High Heels Can Change Shape of Feet

Maverick

The host said it best, sneakers in between. I have been wearing 4+ heels for 25 years, but never more than 20 or so hours a week, no foot problems, no calf muscle probems. Wearng heel 24-7 will damage your feet, but guess what going bare froot 24-7 will tear you up as well. Keep going back and forth every day and you just won't have too many issues, and wear the correct size.

By the way, forgot to add that my aunt who never ever wore high heels has most of the same problems mentioned in the video...all bs i think. Probably not too good wear them 24/7 though, but just wearing them occasionally shouldn't do more problems than flats.

Don't worry, be happy - in heels! :rocker:

Life, along with whatever shoes you wear, changes the shape of your feet. Next time you're out count the girls you see in ballet pumps or uggs (or cheaper equivalents) who are pigeon toed or who's ankles are turning in. If you are aware of yourself and look after yourself you'll be ok. It's not shoes that damage feet, it's how and when they're worn. (Oh dear, now I sound like the NRA, or maybe NHA more like.) Seriously, though, I know drivers whose big toe won't touch the ground any more because of using the pedal. Life shapes us.

Hi guys just saw this post and thought i would say what that video shows is faily true ,as a person who has worn high heels and fashion shoes most my adult life my feet changed shape ,included is a picture i took just to show , altho i do know other woman who have worn heels and never had a foot problem . Sharon.

post-2981-133522977656_thumb.jpg

shaz

Life, along with whatever shoes you wear, changes the shape of your feet. Next time you're out count the girls you see in ballet pumps or uggs (or cheaper equivalents) who are pigeon toed or who's ankles are turning in. If you are aware of yourself and look after yourself you'll be ok. It's not shoes that damage feet, it's how and when they're worn. (Oh dear, now I sound like the NRA, or maybe NHA more like.) Seriously, though, I know drivers whose big toe won't touch the ground any more because of using the pedal. Life shapes us.

This is such an excellent observation. Those doctors who complain that high heels are harmful fail to emphasize that a badly or cheaply made shoe with an incorrect fit is very bad for you, high heels or not.

I've always taken very good care of my feet. A trait instilled in me by my mother, also a long term and passionate heel wearer. I only ever wear well made and well fitting leather shoes. I wear round and almond toed shoes except for the rare Pointy shoe occasion. My Doctor tells me that my tendons have become shorter from years of heel wearing but apart from that, I would consider my feet to be healthy and in good shape.

I have to jump in here... That so-called doctor repeated a myth that just won't die - that heels are bad for you in almost every way. This is wrong. It's a generalization of the same kind that prejudice and similar are built on - manipulative and false. These are the facts: 1) Feet are different. Some can wear nothing but UGGs or whatever sensible shoes and still get bunions, hammer toes and so on. Others can wear heels all the time and you cannot pick their feet out of a lineup if your life depended on it. 2) It's not the height, nor the shape of the toe box or how thick the heels are that matter, it's how you wear them. Badly fitting shoes will damage your feet over time, heels or not. Too small or too big are equally bad. 3) The overall best height is in the 2-3 inch area. Not flats. It gives a better posture and less strain on the back. Your feet might be less than optimal but your back will thank you. 4) Change is good. Don't wear the same shoes all the time. Don't wear the same height of heels all the time. Change everything all the time. There were more but these were the most important ones. The source was an article I read in a printed copy of the Journal of the AMA perhaps 20-25 years ago.

If we were all the same then your "facts" might apply.

With regard to the source of your article, In my opinion I don't think it's a good idea to believe everything you read.

I have to jump in here... That so-called doctor repeated a myth that just won't die - that heels are bad for you in almost every way. This is wrong. It's a generalization of the same kind that prejudice and similar are built on - manipulative and false.

These are the facts:

1) Feet are different. Some can wear nothing but UGGs or whatever sensible shoes and still get bunions, hammer toes and so on. Others can wear heels all the time and you cannot pick their feet out of a lineup if your life depended on it.

2) It's not the height, nor the shape of the toe box or how thick the heels are that matter, it's how you wear them. Badly fitting shoes will damage your feet over time, heels or not. Too small or too big are equally bad.

3) The overall best height is in the 2-3 inch area. Not flats. It gives a better posture and less strain on the back. Your feet might be less than optimal but your back will thank you.

4) Change is good. Don't wear the same shoes all the time. Don't wear the same height of heels all the time. Change everything all the time.

There were more but these were the most important ones. The source was an article I read in a printed copy of the Journal of the AMA perhaps 20-25 years ago.

"Some can wear nothing but UGGs or whatever sensible shoes and still get bunions, hammer toes and so on. "

Oh, Uggs are terrible. They were designed to be an indoor slipper and made fashionable by movie stars wearing them on cold film sets between takes. (Slightly off theme, apologies, but I've heard of people being rescued off snowy Scottish mountains wearing Uggs. I mean, who'd go mountaineering in their slippers?) But they're so destructive to people's ankles when worn on hard surfaces. There was a Brazilian football (sorry, Colonial friends, soccer) player who had bent legs. They both bent the same way. Sorry, can't remember his name, I think it had something to do with birds. Maybe a football loving chap or chapess can supply the name. Anyway, certainly in the UK, there seem to be a lot of girls who have legs that both bend inwards, shuffling around in Uggs. I pains me to see it. They're only in their teens. What will become of them. A good heel won't do that to you.

(Sorry. I seem to have done something wrong with the quoting. Hope you can see the sense.)

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to be that elephant in the room... But tell us something new, "newpeople". Same ol' thing they've told us since....last year, actually. This topic just loves to pop up every year as if it were a groundhog waiting to place judgement on future weather conditions. Then again, without this topic to poke its head in to remind us, I think many of us Would, in fact, forget what it's like to be flat-footed every once in a while.

Formally "HHDude"