Here Come The Wedges

onhertoes

Went to the mall yesterday and there seems to be a trend going to Wedges. I am not a big fan of them and it seemed like there was 3 times more Wedges on the girls then heels. I did see a few with high clunky heels on. It looked like they were made of wood or something. I guess nice heels are on the way out for now. One good thing is the wedges and klunky shoes looked cheeply made so maybe they will not last very long and they will not buy more to replace them.

I love wedges! Definitely not as sexy as stilettos, but can be just as high if you can find the right ones. Some of them are quite nice looking, and they can be quite comfortable and quiet. I have some by Karo Shoes, which are sold by the "stripper" outlets and have a mini platform, 5.5" heels. Also a 5.5" heel slingback wedge from Payless which is very comfortable, and a 6" wedge sandal from Sam Edelman which is quite high. All have decently wide soles. I don't care for the high platform shoes any more (like in my avatar), and some of the Nine West wedges have a 1.5" platform with a quite narrow sole, so they aren't real stable on uneven ground.

I quite like wedges to wear but I'm not a huge fan of the way they look. Wooden heels are another matter and I think that wooden slides with very high heels are the sexiest style ever devised. It's just a shame my boyfriend doesn't like them though...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Went to the mall yesterday and there seems to be a trend going to Wedges. I am not a big fan of them and it seemed like there was 3 times more Wedges on the girls then heels. I did see a few with high clunky heels on. It looked like they were made of wood or something. I guess nice heels are on the way out for now. One good thing is the wedges and klunky shoes looked cheeply made so maybe they will not last very long and they will not buy more to replace them.

I haven't noticed this trend locally, but then again I'm not in a fashion oriented location either. I'll have to look around a bit when I get somewhere more fashion oriented.

I only have one pair of wedges, but I find some good looking, and would consider getting another pair.

I just got a new pair of wedges, in white, a slide sandal from Sears. com. That is my second pair of wedges. Last year I bought a pair of black wedge slide sandals from Naturalizer at their store. I am not a big fan of wedges, but I like what I purchased and will be wearing them especially with capris and shorts this summer. Happy Heeling, bluejay

I have 5 pairs of wedges: 2 courts, 1 peep-toe and 2 sandals. I tend to prefer the smarter styles with a more slender wedge (I love that footprint shape) but I think some slightly less slender casual styles can look nice. For me they have to be pretty high though - I bought the brown sandals (photo bottom right) simply because I really liked the strappy style and they are 3½" which is as low as I would go.

post-12051-0-94625700-1337998919_thumb.j

If you like it, wear it.

• 4 weeks later...

Originally, I wasn't a fan of wedges, but after having bought a nice pair from Payless (the "Kylie") and discovered how cute they are and how fun they are to wear, I've slowly begun to change my mind about them.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I was in Las Vegas while on holiday recently and I can tell you that just about every third woman who walked past you was wearing wedges, some very high. High stilettoes were also very, very popular and looked great with short, tight skirts (perhaps that's because I am a dirty old man!!)

I now have a couple pair of wedge heels sandals. Just got a pair in white and wore them to-day for the first time out in public. I never really liked wedge heels, but as JeffB said he is starting to enjoy wearing them out, just as I am. They are very comfy to wear. My new white ones are "Rivera" Covington (Sears on line site) very reasonable priced too. I paid less than $20.00 for them. Happy Heeling, bluejay

Wedges are amazing. When properly executed they can be devastating. I love the shapes they can create. There's so much room for playful design. There are some situations where only a wedge will do.

post-2110-0-20569900-1340845200_thumb.jp

post-2110-0-57955300-1340845210_thumb.jp

Edited by benno

• 2 weeks later...

All, I'm quite a fan of wedges for sure. There is no better shoe for stability in someone's back yard on the grass or walking on trails but still wanting some sort of high heel. One can show off the pedicure and get some sense of reasonable stability. If you're ever invited to an outdoor wedding and want to wear some heels then wedges are the choice! HappyinHeels

• 2 months later...

All, I'm quite a fan of wedges for sure. There is no better shoe for stability in someone's back yard on the grass or walking on trails but still wanting some sort of high heel. One can show off the pedicure and get some sense of reasonable stability. If you're ever invited to an outdoor wedding and want to wear some heels then wedges are the choice! HappyinHeels

That matches my opinion quite well !

I own several wedges and I love them !

• 2 weeks later...

As of this writing, I now have six pairs of wedges, all from Payless, and they're all surprisingly stylish and, more importantly, fun to wear, something I didn't at all figure on when I first gave them a try a couple of months ago. At present, I'd love to get my hands on a pair of tall, wedge heeled boots that I could wear over tight jeans, that would make for an awesome look!

• 2 weeks later...

Wedges are shoes that can be casual or can be worn at very upscale events depending on how they are made. They are a more stealthy shoe particualrly if closed-toe and the same color as the pants you're wearing. It seems it's not so much the wedge shoe you're wearing but the color of any nail polish that gets noticed first. I have worn wedges in more public venues than any other style shoe I have so I think I'm definitely hooked on them. HappyinHeels

Wedge heels can also be quite discrete in public, as there is no gap between the heel and the rest of the shoe/boot.

Unless you wear them with skirts like I do, then it really doesn't matter if they're discreet! :silly:

• 7 months later...

Wedges are a non starter as far as i am concerned . the only practicle use of them is to use them as a hammer if you havnt got one.! and as for flip flops well the name sort of reflects how you walk in them .shuffle ,shifting ..not for me either

I like wedges! They can be very discrete like in a sneaker, or boots. Personally I think men can get away wearing wedges than any other heel stile with the exception of a cowboy riding heel. Have a few sneakers, one pair of 9 West ankle boots and a pair of pumps but have not worn those out. My wife likes the 9W boots, as they make your feet look small. The sneakers I wear more often than other heels even the cowboy boots as the one I have are more for dressed up.

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

I never did like wedges, but after buying a couple of pairs over the last two years, I have come to like wearing them too. Just tonight, I wore a pair of white wedge heel sandal slides with 4" heels, white skinny jeans and black long length, rayon, camp shirt. I did get a couple compliments at the mall while shopping at DSW and Macy's. Happy Heeling, bluejay