Cost of ' living '.

I saw a post a while back from a member in South Africa. To buy a 30-40$ pair of footware, it would cost 100$ with shipping and ' import tax '. I know Canada has such taxes as I took some items to a friend about 5 miles from me in Ontario and they absolutely HAMMERED me at the boarder. I was just wondering what some items cost in your countries. Heres some from mine ( where I live ) in USD prices. Milk : 3.00$ a gallon ( 3.8liters ) Gasoline/Petro : $4.00/US gallon Eggs : $2.00/dozen ( 12 ) Loaf of bread : $1.80 2liter bottle of Pepsi : ( varies due to sales ) from 1$-2$ Coffee : 2lbs 1oz ( 935g ) 9$ ( varies from 6-12$ depending on brand ).

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Very interesting post. May I suggest what I consider a very important factor: income, so we can compare how much does it cost in terms of human work and effort to get some things.

Now, as for Mexico, basic income is calculated on a daily basis of 60.66 pesos average (4.76usd) for entry level 1 workers. Most office workers (accountants, administrators, etc. with an university title) make between 3640 and 7279 pesos monthly (286-572 usd). A manager makes some 857-1150 usd monthly (that's roughly 4.77usd/hour!)

Costs of living (in US dollars)

Milk (1 litre) 0.94

Gasoline (1 litre) 0.82

Eggs (dozen) 1.57

Bread loaf 1.96

Pepsi (2lt) 1.41

Coffee (2lbs) from 4.32 and (a big bunch) up. Some 8.64 avg for a good coffee.

I'm not too sure about the average income cause where i saw the data there isnt showing whether its net income or not. However i think its around ~$500 usd Also had to look up the prices as i dont use many of those. I add 2 more, i think the fastfood restaurant exist everywhere in the world now:

Big Mac around $3.5 also movie tickets are ~$7

Milk : 3.00$ a gallon ( 3.8liters )

Around $0.9-1.1 / liter

Gasoline/Petro : $4.00/US gallon

Around $2 / liter usd

Eggs : $2.00/dozen ( 12 )

~$2.4 / dozen

Loaf of bread : $1.80

depends on the bread type but say ~$1.2

2liter bottle of Pepsi : ( varies due to sales ) from 1$-2$

~$1.75

Coffee : 2lbs 1oz ( 935g ) 9$ ( varies from 6-12$ depending on brand ).

~$8

The hell, yeah those 300+ eur boots i seen here somewhere are too expensive for me, sadly :wavey:

Don't worry, be happy - in heels! :rocker:

American costs of living sound relatively cheap compared to the cost of living here in Aus, i'm not sure if income makes up for it or not, but here's the average prices here.. Milk : $1.00 per litre Gasoline/Petrol : $1.50 per litre Eggs : $4.50/dozen ( 12 ) Loaf of bread : $3.00 2liter bottle of Pepsi : $3.00 Coffee : $6.00 per 100grams

OK... Here in the UK you can get 2ltrs of milk for £1.00 if you know where to shop. In ASDA it's about £1.20 for 4pints making it about 2.40 a gallon, comparable to the US price I think. We paid £1.37 per litre for Petrol only this afternoon. That is roughly £6.23 per imperial gallon, about £4.50 a US gallon. which equates to about $6.00. The upside is that here in the UK distances are shorter, the next town will only be a few miles and not 70 or 80 like in the US. Therefore we tend to spend less on fuel overall. Eggs cost us between 10p and 30p each. You can get 9 in the pound shops for a quid or half a dozen in our local butcher for 90p. ASDA (part of the Walmart group) do them for £1.50 for 15 which equates to £1.20 per dozen or about $1.80. They'll be brown eggs too... We pay anything from £1.20 to £3.00 per loaf normally. you can get it cheaper but Kev and I really like our bread and tend to pay a bit more. You can get bread for 90p a loaf but it will be the cheap stuff. This equates to around $1.30 ish? 2 litres of pepsi can be had for a pound or in some stores like Lidl even less. This is $1.50 or so... We pay £4 or so for a very large jar of coffee, 300g I think. This is about $6.00.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I think it would be interesting as an add on to this post to ask what part of your paycheck you "donate" to the government. Here in the US we have federal income tax, state income tax (not in Texas, Florida, and maybe elsewhere), sales tax, real estate tax, school tax, etc. Speaking personally, I contribute about 20% to 25% of what I make to one government entity or another. I know compared to other countries, it is not that high. But times they are a changin'. Before too long, $4 a gallon gas here may be considered the good old days.

I was trying to keep all the ' political ' stuff out of this folks. Leave taxation and hourly wages and stuff out of the discussion and just see what people pay for their goods. The reason I started the thread was a few fold : There is a member here from South Africa whom mentioned how expensive things were there. There have also been a couple posts from others that had VERY cheap prices for some of the things they bought. I decided to take up an idea of ' common ' goods we all tend to use quite often and just see what prices were like around the globe. Im sure the discussion could turn into something about taxes raising prices and prices are cheaper in countries with no wage standards or however we want to go with it, but I would respectfully request we just leave it at ' what does it cost ' and very ' bland ' as to why it does :wavey:

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

A very interesting thread. Comparing items in the shopping basket to ilikekicks prices in the US., they're very similar to what we pay in South Africa. The only big difference is with the price of fuel, we pay around $5.50 a gallon. I've ordered shoes from the US & with postage you can add $30-40 & import tax about another $20-30. But it's still cheaper than buying the same shoe from a local retailer.

... We paid £1.37 per litre for Petrol only this afternoon. That is roughly £6.23 per imperial gallon, about £4.50 a US gallon. which equates to about $6.00. ...

I don't think so, Doc; both your US conversion rates seem to be wrong.

I agree that £1.37/litre = £6.23/imperial gallon, but the US liquid gallon = 3.79 litres, so the equivalent is £5.19/US gallon, or (at £1.00 = $1.58 ) $8.20.

I hope that makes our ex-colonial friends even more sympathetic to our plight here - maybe some lend-lease would be appropriate?

Holy crap, Deisel here is £1.47 a litre...

Yes, which is equivalent to $8.80/US gallon. It's not much cheaper round my way: £1.42 - 1.45 and increasing almost daily :wavey:. I must get some used chip fat organised if my diesel car is to stay mobile :).

Two years ago, because of the cost of fuel, I gave up driving in favour of walking. Now, I wonder what the petrol/shoe leather exchange rate is. (Actually, I suspect driving is harder on shoes than walking.) Anyway, people on Jobseeker's Allowance here in the UK get sixty something quid a week, which the letter tells you is 'what the government says you need to live on.' Not including rent or council tax, but including fuel, clothing and laundry. I don't claim it myself, because I can earn that much without too much trouble, and without having to jump through hoops. In fairness, they're not far wrong, but you need to shop cannily, and not expect luxury. Because my income varies, council tax regularly comes and bites me on the behind. Sorry, not meaning to get political (or whiny).

OK...

We pay anything from £1.20 to £3.00 per loaf normally. you can get it cheaper but Kev and I really like our bread and tend to pay a bit more.

Judging from your avatar, you don't really like it very often...

UpBy5