About to buy my first pair but sizes?

GaryS

I'm in the uk and take a mans size 8 shoe, what should I be looking for in a woman's high heel? I'm buying over the net so can't try on - don't have the nerve to (last time was fifteen years ago)

Don't take this as an answer, but I thought the UK did not have 2 differing sizes. I wear a US mens 9 and it translates rather well to UK 8-9. Honestly not sure why there ever was two size standards. Really no reason for it when you think about it.

I wear a UK size 8 as well and find that sizes vary between suppliers, not by much but enough to be uncomfortable. The European size 42 fits me the best and most shops now show both UK and EU sizes. Hope this helps and good luck.

It can be variable. The first difference is whether the sizes are UK or USA (since USA sizing is quite common). Then the key factor is the height of the heel. The higher the heel, the more likely you will need a larger size. The need for some extra width of the shoe to fit a man's foot also comes into play, and might push the size up. So a low heel woman's shoe is quite close to the men's size. A 5inch heel adds 1-2 sizes. Some brands (such as the normal Pleaser shoes - not their few 'wide' shoes) effectively need to move another size to make it wide enough. My experience (adapting to men size eight has found good shoe fitting ranges from women's 8W through 9W or even 9WW and up to US 11M for Pleaser. It is certainly worth getting some different sizes over time because in that first flush of excitement of getting the shoes, any slight mis-fit is ignored and it is only after a while that the discomfort gets noticed. Once you find a good fitting and comfortable pair of shoes, it is really such a pleasure to wear them. Don't discount the pleasure of wearing good leather shoes with cushioned soles etc. My experience is that it takes a bit of trial and error to get the sizing right, so don't get discouraged by a few mistakes. I find that once I have found the right sizing for a particular brand, then I can stick with that brand with some confidence.

I am a size 8 and have found 'New Look' shoes are very true to size against a male size 8. They aren't expensive and you can buy on line so should be no problem.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

All over the map for me; I find often I wear the same size in mens that I do in womens (11M to 11M). Although that varies depending on style, designer, and heel height. Some size 12's in Nine West for example are way to large, some just right, and I've even gotten size 10 wedges from them that fit me fine. I'd check out Marion's link; Euro/US sizes are puzzling.

A Man's Shoe Obsession: A blog of a man who loves high heels and women's shoes. http://amaninheels.tumblr.com/

First of all, the US mens to UK womens shoe sizing game is one that is pratically impossible to judge on, but the UK mens to UK womens isn't that hard. The good thing about mens and womens shoe sizing in the UK is they're pretty much the same, maybe half a size to a size different for both sexes! Personally for me, I found that if they supply european sizes, that can be a lot more helpfull. In mens shoes im anything from a UK 11-12, a european 45-46 and/or a US mens 13. When buying heels, you have to look for if they're "made for men" or not. My jeffrey campbell wedges were actually made for mens feet, therefor the US 13 fit me perfectly. I generally go for shoes that are european 46, womens UK 12-13 in boots but 12 in pumps. Honestly I find a lot of it is personal experience. My first pair of heels were from Nitelife and they were red pumps, I got them in a UK 12 / Euro 45, and they fit fine, but the toes were a little tight and being wide-footed, after a while the streched of the sides led to my heel slipping out the back! You're a UK mens 8. So if I were you i'd buy a womens 8. Or a european 42-43. I say it's always better to go up a size (depending on the style), as you can put heel grips in them!

What Other People Think Of Me, Ain't None Of My Buisness ~ RuPaul

Hi Gary Apart from some manufactured narrow our UK 8 is either a 41 or 42 euro some may be tight some may be perfect/loose it really does vary but you wont be too far wrong, with knowledge of whose fit you, it will get better as you explore. Welcome too HHP Al

You should buy your normal size, although they do vary abit depending on where you get them from. I have mostly size 7 (my normal size) but also a afew pairs of size 6 and 8. If you find a pair you like maybe you could post here and other people who have brought from the same place could advise what the best size to buy would be.

Indeed. The only difference between ladies' sizes and men's sizes in the UK is width. Women tend to have narrower feet. I take a men's 9 but find that some 8s fit ok but most are too small. If you take a men's 8 then you should be able to get into a ladies' 8 unless you have a wide foot or the shoe is particularly narrow.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

aaah the thrill of buying tou're first shoes. I remember it well :wavey: Well was only about a year ago hehe Sizing can be very akward I think, maby it's better to look for a webshop with good return policy

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

I wear a size 7.5 and find that ladies size 8 usually fits me well, although they can vary a bit depending on where you're buying from. A lot of shops are doing 9s as well now so the world should be your oyster. I'm a fan of New Look too, their shoes fit well and are quite cheap but decent enough quality. They often have some really high ones too. A lot of online stores have a good returns policy, so you can order an 8 and if they don't fit simply send them back. It's also worth remembering that boots are often a slightly more generous fit to allow for socks.