Article From The Guardian

Leo

I've noticed heel prices for well-made, mainstream shoes have nearly doubled in the last seven years, while inflation has remained less than 2%. I've also noticed manufacturers seem to be claiming that even poorly-made heels are of a better cut. I know this as I've unwittingly purchased some. :unsure:

Those who really care about us don't make a fuss about what we wear. Those who make a fuss about what we wear really don't care about us.

Well, what HASN'T gone up in price these days? No surprise there.

Jeff, you're right on! No matter what government economists say about the "official" rate of inflation, some prices have gone way up, and like you say, no surprise there.

If you put all the economists in the world end to end in a straight line, they still wouldn't reach a conclusion! :unsure:

Steve

It's not surprising really. It's likee with concert tickets. Bands and promoters noticed that people were willing to pay two to three times as much from scalpers, so clearly the market was willing to pay more for their tickets, so as a result they have been raising prices ever since. Since we are willing to pay inflated prices for designers shoes what's stopping them from inflating prices even more? Clearly not us, that's for sure.

Since we are willing to pay inflated prices for designers shoes what's stopping them from inflating prices even more? Clearly not us, that's for sure.

Others, outside of myself, MIGHT be willing to pay excessive amounts for a pair of footwear.

Myself? The cap is a lot lower.

Heres *my* belief and it should in no way be viewed as anything other then what it basically states..

I see people whom are homeless. I see people whom have lost jobs ( all to many as of late ).

I now see people whom rave and drool over 500-1000$ pairs of shoes and some might even buy them?

Its *their* money, I understand such and they can buy whatever they want. It doesnt mean I will invite them or their ' precious/snobby ' attitudes into my home.

We can all complain about cheap knockoffs and other peoples bad tastes in footware till we run into that person whom has no legs. It makes things ' real ' .

• Like 1

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Well said Ilk. Especially the last line. I don't mind the knock offs as long as they are reasonable, it's the real nasty copies that do harm and I'd rather know it's a copy than being scammed for even half silly money. WE will buy what we can (or think we can) afford within our budgets but to (hopefully) see reason and balance the scores. I don't need a pair of Loubies to go to work any more than I needed a Mustang Mach 1 to go the same 2 miles but that short distance would kill both! Al

• Like 1

Everyone spends money. They buy things they want, think they need or are necessary. They pay the price that the item is worth to them. So, some buy expensive shoes. Others buy food and pay for a roof over their heads. That's life.

• Like 1

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

I think the phenomena is related to the inequalities between the richest people and the poorest people. These inequalities have increased a lot in the last ten years. (I mean the income of the richest person divided by the income of the poorest person has increased dramatically). In our country, there could have been a law putting a ceiling to that ratio by limiting the maximum annual income of a single person, based on economists advices for eonomic sustainability. But nethertheless, the phenoma is there, and you can find a football player earning 350 000 € a week, playing football in front of supporters earning less than 1000 € a month. Now what is his wife gonna do with all that money ? Buy shoes with unlimited budget !

I think the phenomena is related to the inequalities between the richest people and the poorest people.

These inequalities have increased a lot in the last ten years.

Inequities? I dunno. I call it more or less ' common sense '. What do I NEED to spend on a pair of shoes? They go on my feet, they get worn.

A good comparison would be to what I pay for a guitar. I have been known to spend 3000$USD for a guitar, but it produces a certain sound. Doesnt matter what it ' looks ' like to me, but what it ' sounds ' like to everyone.

Some would say its about comfort. Well.. I hate to be the spoiler but Ive worn a pair of CL's for hours and Ive worn some NineWest shoes for the same amount of time.. Feet felt fine in each.

I think it has more to do with the ' prestige '. Its like a social status symbol. " I have CL's on my feet, It will make me look more sophisticated or I will be seen as a bigger person.. ". Honestly? Really? Why not just be a bigger person to begin with then worry about your footware?

(I mean the income of the richest person divided by the income of the poorest person has increased dramatically).

In our country, there could have been a law putting a ceiling to that ratio by limiting the maximum annual income of a single person, based on economists advices for eonomic sustainability.

The day this happens where I live, Guns will come out. Violence will happen VERY quickly. Its not a good thing for ANYONE.

But nethertheless, the phenoma is there, and you can find a football player earning 350 000 € a week, playing football in front of supporters earning less than 1000 € a month.

I have 2 relatives in the US Armed Services. In the last 10 years, between the 2 of them, they have a total of 4 years in the US and all the other years were spent somewhere else. Neither has made more then 30,000$USD in a single year in those 10 years.

Now what is his wife gonna do with all that money ? Buy shoes with unlimited budget !

If the wives/husbands of Athletes feel a need to spend money on such Items, they should be free to do so. Its their choice. *I* dont purchase/watch any ' professional ' sports as I think the value of those people is hyper-inflated. Cops, Firemen, Service Members, DOCTORS are all doing more for my community and those around me, yet make only a fraction of what a supposed ' athlete ' makes? Those athletes dont need my dollars, theres enough suckers already pandering to them :mecry:

I believe the whole conversation revolves around ' value ' and ' values ' of every individual. What we gain and what its ' worth ' for us.

Until recently, I used to do music lessons at a local boys-n-girls youth center. I dont presently have the energy to do it right now but will go back to doing it ( hopefully ) in about a month. Im paid nothing/zilch for my efforts. I use my own equipment ( amps, cables, pedals ) and only require ' students ' to bring their own guitars. I've even donated guitars that I have purchased at pawn/thrift shops.

Why?

Because I *AM* Paid. Not by dollars or anything a ' dollar ' could buy. I see these kids smile. I speak with their parents and get to tell them their kids are actually accomplishing something outside of hanging out on a street corner somewhere and getting into trouble. I run into these people at stores, just being out and about and we converse and interact. Such is worth more to me then 50 pairs of CL's, Whatever the newest car is or even any dollar value. Others would say Im wasting my time.

I think the ' haves ' and ' have nots ' are more defined in our minds, not by what we have in our pockets :unsure:

• Like 3

Why?

Because I *AM* Paid. Not by dollars or anything a ' dollar ' could buy. I see these kids smile. I speak with their parents and get to tell them their kids are actually accomplishing something outside of hanging out on a street corner somewhere and getting into trouble. I run into these people at stores, just being out and about and we converse and interact. Such is worth more to me then 50 pairs of CL's, Whatever the newest car is or even any dollar value. Others would say Im wasting my time.

I think the ' haves ' and ' have nots ' are more defined in our minds, not by what we have in our pockets :unsure:

I couldn't agree more. And I think if you look around you'd see more people with this mindset than people on the make. Just looking through our local newspaper today I read dozens of reports of smallish groups of people organising things to help each other and make it a nice place to live.

That's strange. I just replied and it went to the beginning of the thread.

Ah, here it is now, where it belongs.

ILK, we say the same, but I am not as direct as you ;-)

Here are some comments to what you wrote.

Inequities? I dunno. I call it more or less ' common sense '. What do I NEED to spend on a pair of shoes? They go on my feet, they get worn.

I think it has more to do with the ' prestige '. Its like a social status symbol.

Inequities lead to certain people having much more money than is required to satisfy the basic needs of a human being...

And to certain people having much less.

The day this happens where I live, Guns will come out. Violence will happen VERY quickly. Its not a good thing for ANYONE.

The ceiling would not be lower than 350 000 € a month anyway.

*I* dont purchase/watch any ' professional ' sports as I think the value of those people is hyper-inflated. Cops, Firemen, Service Members, DOCTORS are all doing more for my community and those around me, yet make only a fraction of what a supposed ' athlete ' makes?

I completely agree with you, but unfortunately it seems their role, as the ones of the music stars, has an impact on a greater number of people. These people need this (or the governments need their work so that people are not thinking too much).

Yet the new ones (reality TV show candidates ) don't earn so much, entertain people as much as gladiators did in the past, thus give a better quality/price ratio...

I believe the whole conversation revolves around ' value ' and ' values ' of every individual. What we gain and what its ' worth ' for us.

A very slippery slope... Unless you only speak about self esteem and the values each indivual supports.

I *AM* Paid. Not by dollars or anything a ' dollar ' could buy. I see these kids smile. I speak with their parents and get to tell them their kids are actually accomplishing something outside of hanging out on a street corner somewhere and getting into trouble. I run into these people at stores, just being out and about and we converse and interact. Such is worth more to me then 50 pairs of CL's, Whatever the newest car is or even any dollar value. Others would say Im wasting my time.

The way you tell this is the best I have ever read. What a great experience you have !

I could use it to explain to some narrow minded people I had never been able to get out of their lust for money.

Edited by Gudulitooo

Others, outside of myself, MIGHT be willing to pay excessive amounts for a pair of footwear.

Myself? The cap is a lot lower.

Heres *my* belief and it should in no way be viewed as anything other then what it basically states..

I see people whom are homeless. I see people whom have lost jobs ( all to many as of late ).

I now see people whom rave and drool over 500-1000$ pairs of shoes and some might even buy them?

Its *their* money, I understand such and they can buy whatever they want. It doesnt mean I will invite them or their ' precious/snobby ' attitudes into my home.

We can all complain about cheap knockoffs and other peoples bad tastes in footware till we run into that person whom has no legs. It makes things ' real ' .

But will you invite a homeless person into your home?

(I do know what you're trying to say BTW! LOL)

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

ILK, we say the same, but I am not as direct as you ;-)

So it would seem! :P

Inequities lead to certain people having much more money than is required to satisfy the basic needs of a human being...

And to certain people having much less.

The ceiling would not be lower than 350 000 € a month anyway.

If someone wants a million Euros a month and they earn it, more power to them. They should NOT, however, feel they are better then someone else because of what they have earned.

I would also apply the same to ' heels '. Because I choose NineWest, Guess or some ' average '/midbrand does NOT mean I need to ' lay down ' to some douche with red soles prancing around like they own the planet.

I completely agree with you, but unfortunately it seems their role, as the ones of the music stars, has an impact on a greater number of people. These people need this (or the governments need their work so that people are not thinking too much).

Yet the new ones (reality TV show candidates ) don't earn so much, entertain people as much as gladiators did in the past, thus give a better quality/price ratio...

Musicians should be happy if they make enough to put food on the table and a roof over their head. They arent ' key members ' of a society. Life goes on without them.

The way you tell this is the best I have ever read. What a great experience you have !

I could use it to explain to some narrow minded people I had never been able to get out of their lust for money.

By all means, use whatever I stated if you want to.

I have no lust for ' money ' or possessions. I like life ' simple ' and unhindered.

Actually, I have an Associate of Darians living with us for a while. ' Live in Nurse ' of sorts.. ' Nanny ' to be a PITA to her ;) .

I have done in the past. I've got children out in the world and I hope if they need it someone will. They're going to be walking around New York shouting 'I Like Kicks', aren't they?

I have done in the past. I've got children out in the world and I hope if they need it someone will. They're going to be walking around New York shouting 'I Like Kicks', aren't they?

How to say this so you can relate..

If your children are ever across the pond, they can stay with me so long as they dont pinch my goods ;) . Is that ' Brit ' enough? :D

How to say this so you can relate..

If your children are ever across the pond, they can stay with me so long as they dont pinch my goods ;) . Is that ' Brit ' enough? :D

They wouldn't half inch any of your clobber ;-) They've been taught to take what's offered in the spirits it's offered, leave alone what's not offered and leave something nice behind, even if only nice memories. Not rocket science, but it works.

Just over a year ago I met somebody who had just about run out of options about where to stay. Ended up in my spare room for a week or two. That break was enough for them to find their way back to some semblance of normality.

Just over a year ago I met somebody who had just about run out of options about where to stay. Ended up in my spare room for a week or two. That break was enough for them to find their way back to some semblance of normality.

It's only been odd nights with me, but why would anyone leave someone out in the open if they had room? OK. I understand why, but I've never had any trouble.