Why Is It So Accepteable For Women To Wear Men's Shoes?

Jamie001

It appears that it is very acceptable for women to wear men's shoes styles but the opposite it not true. For example, I often see women in Payless trying-on men's shoes that are for themselves. Also, in the women's section of major shoe and department stores, men style shoes such as oxfords, wingtips, chunky low heel boots and other masculine styles are always available in women's sizes. Why are there no feminine styles offered in the men's shoe department? Why do we have the double standard? When will this change?

Jamie :)

Fashion Freedom for Men!!

1. When a macho sports personality or respected movie star starts wearing heels and women swoon. 2. When a group of cool teen guys start doing it and videos go viral. Then you'll see a fashion change like the 70s. Till then, probably not much will happen. But who cares? Pave your own way, do what you want, and move forward on your own. You only live once and no man on his death bed ever said, "Gosh, I shouldn't have worn high heels so much!" :silly: Steve

Women can wear what they want, it is completely socially accepted and that how it should be. What we need to strive for is equality, that's what women did years ago and they got it. Our turn now.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

I grew up in the '50 when polio was rampant. As I understand, the strength needed to attach the braces, most of the girls were forced into boy's shoes as they were built stronger and were able to withstand the forces of the braces attached. The girl's shoes were too light weight and had the thin soles glued in place. Back then it was a "nightmare" for the girls being stuck in "ugly boy's shoes" until they might have been able to get a pair of saddle oxfords that looked more feminine. Today, it is unusual to see "pretty" shoes as trainers look uni-sexed, flip-flops are just that, and "ugly boy's shoes" seem to be desired. Ah for the days when black patten Mary-Janes were the daily standard and "pretty" was expected and not the exception.

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

Women can wear what they want, it is completely socially accepted and that how it should be. What we need to strive for is equality, that's what women did years ago and they got it. Our turn now.

I couldn't agree more. Acceptance won't be handed to us on a silver platter, we have to go out there and achieve it through our own actions.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Jamie001 et al, Yes women wear what they want from the women's aisle to the men's aisle. It could be that their insatiable desire to express themselves via their clothes, and the fact that their faces and bodies are usually easier on the eyes than those of men, are some of the reasons women get away with having absolute fashion freedom. The world actually values masculine qualities more than it does feminine qualities. Women are encouraged and applauded when they tackle challenges in fields dominated by men whereas men are discouraged from expressing any feminine expression. So, while the world allows women to wear what they want those same women invariably make less money than men for doing the same job. That's not what I want to see but it IS what I see. As to the double standard, life isn't fair and was never designed to be. My experience has been that I can go, dressed as a guy, maybe wearing some sort of heels or not, into a store and shop for high heels with any problem at all. I try on high heels in Bakers, Macys, DSW, Charlotte Russe, and Nordstom Rack at times around other people and nothing bad happens. I have tried on dresses and skirts at Macys, Kohls, and Dress Barn with no uncomfortable moments. After the economic cataclysm we just had I think more retailers are glad to see anyone in their store. I have also just learned that I apparently have garnered enormous credibility with the Bakers corporate headquarters in St. Louis not just as a frequent buyer, but as a knowledgeable consumer of their product who has often written to them about effective employees and ways I see of improving their business model. Many retailers are keely aware of men wanting to buy from the "women's side of the aisle." All of us must assert our rights not only as Americans, Canadians, or whatever country we live in, but also as equal gender customers. When the business world see us coming they'll have no choice but to welcome us with open arms. That's how change is made. HappyinHeels

1. When a macho sports personality or respected movie star starts wearing heels and women swoon.

2. When a group of cool teen guys start doing it and videos go viral.

Then you'll see a fashion change like the 70s. Till then, probably not much will happen. But who cares? Pave your own way, do what you want, and move forward on your own. You only live once and no man on his death bed ever said, "Gosh, I shouldn't have worn high heels so much!" :silly:

Steve

I agree emphatically with both of you. I totally agree with the "equality" issue concerning fashion and footwear. Again, time will tell.

It's because upward assimilation is not only accepted by society, but encouraged. When the Out of Power group (women) indentifies with the In Power group (men) in a world in which men dominate in general, it's viewed as ambitious and rewarded. So when women identify with men by wearing men's clothing, it's symbolic of upward assimilation and therefore encouraged. Downward assimilation, on the other hand is not as accepted by society. Sometimes it's even frowned upon. So when the In Power group (men) assimilate with the Out of Power group (women), they risk rejection professionally, socially, and personally.

Feminine Style .  Masculine Soul.  Skin In The Game.

The world actually values masculine qualities more than it does feminine qualities.

Sad but UNTRUE. Nowadays masculinity is linked to undesirable behaviour, raping, sex attacks, violence in every form, lack of commitment, and a large etcetera.

All fashion that is masculine is socially accepted to women,not just shoes and noone si going to give away equality for free.Most men and probably most women would be against gender equality in fashion - men because of the macho bull*it ideology and women because of reason number one and the fact that to wear the opposite's sex stuff and so on is an advantage while you keep your things only for yourself.

I'm in complete agreement with Kneehighs. It's not set in stone and it's changing. Lady Gaga and others are slowly starting to make people realise that one can dress as one pleases. We are in constant transition and life now is as advanced as it has ever been. We are lucky that we can even talk about this as adults on a public forum and meet others that share our ideas.

Edited by benno

The simple answer is because most mainstream men's clothing over time has become largely gender neutral for many of the reasons touched on here. But not all men's clothes are so. When one sees a woman in a clearly male suit, tie, shoes and pants, for example, it stands out as a statement of fashion boldness, if still falling short of radical. But it gets notice and sets the brain at work as to the motivation behind it.

The simple answer is because most mainstream men's clothing over time has become largely gender neutral for many of the reasons touched on here. But not all men's clothes are so. When one sees a woman in a clearly male suit, tie, shoes and pants, for example, it stands out as a statement of fashion boldness, if still falling short of radical. But it gets notice and sets the brain at work as to the motivation behind it.

I've seen many women in NOT the female version of male clothes and shoes and even some in formal male attire(though most wear usually man's t-shirts,trousers and shoes) and still it goes rather unnoticed and non life threatening as a man in a dress/skirt & top and heels would be on the street.My sister does that and noone is questioning her normality (she wears sometimes non formal male apparel and has 2 kids).

Hence the confusion. Men it seems are beginning to realise that they are no longer the dominant.

Well don't sound like a bad thing maby female leaders can clean up de mess male leaders made.

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

I don't operate in the business world, where it might be different, but I suspect that most of us, if we wear male clothes, aren't doing it to express our masculine side, quite the opposite. My best friend at school, in her late teens cut her hair in a boys style and wore boys' clothes for two years. She was a very girly girl and didn't want to look masculine. The effect was arrestingly feminine. It's not so much what you wear as how you wear it. I would imagine that it's very difficult for a man to look masculine in women's fashions (or indeed, feminine, if that's what they want, as it's hard for a woman to look masculine). It would take a better mind than mine to understand why this should be.

quidam, I knew there would be at least one. The world values masculine qualities more than it does feminine qualities based on what people gravitate to which is based on their actions. Look at the world around you. Masculinity is liked to all the things you said like violence. Well, look at the movies and see how well violence sells around the world. How about video games? Look how we are drawn in to all manner of competitive sports. Look at the zeal to make money as fast as possible. Men have largely been responsible for this. If the world valued feminine qualities over masculine ones then I believe our world would indeed be more peaceful. Then of course there's what happens to scores of female babies in China. The proof is in the actions. HappyinHeels

Hear hear..

quidam, I knew there would be at least one. The world values masculine qualities more than it does feminine qualities based on what people gravitate to which is based on their actions. Look at the world around you. Masculinity is liked to all the things you said like violence. Well, look at the movies and see how well violence sells around the world. How about video games? Look how we are drawn in to all manner of competitive sports. Look at the zeal to make money as fast as possible. Men have largely been responsible for this. If the world valued feminine qualities over masculine ones then I believe our world would indeed be more peaceful. Then of course there's what happens to scores of female babies in China. The proof is in the actions. HappyinHeels

It's for the reasons above that I believe men have had their day as rulers of this Earth.

Perhaps that's why so many of you feel the need to express your feminine side.

Edited by Amanda Snake

Amanda, You may very well be correct in that. I hope so. Men have failed miserably to lead the human species, and have brought us to the brink of extinction. I would welcome women leaders who can lead without resorting to masculine characteristics. And I think it does draw out my feminine side as being peace-loving, caring, and feeling good about myself. You're very perceptive. Steve

It will be a mae dominated world for some time yet, although women are now involved in every part of business, politics and positions of power, they still are a very small percentage of those who have the greatest influence, which is ridiculous really as they are 50% of the population. Clearly the best next solution is to have men in heels in power mww ha ha ha...........

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

Err, no. You're all going to have to behave in a much more reasonable fashion before you can wear heels without inviting scorn. Getting out of politics would be quite a good start.

Edited by Amanda Snake

Just about all fashion started out as men's fashion. It would have been news to Louis XIV that high heels were "women's shoes." For most of history, men's fashion in the civilized world was anti-utilitarian. Michael Korda describes the boots of the Spanish grandees, whose soles were so thin that they would have been destroyed walking from the house to the horse barn. Only men who had servants to bring their horses to them could wear boots like that. It is only in the last 200 or so years -- since the Duke of Wellington started wearing trousers in society, really -- that menswear went from anti-utilitarian fashion to utilitarian anti-fashion.

Also factor in the French Revolution when it was seen as morally wrong to be upper class. Also the many wars and industrial revolutions made it a necessity for most men to be ready for action and high heels are not really ideal for factories or war. Nothing happens overnight. We are in a great new age where it's slowly strarting to filter down that we can do as we please and wear what we wish. It's gonna get better. It's how we work as 'team humanity' (I hope).

Edited by benno