feel great. You people gave me my life back.

Why should we worry or concern ourselves with making heels mainstream for men? I mean, that's not going to happen anyway, so we shouldn't get worked up over things we can't alter or control. Just put on your heels, go out and enjoy yourselves!

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

JeffB makes a good point. One I think is important. Please note below I use "subsection". I am not pointing to the thought process of any particular individual. Reading between the lines of the posts I've read, there is a subsection that wants heels for men to go mainstream so they can point to others wearing them and, accordingly, wear their own. Join the crowd, so to speak. There is another subsection which wants heels to go mainstream to show others that their wearing of heels is not that unusual. Acceptance through numbers. ... and everything in between. I understand the reasons men do not wear heels in public. Those reasons are concrete and very real. But ... for those who are thinking about entering the fray, waiting for a mythical mainstreaming of heels should probably not enter the equation. You will be acting as an individual, not part of a larger, and at this point invisible, group.