Just a view.

Someone asked me in a PM what its like where I lived and the biggest thing to talk about would be whats in the pictures, Niagara Falls. Im a bit of a photography nut and have quite a collection of the Falls. I'll post more pics if anyone wishes or you can PM me an email addy and I will gladly send more your way. -ILK

post-30256-133522977367_thumb.jpg

post-30256-133522977386_thumb.jpg

post-30256-133522977406_thumb.jpg

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Is Roman Catholicism really just a hobby? lol

One with mass appeal, and very habit forming...

Sorry, couldn't resist.

<Visions of nuns in designer robes soaring gracefully into Canada.>

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

ilikekicks, I like your stage look, your outlook on life, and now "lens look". I like waterfalls and have photographed Taquemenon Falls in Michigan's U.P., Takkakaw Falls in B.C., Angel Falls in Venezuela, and, most recently Iguazu Falls when my wife and I were in Brazil in 2010. You captured Niagara's majesty by your nighttime shots, was it with 1600 speed film? Thanks again for posting them!! HappyinHeels

ilikekicks, I like your stage look, your outlook on life, and now "lens look". I like waterfalls and have photographed Taquemenon Falls in Michigan's U.P., Takkakaw Falls in B.C., Angel Falls in Venezuela, and, most recently Iguazu Falls when my wife and I were in Brazil in 2010. You captured Niagara's majesty by your nighttime shots, was it with 1600 speed film? Thanks again for posting them!! HappyinHeels

ilikekicks, I agree with everything Happyinheels says. We have a waterfall where I live, which we're proud enough of (apparently) to call it Old Roar. A stream two foot wide falls about 30 feet. I imagine we have a different idea from you of what constitutes a roar. And I guess majesty is all relative. :wavey: (Have you seen Richard Harris play English Bob in Clint Eastwood's film Unforgiven?)

Believe it or not, those are all digital pics shot in RAW mode. Its an older Canon 10D body with an L-series lens/optics and an adapter that converts the lens from SLR to DSLR applications.

I shoot mostly night time scenes with long exposures.

I do have a lot of daytime pics though :wavey: . These were taken a few years ago, all daytime from both the American and Canadian sides. I think the view from the American side by the main ' horseshoe ' is better because theres more area CLOSER to the falls themselves to get into with a Camera. The Canadian side tends to be back a bit further. To the Canadians advantage though, the full view of the Smaller set of falls on the American side can be seen in its full effect where it cant be from the American side.

I need to get ahold of a barrel.. :)

post-30256-133522977821_thumb.jpg

post-30256-133522977834_thumb.jpg

post-30256-133522977844_thumb.jpg

post-30256-133522977854_thumb.jpg

post-30256-133522977864_thumb.jpg

ilikekicks, I agree with everything Happyinheels says. We have a waterfall where I live, which we're proud enough of (apparently) to call it Old Roar. A stream two foot wide falls about 30 feet. I imagine we have a different idea from you of what constitutes a roar.

Waterfalls are great, regardless of size or grander. One of Natures greatest displays.

And I guess majesty is all relative. :wavey: (Have you seen Richard Harris play English Bob in Clint Eastwood's film Unforgiven?)

I'm not much of a movie buff and havent seen that one. I might have to look for it.

Waterfalls are great, regardless of size or grander. One of Natures greatest displays.

I'm not much of a movie buff and havent seen that one. I might have to look for it.

Oh yes! I used to take my class on a field trip to see ours. It was about a three mile walk from the school, observing the stages of a river on the way up. They were always impressed by the waterfall.

Your pictures are stunning, and really capture the power of it. I live by the sea, so I'm used to the power of water in bulk, but still, I wish I'd seen your falls for real all those years ago.

English Bob goading Americans on the attempted assassination of a president (I don't know which one it's meant to be) and why you couldn't assassinate a monarch: "Were one to stand before royalty, with assassination in mind, their sheer majesty would cause one's hand to tremble. But, I mean, a president! Why not shoot a president?" (The views expressed here are not necessarily my own.)

Is that a bridge under construction in the second photo?

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Shafted : Actually, its an observation deck. If you walk out to the edge, your over the gorge and you can look directly at the Horseshoe from about a mile away. At the base of the tower is a pathway that leads to the tunnels/airways that are a cave system that goes behind the falls. They are naturally inspired but mankind built a wooden/galvanized walkway through them. They loan out ' wetgear ' or raincoats because you will be absolutely SOAKED going through there. In both sets of pics, the first photo is the same spot ( actually, very close to it, someone erased my chalk marks :wavey: ) only one is day the other is night. I usually make a point to visit the same areas in different light settings so I can compare the pictures later. One of the oddest things about the whole area.. If your a quarter mile away, and walking towards the falls themselves, you can actually feel the temperature drop off 10-15 degrees. Its a great place to go at the end of summer after all the tourists are gone to just take a walk and cool off. The mist travels quite a ways back up the Niagara river and down through the Quarry and sometimes onto lake Ontario on some nights. I used to belong to a ' car club ' and we would meet up all over the place. One year, 50 of us from All over the US met up here and I had to be ' Tour Guide '. It took me 3 days to show what I could and try and explain the history behind it. Up the road from the Falls is ' Old Fort Niagara ' where the Revolutionary war was fought. I was diving there 2 years ago and theres many old ships that were sunk from canon fire on Lake Ontario not to far from shore and under 100 feet down. I have to use a lot of weight to go that deep and didnt have enough with me to go down and take any pics. :) . I plan to do so next week ( if Im not called into the studio ). I do have some pics of the Fort itself and some from when they do their re-enactments. I'll have to try and find them on my file server when I clean it out. Meganwish : I dunno where that Bob dude came from. Is he like.. part of a waterfall or something?

No, sorry, you've just been a victim of my grasshopper mind. Majesty, that's the key word. The film. Sorry. I think I warned Shafted (so he could take evasive action). It was unfair of me not to warn you. You've no idea how hard it is for me to keep on topic.

One of the oddest things about the whole area.. If your a quarter mile away, and walking towards the falls themselves, you can actually feel the temperature drop off 10-15 degrees.

Yes, mother natures air conditioner, evaporational cooling. I have actually rigged up an air conditioning system that runs off solar power and is very energy efficient which uses the same principle. It requires no more energy to run than an electric fan.

I too love waterfalls and have hiked well off the beaten path here in Maine to visit them. Here is a couple of falls in Maine that I like.

The first is Moxie Falls which is a 90 foot drop of Moxie stream which are fed by Lake Moxie (Yes, the infamous soda is named after this area, and celebrated every year in Lisbon, Maine with Moxie Day). Good swimming in the basin below the falls.

The second is Cold Stream Falls Which is well off the beaten path in timber country. Great swimming hole (swimsuits optional). Maybe a 20 foot drop, but there is a ledge right at the base of the falls where you can sit and lets the water beat down on you and message your entire body. The water here is quite cold, as the name suggest, but is quite nice once you get used to it.

Oh, and the last picture is the infamous beverage.

post-1854-13352297788_thumb.jpg

post-1854-133522977885_thumb.jpg

post-1854-133522977889_thumb.jpg

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

One of those fragile flowers, then, that thrives in the sun on the balmy south coast. Your ancestors obviously didn't come over with William the Conqueror. BTW, what a beautiful day it is today. Almost sandal weather. You should blossom well, and are not so likely to get your feet wet.

'Come, and trip it as ye go

On the light fantastic toe.'

John Milton

It is indeed beautiful. I'm stuck indoors working, but I think I might give it up and go out. I think the sea might be all blue and glimmering today. I'm not really a sandals girl. My circulation means my feet look purple, so I like to keep them hidden.

No, sorry, you've just been a victim of my grasshopper mind. Majesty, that's the key word. The film. Sorry. I think I warned Shafted (so he could take evasive action). It was unfair of me not to warn you. You've no idea how hard it is for me to keep on topic.

I think it's to do with multi tasking, everything goes into a form of overload and things get dropped off (the subject).

Same happens here but far less tasks :)

Al

No waterfalls in my bit of Hampshire just have to make do with what runs of gutters and drainpipes:silly:.

Not seen anything as wide and impressive as Niagara. One day we'll get there.

Seen some trickles starting high up that would give concussion if you stood beneath it. Many in Wales, Cornwall, France and Switzerland.

Some impressive but with more junk strewn around than the council dump!

On private land, advertised and charges levied! :wavey: could be so much more.

Al

I think it's to do with multi tasking, everything goes into a form of overload and things get dropped off (the subject).

Same happens here but far less tasks :wavey:

Al

For me, multi tasking means starting a hundred things and finishing none. I need multi people to help refocus me from time to time.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree, because of the glass tint giving the sky a different contrast throw all the normal references that say this is a mirrored effect. The curvature initially I thought may be down to incorrect lens profile in photoshop whilst doing a merge/panorama. Very cleaver and an awesome result. Al