Pavements

Steffie

Does anyone else think that our pavements are deteriorating as badly as our roads? In the last couple of weeks I must have damaged the heels of four pairs of shoes by getting my heel in a gap or hole in the pavememnt. Not only is this getting expensive but there is also the embarrassment of losing a shoe as well. :wavey:

Yes, our pavements are terrible. But worse, they are mostly slick with... Well I don't like to mention it. And that could be solved with someone with a broom and a shovel. Would go a way to solving the recession too.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

They seem to be mostly ok in my home city but most of the centre has had new pavement recently including a large section of cobble type pavement but that's another problem. Also the villiage where we live has had most pavements re-tarmaced so I guess I must be lucky.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes, I've to go into town later, but it seems the buses are running, so I won't have to walk down any hills. I'm ver careful not to fall over as I cracked a rib a few years ago and I'm very scared of doing it again. Thank you for your concern. How about you?

I was wearing cowboy boots. They were rubbish on the ice and I fell against the kerb. The only way to stop it hurting was not to breathe, but for the six weeks it took that proved unfeasible. Are you in heels today? Take care on the way home.

• 3 months later...

I think that's probably to do with all the rain we had over the winter. Rain combined with frost results in "frost action" This happens when water seeps into small cracks in the road or pavement. It freezes and expands creating great pressure. The pressure causes the crack to widen and allows water to seep deeper into the surface after which the process is repeated until the fissure is large enough to permit a heel tip.

I think that's probably to do with all the rain we had over the winter. Rain combined with frost results in "frost action"

This happens when water seeps into small cracks in the road or pavement. It freezes and expands creating great pressure. The pressure causes the crack to widen and allows water to seep deeper into the surface after which the process is repeated until the fissure is large enough to permit a heel tip.

sounds like a sensible explanation, and councils have no money so they don't repair them. :-(