Most heard questions/comments when in Stilettos

Anita C.

The old chick is just wondering if you get the same inquiries/input as I do. Here's my list: Questions: 1) HOW do you WALK in those? 2) Don't your feet/back/legs/knees hurt? 3) Where did you get them? Comments: 1) I don't think I could wear shoes like that . 2) I USED to wear shoes like that. 3) They make your feet look so small! What do YOU all get asked?

"Spike Heels . . a Pork-pie hat . .

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

Not a dam thing is asked. Being 6'2" with out heels, with them on I must look to imitating for them to ask. That's all I can figure out. :(

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

People seem ok to approach me & talk about most anything. I always listen when possible BUT some of the things they want to discuss :( M'Lord!

Have on the mend in no time flat . . Ten Minutes 'Till The Savages Come by Manhatten Transfer.

The old chick is just wondering if you get the same inquiries/input as I do.

Here's my list:

Questions:

1) HOW do you WALK in those?

Practice.

2) Don't your feet/back/legs/knees hurt?

No.

3) Where did you get them?

I usually tell them and start a conversation at this point.

Comments:

1) I don't think I could wear shoes like that .

Well don't then.

2) I USED to wear shoes like that.

That must have been nice for you.

3) They make your feet look so small!

They seldom say this to me!

What do YOU all get asked?

Sometimes I get the old "those are women's shoes!" And I tell them they're not 'cos I'm wearing them.

I'm not given to sarcasm or acid put downs unless they start it, if the comment or question arises out of a genuine interest (like the ladies at Camden) then I will talk more friendly and openly.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Okay, some replies, since there are some of those I have been asked. 1) How do you walk in those? I take this leg, move it, take the other, move it, feet one in front of the other, and go forward! That, and practice. 2) Don't your (add body part here) hurt? If they did, I wouldn't wear the shoes! 3) Where did you get them? People send them to me. Comments? 1) I don't think I could wear shoes like that. Ah, come on, I can teach you, it's easy! 2) I used to wear shoes like that That's cool. :( A few other comments generally have to do with how people would injure themselves wearing such shoes, and a general amazement at my sense of balance and ability to do things like stand on one foot or even jump from one foot and land on the same without difficulty. Wide eyed amazement when I show off is something I enjoy, but I have not been able to do that for some time. Pout pout! All of these goddess powers are going to get rusty!

I must say, regarding the "How can you walk in those" comments, I do sometimes despair of the public at large. It's as if none of them have ever seen a high stiletto heel before in their lives! Dammit all, stilettos have been around in huge quantities since the 1950s! Even if we're talking about sheltered folks in quiet, conservative areas, I'm sure they watch television and movies. Countless movies right through from Marilyn Monroe and Sophia Loren to the present day have depicted high heels being worn. It's impossible to miss them. Then why do all these pratts comprising the General Public always speak about encountering high heel wearer as if it's the first time they've seen anything like it in their entire lives? Where on earth have they been? Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

This is a grim thought, but, if we think of Marilyn Monroe, then those who only know her from movie roles and general perception think she might be a blonde woman who was flirty and pretty, and not a rocket scientist. And they may think of her as being married many times, being involved with many men, and taking her own life. But we all know there is more to Marilyn than the general perception of society. However, I think the perception is what makes some women fear stilettos deep down, and they find other ways to express it, as not to offend the person wearing the shoes. Let's face it, there is the all time Mrilyn classic image of her in open toed stiletto slingbacks, standing over the grate with air blowing up her dress, and she has to take care to keep it from rising up past her waist. Maybe some women see this image in a different light, and find it negative. Personally, I think it says "image is power" and "made you look, who's smarter now?" However, perception is the key. It is how we think, how we regard things in our society, and how we treat those things, that truly define our attitudes towards something. It's all about the why. We never ask why. No one ever explains why. Why is the single most impotant question! Why is behind the reason people do things. When you know why someone said or did something, then you can understand everything.

Laurie, my point was not to focus on Marilyn as the one-and-only heelwearer, but in fact, quite the opposite. I was saying that from her generation onwards (i.e. for EXACTLY half-a-century now) millions of pairs of stilettos have been in front of everyone - on the streets in the three boom periods of the 1960s, 1980s and 2000s, and never off the television screen in endless repeats of films featuring heel-wearing filmstars. Why therefore, do so many of you ladies keep reporting that whenever you go out and about in your stilettos, people find the shoes extraordinary enough to repeatedly made these "How can you walk ..." comments as if they've never ever seen anything like it in their entire lives! Anyone would think they've suddenly spotted men from Mars instead of a great shoe style that's been around for fifty years. Why do they make such a big deal (as if both the shoes and the wearer are total freaks). And as for your theory that they don't want to make the wearer feel uncomfortable, I'd have thought that is exactly what they ARE doing! As I say, where have these commentors (mostly women) been for the last fifty years? Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this so far. But doesn't anyone receive a "wolf whistle" when out in public in heels?

I remember in the past when wolf whistles were a common indication of "approval". But today, I never hear anyone mention them.

For those of you who would like to hear what a wolf whistle sounds like, check out http://shop.store.yahoo.com/rodi/wol350.html and click on the speaker button.

click .... click .... click .... The sensual sound of stiletto heels on a hard surface.

I was Wolf Whistled in 2002, it was summer, I decided to walk to work (when I worked in downtown Calgary and lived on the edge of it) while wearing capri pants, a slinky red tank top, and my clear heeled four inch black patent sandals. It was a bike courier. I was a bit thinner then... It happened again a few weeks later, when I decided to wear the same sandals while walking home, and some workers in the alley behind an office building did the same thing. I would assume both were meant for me, since no one else was around at the time. Nothing like a good whistle to get one feeling like she's actually worth looking at. How times have changed, I guess.

I think the "how do you walk in those?" question is supposed to be a conversation opener, the 21st century equivalent of a wolf-whistle- particularly for women :( . I think if Laurie came past me dressed like that I doubt I would be able to resist a wolf-whistle :( .

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I think the "how do you walk in those?" question is supposed to be a conversation opener, the 21st century equivalent of a wolf-whistle- particularly for women :( . I think if Laurie came past me dressed like that I doubt I would be able to resist a wolf-whistle :( .

• 2 months later...

Friday night was my birthday. I was in my fave 5.5" Blue Stiletto pumps with the half metal heels. TWICE that night I heard "Ever hurt someone with those heels?". Someone shot back "HEY! Stand in line-I'M next!". I said "YEAH, He's next . . . it's $25 . . . .do you have change for a $50? Or do you just want me to 'Spike ya twice?". It was so funny at the time . . . :drinking: Ciao! Anita C.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahh, yes! When I began wearing heels in public over three years ago, I got asked those same sort of questions. 1) HOW do you WALK in those? (99.9 percent of the time, it's women who ask me that!) A: "Practice!" Lots of people subscribe to the misconception that only women can walk in high heels, like being of the male persuation prevents one from accomplishing such a task. Hell, I've had women say I walk better in heels than THEY do!!! 2) Don't your feet/back/legs/knees hurt? A: "Nope!" I make damn sure my shoes fit well and are comfortable, otherwise, I don't wear them. It doesn't hurt that I never wear anything over four inches. 3) Where did you get them? A: "All over the place!" Because I wear a women's size 13 wide, I literally have to make like Indiana Jones to find what I seek. I tell them about the Internet and places I manage to find locally. Comments: 1) I don't think I could wear shoes like that . Yeah, I get that a lot from women, especially when I'm in my four inchers. 2) I USED to wear shoes like that. Never heard that comment. At least not yet! 3) They make your feet look so small! HA! Seeing I wear a women's 13 wide, I'll NEVER hear that! :rofl:

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

Jeff, I think you're very lucky you can find any women's shoes in a 13W let along pumps with 4" heels. :D

Not lucky - just well connected. Ton's of Internet sites offering a wide variety of heels in 13W.

I wear 11M/N, myself, and the selection is vast. Only problem is, I don't like a shoe that says "girl," so the ones with the flowers, etc., are out.

- Gene'

As gene said, it's simply a matter of knowing where to look, and the Internet has been extremely helpful to me in my search for the ever elusive size 13 wide pump. :D

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

• 2 weeks later...

People I know are used to my eccentric shoe styles, but strangers often come up and ask some or all of those same questions. To the most usual 'how do you walk?' my reply is 'Walk - I can RUN in them!' - which is true, if I have to! I nearly always wear five and a half inch heels, and often have to be on my feet most of the day. If they are well made, they are as comfortable as lower heels. I too miss the wolf-whistles - political correctness has spoilt so much fun!

Welcome Anne_Louise!

It's great to see another lady who is competent in 5inch+ heels!

:D

We all know that it takes a lot of practice and dedication to walk (and even run) with ease in such high heels.

Maybe you might consider posting about how achieved this, and any other stories, in the "Stories with a heely theme" section, or over on the sister forum here: http://members3.boardhost.com/jennyheels/?982958163

Rob

PS: Where do you buy your 5inch+ heels from?

Hi Anne Louise, Welcome and it's lovely to see another high heeled girl has joined the forum. You may not get as many wolf whistles in these days of political correctness but you are much appreciated and admired by us heel loving guys. Looking forward to hearing from you in the future. Love, Paul.

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I only found this site a few days ago, and already I seem to have posted lots of messages. Everyone sems so friendly and interesting. The secret to wearing high shoes is to work up gradually. In my teens I wore my sister's shoes as she decided to follow fashion and discarded her stilettos. I expect they would have been about 3.5'' to 4'', but I don't remember now. I scoured shoe shops for older stock - there were quite a few privately owned shops in those days and kept a lot of stock in storage. I even bought secondhand if they looked respectable and little-worn. Then the shopping catalogues tended to have some every season for a few years with 4.5'' or 4.75'', and I would stock up each time. Many years ago in a discount store I found some 5'', bought 2 pairs, and was well and truly hooked. Then I saw an edition of Vogue where these unbelievable shoes were featured - that must have been about 1992 I think - and sent for a catalogue. All a bit fetishy, I'm afraid, but addicts overlook such things! They have needle-thin 5.5''+ heels and are almost too beautiful to wear. In fact I almost sent back the first pair as being too impractical, but I persevered, and bought ever increasing numbers. Now my cupboards bulge with shoe boxes. So now, 6'' heels don't seem excessively high. Some of this has I'm afraid already been posted elsewhere, so sorry if I bore you.