The new board here. Can we be all things to all people?

I personally think this new board is great. But I am a computer person. There's many things I don't know, but I am intimately familiar with linking, seaching, copying, pasting, opening new windows, finding ways around a new interface. When I first came here I found it difficult. Jeff kindly allowed me admin rights so I could transfer some of the old things from the existing forums. But in spite of that I recognise that many people are not happy. As Laurie said, this board is like heels, the more you practice, the better you get, but immediacy is what many require. We don't have the intimacy and the bar-like atmosphere of the old boards, where people can log in and see at a glance what has happened. However, I hope we can combine the two ideas and strengthen our community with it by giving more choice to everyone. I, for one, am not going to desert the other boards that Jenny set up and the people that visit them, but I'll always be here first.

Yes Firefox, after the initial reluctance I get used as well and slowly discover the benefits of this system. I won't abandon the other boards either because I'm too passionated about the subject and want to monitor everything that happens everywhere.

Be youself, enjoy any footwear you like and don't care about what others think about it, it's your life, not theirs. Greetings from Laurence

Hiya My basic computer knowledge I suppose might be categorised as power user, definitely not expert, so things like cutting, pasting, finding ways around a new interface etc which you alluded to Firefox are pretty easy for me. Just I'm not a programmer although I did a programming subject in an Economics/Law degree 19 years ago. Anyhow, like both of you, I'm, you would'nt guess also pretty passionate about the subject. And yep, I still visit Jenny's board, just you'll find me here more often. Inga :smile:

HEELS are POWER the HIGHER the BETTER.

I'm what could be termed as a high-end user. Having been a programmer and designer all the computer side of things come easy. I have had to decipher many interfaces in my time but this forums didn't need deciphering just five minutes of familiarisation and I was away :smile: but then it is apparent that some ducks don't take to water. However you design an interface there will always be some that can't get their heads round it immediately, but that's to be expected. The forum's easy enough to navigate, even the wife can get round it so there's hope for some of the less techie minded people B)

It looked a little intimidating, and I am not the computer expert. Heck, I was going to be a social historian! I learn fast, and I figure if I can be called upon to explain a billing issue to a customer when no one else can, and even after swearing inside I manage to get through it, I can handle this board. So I did just that. Look at me fly now!

You figured it out well Laurie, but on the other hand I bet Social Historians are frantically using the net too, searching and finding their way around to gather new information for their projects.

I hated using the net when I was in school for that. I liked books, lots of them. I think we all know that everyone has an opinion, and on the net, we can see all of them. That isn't always good for writing up a paper, as not everyone knows what he or she is talking about, even if he or she pretends... Books are always a wonderful medium for information. The smell, the feel, the lower cost of the electric bill, and they look wonderful on a shelf when not in use. The computer is the medium for long distance social action, and that is the true value. Information for the masses. Maybe not always specific information, but general attitudes of the world prevail over corporate America trying to sell us everything. :smile: This had no point, I just woke up from a nap (it's Saturday!) to fix a lack of sleep from last night. I'm not yet making sense.

You can thank Steve Jobs (Apple Computers), and later, Bill Gates (Microsoft) for tacking advantage of point, and click idea from Xerox . It has made using the computer much easier. I remember when I was a kid there was a lot to remember for DOS commands to run software programs. Also the computers I used had no built in storage medias (hard drives). So every time you shut down the computer, when started back up, every thing had to be reloaded. Things are so much, much, easier to use today. All you have to do really is have the time to learn, dive right in and at times, call tech support. :smile: As for the books, give it time. There out on computers for some time now, but there is still a lot of issues to solve to make them really practical. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hoverfly on 2002-03-03 01:27 ]</font>

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

Many books also reside online too if you know where to find them because they prefer to sell them rather than give them away. I too remember the days of DOS, and trying to install stuff every time you wanted to use it. At least we've progressed since then!

Back in the good old days of DOS, only us engineering types could navigate such a cryptic operating system. We didn't need IT departments either. I still remember application software running faster on those old 8088 based computers. The high end processors of today get bogged down drawing pictures of everything and loading piggishly written software. My pentium system of today doesn't out-perform my XT from 1985! With that said, I'd still take today over yesterday. The net, for example, has given me the privilege of knowing all or you! :smile: Firefox: This board isn't bad at all. I took to it immediately. It was just different, that's all................................ Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

some of us still play with DOS in its various forms. first computer I got was an Apple ][+, 32k RAM, 16k memory upgrade card and 5.25" floppy disk drive and all that back in '84. Still got an old apple, but a ][e now. Lives in the cupboard upstairs and occasionally comes out for a burst of nostalgia :smile: I also have an Apple Mac II-LS for good measure. Was given that for one purpose, to access an old digital camera that I was given. Strange, the stuff that some people throw away and that some people collect :lol: If you play certain games on PC then you have no choice but to know about MS-DOS, PC-DOS or DR-DOS depending on which school of thought you subscribed to. Mine was whichever I could lay my hands on for nothing :lol:

Well that's modern compared with the first one I had, you had to run a tape with it then place things (word processing and database) into memory and off you went. Mid 80's. You should have seen the bangers that were around when I was at Uni, early 80's and people thought they were amazing. Inga :smile: _________________ Platforms are for standing on, not for walking in. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IHeels on 2002-03-03 11:49 ]</font>

I've been in computers since 1978, when I started as an operator on an ICL mainframe computer. It needed a large room and was all of 72k memory!! Seems incredible now what we had to put up with. It had 4 tape drives, disk drives and a console to run the programs. We also used 80 column punched cards and paper tape. Each program had to be run individually against the clock with the log noting everything we did. I must have liked it though as 24 years later I'm still sitting at a computer screen. Memories.....

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Back to the subject here, All things to All People... Well no we cannot be all things to all people. Why? Because no one is posting! I would feel like I took the underhanded cheating route if I pushed to 200 tonight. So this board is not all things to me, because it is not busy on a Sunday night! Of course, in Europe in is very early in the morning, everyone is sleeping. In Australia, is it almost noon, and people are out at work, or in Western Australia, enjoying a holiday. I suppose I must wait until tomorrow for the fuel to fire up 16 more messages and thus escape the wedges. I cannot take the sneaky way and spam the board. This letter is pushing it as it is! So consdier me as frustrated. Thank you.

You right, good things come progressively anyhow I'm posting and it's 7.25pm in Melbourne, 1.25am Calgary OK you cant post. Sure there be some interesting stuff on the boards tommorow, looks like you'll make it tomorrow. (200 that is?)

Yes, interesting posts, maybe, but this will be 187, so 13 to go! I can do this today, easy! I have the day off! If all goes well, I should have new shoes this afternoon, and that should create some messages. Of course, I am buying courts, not boots, but I'll move into boots once I hit 200. Somewhat strange, how paths go all hobbly wobbly different ways somedays. At least I can get through some laundry!

I didn't use the old board, so I've no idea on how they compare. But I like the way this board works. After finding a couple of handy documents, like how to do BBCode and smilies, and also the search trick to find new stuff, I'm quite happy with it. Personally, this is the first on-line community I've ever felt at home in, and happy to participate in. I email friends and family (doesn't everyone :smile: ?) but this is the first time I've been mixing it in with people I don't know personally - well, with one exception! I don't think anything can be all things to all people, but I'm happy with this board the way it is. So, let's keep it going! Oh, and I'm an IT consultant, with a degree in computer science, and about 9 years experience of several different kinds of computers, so I guess I count as a high-end user. I don't know if that makes any difference!

Obsessed is such a strong word. I prefer to think of myself as "differently enthusiastic"

I think this board is great. I particularly like having every flavour on the same board and the ability to flip through and see if there have been more posts on a subject since my last visit. There are also a great bunch of people, some of whom I'd not met before on the old boards (I only occasionally visited the ladies' board).

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

Oh this place is fun, yes. Sure we have a few disgareements, but maybe it is more like being a family or a club, yes a club, than just a place for posting. We all have a common goal and we get to know one another. It is nice to see people who like being here!

I agree absolutely. There's a real sense of community that I haven't experienced on other boards, and genuine interest in each other. Of course there'll be differences of opinion when the board is open for all comers, but so long as those are contained to the Rant forum... :smile:

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

The rant forum is fun! Yes it is quite exciting to find a sense of community on our message boards. Others, they are full of people making it up as they go, trying to pretend fantasies came true, and generally try to be mean and abusive. We have something more fun end expressive here, and from what I have seen, people talk about their fantasies as fantasies, and I think that makes a difference in how we all perceive one another. That's wicked. And of course, how could this place not be fun, Inga and I are posting here. That makes it worth a visit. :smile:

It's been great to see the opinions of so many out there who have similar ideas when it comes to fashion. I'm impressed by the level of intellectual savvy demonstrated by all of you out there! This group is one heckuva brain trust... Given the level of active brain cells displayed, I have a feeling the chat will go on indefinitely. This board can't be "everything" but it's a powerful medium, and has showed me a world I only suspected of existence. Keep it up folks!

I am tired and I am posting, this is dangerous time! Wow, brain trust. I have decided that we are all insane as well. Why? It seems people with a genius level of intelligence usually go insane. Whether they be scientists who go mad, or artists who maim themselves or even end up depressed enough to take their lives. Now everyone, please, do not harm yourselves or others, and no suicide. But feel free to be a mad scientist and take over the world. My rates as tactical and cultural advisor for such an initiative are reasonable and provide many diverse skills to assist in conquering the world. Everyone needs some help now and then, even the insane people. Oh, and one last thought. This board can be anything and everything we make it. All we require is a dream and a stable internet connection!

Hi, Plat We sortof worked it out on the old board :- Degree of some sort ... > 90% Professional qualification ... about 50% Doctorate ... about 15% University of life ... 100% Laurie, I don't think we are insane. I know we do think, not necesarily in the conventional rut. This, to the stumblebums, is insane. For example, I was talking to the lady who collects the money for the Parish Magazine about the common link between Islam and Christianity, possibly being Joseph of Aramithrea. Nosy next door was earwigging as normal with his jaw dropped. He's never heard me talk like that because I know such thoughts are FAR out of his orbit. <font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: xaphod on 2002-03-09 19:12 ]</font>