The Evolution of Ugly Shoes

JeffB

In the beginning, there were flip-flips, and lo, were they ever ugly!

Posted Image

While I was in the Navy, we called them "shower shoes" because we wore them in the shower to keep from slipping on the wet tile floor and falling in the stall and busting your arse. The concept of wearing the damn things outside, in public was beyond my meager comprehension. There is just no style or fashion to flip-flops, no protection either, as in keeping your feet dry in the rain or warm in cold weather as I've seen knuckleheads wearing them in winter. Ugly shoes began with flip-flops.

Next, we come to Chinese slippers:

Posted Image

These wretched things came about in the mid to late 90's, a staple of bargain basement stores where you could buy them for around five bucks, and while they came in numerous colors, like flip-flops, they also had no style, looked cheap and probably lasted about a week before the mesh would eventually fall apart. Unlike flip-flops, Chinese slippers didn't have much in the way of longevity and eventually went the way of all short-term fads after the turn of the century. Thank goodness!

Unfortunately, THIS fad isn't going anywhere anytime soon:

Posted Image

Yes, the dreaded Uggs. The world is positively awash in the furry, frumpy things which came ashore from Australia several years ago, and, sadly, we've been drowning in them ever since. Females from six to sixty can be seen wearing the things, especially in winter as it's not uncommon (or exaggerated) to see 7 out of every 10 females clomping around in the boots which have all the style of a brick. Hell, I've seen girls wearing them in July, JULY, proof positive of the insane popularity of Uggs.

Lastly, we come to the current leader in the all-ugly shoes clubhouse, the Dansko clog:

Posted Image

When I first saw these horrors, I wanted to vomit. No fashion, no style, clumpy and cloddish and bulky as hell, and yet, they're breeding everywhere these days. While I understand these shoes were initially made for the service industries and can be seen on feet in hospitals and restaurants, I didn't think they'd become popular enough where they'd be worn on the street, mostly by women, and that they come in all sorts of colors and variations as their popularity grew, but that doesn't take away from the sheer repugnance factor.

Now, while I'm aware that style and fashion is purely in the eye of the beholder, but when it comes to flip-flops, Chinese slippers, Uggs and Dansko clogs, these are prime examples of Universal Ugly when it comes to shoes.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

What I want to know is: who is it who decided that shapeless bags of sheepskin could ever be regarded as high fashion?

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I agree with everything that has been posted above. I maintain that those sheepskin boots got their name the very first time a guy saw them on a woman. However, my wife and daughters seem to have perpetually cold feet and hands. They have multiple pairs which are worn frequently. I have no desire for my family to be uncomfortable during the winter just for the sake of fashion so it woks for everyone. If my wife chooses to wear them when we go to an outdoor sporting event, that's fine with me. I've told her that I tolerate them only because I'm glad she is comfortable. I see no reason to ever mention it again. For my daughters, there was probably a large degree of peer influence as well. So far my wife has never worn them out to dinner on our anniversary. I guess we have "an understanding." On a different but related topic, there is a vast number of styles, not mentioned above that are simply hideous. There is no other suitable term. It amazes me that a woman can walk into a shoe store, take them off the shelf, turn them from sis to side and exclaim, "Oh! These are so cute." It's not always old ladies that are buys them, either.

What I want to know is: who is it who decided that shapeless bags of sheepskin could ever be regarded as high fashion?

Certainly not the sheep!

But then there are those who follow fashion like sheep - oh, the irony!

If you like it, wear it.

http://www.clogs.co.uk/cat_barclog.htmThose clogs make me feel sad. I've got two pairs of dancing clogs, one red, one green. They're beautiful handmade things, with hand tooled embossed designs on them. I can't show pictures, but this might give an idea. I don't wear them much now, because I can't dance much these days, but wearing them I could stay on my feet for hours.

I see them as slip on daily footware, not ' high fashion '. Whomever believes Uggs are ' high fashion ' needs to share what they are smoking! I could use a good toke right now! :unsure:

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

http://www.clogs.co.uk/cat_barclog.htm

Ha! I managed to foul up posting a link AGAIN. I wonder if this is better. Yes, it works. Yippee!

I've been to the factory when I was up in Yorkshire last year and had a look round the showroom. I like clogs but wasn't really in a buying mood that day. I spend many days wearing classic "Sanita" clogs. they may not be the most beautiful of shoes but they are certainly comfortable.

JeffB, I agree with you about flip flops, but I take exception to your remarks on Dansko clogg. I have a few pair of open back Dansko cloggs which I consider to be heel worthy. I also have 3 pair of real heeled Dansko clogs which are very fashionable and have brought many comments when I am wearing them. I have the heeled clogs in black, brown and red. Happy Heeling, bluejaypost-2962-0-00484700-1335420006_thumb.jp

Edited by bluejay
  • Like 1

I'm with you, Bluejay. I like clogs and I like your heeled clogs. Clogs are a great way to wear heels when you want to be stealthy, as they usually have a non-stiletto heel, they usually don't have a noisy heel, and the front is easily mistaken for men's shoes. I have a lot of clogs in my closet and wear them often, especially if it's too cold for sandals. Clogs are fun! Steve

• Like 1

I'm with you, Bluejay. I like clogs and I like your heeled clogs. Clogs are a great way to wear heels when you want to be stealthy, as they usually have a non-stiletto heel, they usually don't have a noisy heel, and the front is easily mistaken for men's shoes. I have a lot of clogs in my closet and wear them often, especially if it's too cold for sandals. Clogs are fun!

Steve

Sorry Jeffb, but I also am on the clogs bandwagon. Have been wearing them for years the best stealth heels.

rx

• Like 1

Yes, but JeffB showed a picture of particularly ugly clogs. The ones in his picture aren't hand made by craftsmen. They're stapled together, with cheap staples, for goodness sake. Jeff B's thread highlights how squalid our lives can become if we're not careful, and for that I applaud him

Well, to each their own. I still find clogs hard on the eyes and wholly unattractive.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

. Jeff B's thread highlights how squalid our lives can become if we're not careful, and for that I applaud him

pardon my poor English, but what do you mean there?

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

Sorry, I meant that I thought JeffB makes a good point about how easy it is for everyone to accept cheap and nasty things because it seems to take too much effort to look for nice well made things. You can see from looking at those clogs that the maker didn't care.

I have this style of Doc Martens clogs in both black and brown. Very comfortable, have worn them outside many times. Unfortunately no longer available.

post-1248-0-47178300-1335799678_thumb.pn

Sorry, I meant that I thought JeffB makes a good point about how easy it is for everyone to accept cheap and nasty things because it seems to take too much effort to look for nice well made things. You can see from looking at those clogs that the maker didn't care.

aah I get now thanks!

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

Steve, nice looking clogs. After re-reading JeffB post, I think he was referring to the Dansko Clogs in the picture from their professional line of clogs. Those clogs are for work. Nurses, Doctors, Chefs tend to wear those type of clogs along with other people who have to stand on their feet for long periods of time. They are comfortable to wear, as my wife will attest to that. Now their open back and heeled line of clogs are attractive and I do wear them often. I also have some heeled clogs from Born and Naturalizer, which I like to wear also. Happy Heeling, bluejay

• Like 1

I agree that clogs are not necessarily the most elegant of shoes and frequently the styles do fall into the ugly bucket, but I agree with all of the followup posts - they are comfortable, convenient, and yes, wonderfully stealthy for heeling. I own a several pairs myself.

well I think uggs win the ugly contest by a landslide

I'm not so sure. to be frank I'd rather see a pair of uggs on a girl then the clogs people have been posting here. And I do think uggs are butt ugly.

Interestingly, the original Ugg was designed as a between surf and street footwear that became mainstream and worked into a fashion item. I can only wish I was the one who ran with that ball because that person can now wear whatever they want and not have to worry about a dam thing. I do not like the original boot either as pictured above but in fact they have been making some nicer shoes now. Its just the name that bothers me. Maybe we could think of U.G.G.S. as "Universal Girls and Guys Shoes! with a motto of" building shoes and boots for evryone's heeling interests....... wait I think I dreaming...... Mtnsofheels

Edited by mtnsofheels