First Time To Work

niknhose

...She told me her 10 yr old son was having problems with his and asked did I think she could get him in a pair of heels. Work being work I didnt get a chance to answer her. I did however send some of the info I had found on the issue to her including some shoe sites.

I have become alot more confident and less self-conscious about wearing my heels around work and out in public in the past couple of weeks. All of the encouraging words and stories have been helpful in my quest for normality/liberation/freedom in being me. Thank you all.

-Nikki

I admire you for following up on the conversation and giving the woman some good advice. Let us know how it goes with her and her son if you learn anything. I'm glad to know that all of us here have been of help to you in improving your confidence. This is a great community and I have found it very helpful, too, so I'm glad to do my part to assist others. Nikki, please continue to post on your progress, outings, and encounters. You write well and I enjoy reading your posts.

Steve

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't say what info you sent her, Nikki, but I just have an uncomfortable feeling about 10-year-olds in heels. The feet are still growing and developing, and heels to alleviate his achilles tendon problems might cause other problems.

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

You don't say what info you sent her, Nikki, but I just have an uncomfortable feeling about 10-year-olds in heels. The feet are still growing and developing, and heels to alleviate his achilles tendon problems might cause other problems.

In my discussion with her, we had breifly talked about the fact that her son was seeing a doctor already and the process was taking a long time. The information that I had given her was in regards to achilles tendon problems and common solutions for healing. This included information on using lifts to help with the issue. She is a smart woman so I would hope that she would discuss any information and options with her son's doctor before trying anything on her own. The shoe site is a site for typical men's shoes with lifts built in.

In my case 3 inch heels might be a bit extreme to help with the issue I have as most lifts for the issue usually only go upto about 19mm, but I love my loafers.

-Nikki

That's fine, I'm glad to hear that. I hope she gets it sorted for her son. Of course, in a few years' time you could send him to this site...

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

Today I decided that after months of pain with my achilles when not wearing heels I would visit the doctor. We go the all the routine stuff, I explain the problem and my research to help fix the problem(3 inch heels and stretching). I described the exercises and stretches I attempt to do on a regular basis. I explain that the heels help with the pain in my heel and the headaches, due to the pain in my heel, when I dont wear them. The doctor inquires if I am aware of the issues that heels can cause and I advise her that I am aware of them. The doctor recommends that I continue what I have been doing so far and adds that I should do massage and heat therepy. She also recommnded that I start wearing lower heels. I advised her I already bought a pair of 2 inch wedges just for that purpose :). So, I am now under doctor's orders to wear heels(woohoo :D) but to lower them over time and try to get down to flats(sad panda :( ). Guess now I can tell my co-workers, and the rest of the world, doctor's orders ;). -Nikki

I don't think you need a medical excuse, especially if it's destined to disappear as you are encouraged to go to flatter shoes, and I doubt that your co-workers will really believe that excuse anyway. Doctors just don't normally prescribe heels, especially for guys, so it will sound like a lame (pardon the pun) excuse to most people. Just wear what you want, as long as it's stylish, coordinated with your clothes, doesn't go over the top, isn't dangerous to yourself, isn't distracting to co-workers, and doesn't get you fired. Enjoy your life. You only get one chance at it! Good luck! Steve

Wearing heels to work very much depends on the type of job you have. In my old job which I'm thankfully free from now, heels at work was a no no. My current job at the theatre however heels, even my stilettos are okay even encouraged. My coworkers even think I look funny, and even laugh out loud when I'm in flat shoes. They don't think I look right if I'm not wearing heels. The point is heels on a guy in general may not be considered normal, but once people become acclimated to you wearing heels they do become normal.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Very well stated. People are creatures of habit. It may be hard for people to get their head around the idea of a guy in heels at first, but once they get used to it, they miss it when he wears flats! Great observation, Shafted! Steve

I really meant the "doctor's orders" as a tongue in cheek thing as everybody at work knows I wear them. Since I have to wear lower heels, I have 'switched up' my shoes to my 2.5" maryjanes. The 2" inch wedges gave me a bit of grief after only a couple of hours, so I'll have to work my way down. I know you all are probably saying I should go higher ;), but I would like to walk in whatever I want when I want be it flats or stiletos :D. Hopefully only a few months and I'll be there. But I know it going to be a 'long road to walk' ;). Steve - thanks again for your encouragement. I am making strides in wearing diferent heels to work and out in public. I still get that pang of nervousness when I wear a pair that I know is going to make noise when I walk. Shafted - as a desk-jockey I can wear pretty much anything. Most of the time we are required to wear at least casual which is jeans and a collared shirt(business casual with jeans). All of my shoes are subdued styles and all black so they go with everything I have. I have not ventured into colors or prints... yet. The wife is a bit fussy about me wearing heels out in public, and the few pairs of heels I have, as it is. Ultra-feminine shoes would most likely make her crazy ;) lol. To everyone else - Women stole all of our fashions- heels, skirts, tights and pants. I hope that you too can find the courage to take some of it back. I'm taking back my heels and tights :D lol. And thanks for all the kind words :D. -Nikki

• 2 months later...

It takes courage to wear for the 1st time in many environments. Once you get past the hurdle and you portray that confidence I think it becomes easier and your responses to questions more natural. I took a gradual approach in work......sounded out some of my colleagues views on similar topics in the hope that I would know what to expect. Then I started to wear items of clothing that were androgynous, progressing initially to women's trousers/jeans and suits with fairly ambiguous female shoes. The nylons were the big giveaway for me and once they knew I wore nylons it was a short step to heels, skirts dresses etc.... The women were great even though they did not always understand my rationale......the men were stand offish initially and as I have said in previous posts once they realise you are still the same person they treat you the same.......although they do tease occasionally. It has prompted some interesting conversations and taught a few more people to be open minded and less judegmental. /I refrained from using the word Bigot given the trouble Nick Clegg finds himself in today) :) A x

It takes courage to wear for the 1st time in many environments. Once you get past the hurdle and you portray that confidence I think it becomes easier and your responses to questions more natural.

I took a gradual approach in work......sounded out some of my colleagues views on similar topics in the hope that I would know what to expect. Then I started to wear items of clothing that were androgynous, progressing initially to women's trousers/jeans and suits with fairly ambiguous female shoes.

The nylons were the big giveaway for me and once they knew I wore nylons it was a short step to heels, skirts dresses etc....

The women were great even though they did not always understand my rationale......the men were stand offish initially and as I have said in previous posts once they realise you are still the same person they treat you the same.......although they do tease occasionally.

It has prompted some interesting conversations and taught a few more people to be open minded and less judegmental. /I refrained from using the word Bigot given the trouble Nick Clegg finds himself in today) :)

A x

Right, the gradual approach seems to be the best way to avoid shocking colleagues.

That's the way I've chosen too, but I never went as far as wearing nylons+dresses/skirts, because that's just not me.

I also got questions and gentle teases about my jeans and shoes, but that is part of the way to acceptance : what is unusual is somehow puzzling.

I dyed my hair recently, and I got questions and gentle teases too, although it's much less unusual for a man to do that. People interact, that's life :wave:

Just an update on my adventures at work and how much people do not notice shoes. I had a friend of mine of many years, who also sat across the aisle from me, ask me 2 days ago about my heels. Mind you, this is after wearing them for over 4 months. He asked me what's the deal with the shoes? I replied, I'll give you 2 answers, 1. cuz I can and 2 because of achilles tendonitis. We talked a bit about it and went about our day. AHB13 - I appluad you for your courage to go all out. I, however, still keep my skirts 'in the closet'. I have noticed at my job the same thing about people being more relaxed after a time. I have also noticed that people that I thought would ask me about my attire didn't and some people surprised me with some of the questions they asked. Oh yea and welcome to the site! -Nikki

I wear heels (clogs and boots) frequently but I only wear them under boot cut colored (brown, khaki, black) boot cut jeans Mon-Thurs. On casual Friday I usually wear my OTK Frye Campus Boots with skinny jeans. I have two pairs, one grey and the other a dark maroon color. I get compliments from guys but some ladies seem to not like them it seems. In general this area is very accepting of differences, unlike some places I've lived.

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I've updated this thread. Since my last update I 've had 3 more more people ask me about my heels and why I wear them. My last conversation was with a girl that had complimented me on my shoes about 4 months ago. We happened to go to break at the same tiime and she asked 'why the heels?'.I explained my reasons: 1. cuz i can. 2. being fashion forward. 3. heels were originaly men's fashion. 4. medical. I recently started trying new fashion styles with what I wear by matching my nylons with the shirt I wear. The biggest reaction so far was when I wore a pink shirt and tights with stilettos(previously discussed in another thread). Nothing bad just a lot of wow. I have noticed that more of my co-workers are checking out my shoes when in passing these days. I even have a couple of people that come by and ask 'what shoes are you wearing today?'. My next step is to wear either my red patent pumps or my purple and pink jupiter heels. For me going into colors or prints is a challenge. You know that voice, OMG what will people think, it's back :(. Nikki

It's been a while since I've updated this thread. Since my last update I 've had 3 more more people ask me about my heels and why I wear them. My last conversation was with a girl that had complimented me on my shoes about 4 months ago. We happened to go to break at the same tiime and she asked 'why the heels?'.I explained my reasons: 1. cuz i can. 2. being fashion forward. 3. heels were originaly men's fashion. 4. medical.

I recently started trying new fashion styles with what I wear by matching my nylons with the shirt I wear. The biggest reaction so far was when I wore a pink shirt and tights with stilettos(previously discussed in another thread). Nothing bad just a lot of wow.

I have noticed that more of my co-workers are checking out my shoes when in passing these days. I even have a couple of people that come by and ask 'what shoes are you wearing today?'.

My next step is to wear either my red patent pumps or my purple and pink jupiter heels. For me going into colors or prints is a challenge. You know that voice, OMG what will people think, it's back :(.

Nikki

Sounds like you work in a very forgiving work place. What type of business is it that doesn't mind a guy in stilettos?

My kind of place!

Jimnj3, I work in a call(contact) center as a customer service agent. I was unsure when I first started to wear them and spoke with HR just in case. They said there was nothing in the company policy that would not allow me to wear heels. I also have a note from my doctor advising that I wear "lower heels" as part of my treatment plan. Nikki

• 3 weeks later...

Today was another first for me, I decided to wear my Lane Bryant Red patent pumps to work today. I had mulled it over for a few days and was thinking of things I could wear with them. I tried to go with a christmas type theme to my attire, red shirt with red shoes and green or x-mas themed hose. To my dismay I was unable to acquire said nylons, so I went with black tights. I got compliments form lots of people at work, both guys and girls. One girl even said she was jealous (yes, she was being honest). Nikki

• 1 month later...

It's been a while since I've updated this. First thanks for the compliments on the heels. Unfortunately I had to return them as they were a bit to small and uncomfortable to wear. I exchanged them for a pair of black patent peep toe with a red platform and snake skin accent. Much to my amusement they have the girls at the office envious :). I even figured out one of my female friends even has a nylon fetish as she makes it a point to touch my nylons and tell me she likes the color and feel. The past 8 months have been an adventure in discovery, expression and self confidence. I am still working on wearing bolder colors with my shoes and I will get there one step at a time ;). I would like to once again thank all the people here for their support.

Nikki

post-18404-0-69078800-1360382256_thumb.j