US to EU sizing query.

astrid

Firstly, not sure if this is correct section of the forum to ask this, so apologies mods if it is not. I am off to NY soon and would like to purchase a new pair of boots for myself. *Hoping to grab an end of season bargain*. I take a 41 or 41.5 in EU sizes (ladies) and am looking online for a US conversion for these sizes. I am finding conflicting information online and am hoping some of the members from the US can clear this up for me. I am not one for trying boots on in shops, not brave enough here in Ireland let alone in a city like NY! I will take them back to my hotel, try them on there and bring them back if I need to change them.

Sizing can be a bit akward. Haven't tried shoes on myself in NewYork but ye should just try and do it. A town were you can walk around as the naked cowboy will be fine with a guy in heels. Plus the thrill of buying in a shop is greaaaaaat. Was there 1 1/2 year ago great place will definately go there again if possible.

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

It all depends. Often, vendors will just change the 1 for a 4 so therefore a US11 will be a 41. However, I take a EU43 but this pans out as a US12. Why don't you try them on in the shop? I mean I know it's a big deal for some people but they don't know you and they'll never see you again.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Be a man and do like him!

I have seen different conversions everywhere on the net...whichever is the real i guess depends on the actual manufacturer.

Don't worry, be happy - in heels! :rocker:

A note from the other side of the pond..... I'm usually a US13 which I find is usually about an EU44. If you take Dr. Shoe's figures and manufacturers conversion it looks like maybe they are off by one. So maybe the thing to do is to add or subtract 31 when converting: EU = US + 31, US = EU - 31. So an EU41 would convert to US10. Are we onto something here? Need more real experience feedback from people with different sizes. On trying them on in the store, I too have never done that. But if / when I do, NYC would be my #1 choice on where to do it. I have been there many times. Everyone there has seen and heard everything. They're used to it. It's one of the few places in the US where people are least likely to care what you're doing and just accept it if they even notice. You may want to think more about seizing the opportunity.

It all depends. Often, vendors will just change the 1 for a 4 so therefore a US11 will be a 41. However, I take a EU43 but this pans out as a US12.

Why don't you try them on in the shop? I mean I know it's a big deal for some people but they don't know you and they'll never see you again.

BINGO! :wavey:

Theres differences between name brands ontop of what Ms. Show here mentions.

I own several pairs of shoes marked US 10 and Euro 41 on them. I also have shoes martked US 11 which state Euro 41 on them. I have a pair of Brenda Zarro metal stilettos marked Euro 42, yet they fit as a US 10 would. Theres no REAL set standard IMO.

Try them on. Its NY, nobody will care.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

You know that conversion thing really does not mean a terrible lot when the size to begin with is so ambiguous. There is a certain pair of what looks to be ladies boots which is to say 3.5 inch heel good looking and fit me incredibly well and clearly marked size 8.5 now normally that is too small for me even in mens size. Most women's 11 fit well and some 10. But most 43 fit me and rarly a 42 or 44. Some shoemakers are known to run large and some run small and one brand has a reputation for being all over the place so there is no simple formula like take the number then double it subtract 10% then add 32. That does not work with shoe sizes.

astrid, If you are about to go to New York City you could also think of it as a trip to " New YOU City" as it brings out the creative vibe in people. This city of 8,250,000 (proper) and 18.8 million (metro) thrives on the multitude of choices and cultures that millions of immigrants and visitors have brought there over the years. This will be reflected in what you see on the street. A man, dressed as a man and wearing heels WILL NOT attract the attention you think it will in NYC. The enormity of the city and the hustle-bustle of daily life swallows up what one person may think someone will say to him. Here's my advice when going; try on any heels you like for the reasons set forth above and keep your head high. Always look like you know where you're going and look all that meet in the eye and you'll be amazed at the results. NYC is a very confident, even narcissistic place, which respects individuality and confidence. It used to be one of the rudest places in the USA but much of that changed on September 11. They're still in a hurry but you'll find lots of nice souls in NYC. Have a great time and welcome to the United States! HappyinHeels

Wow a trip to NY ! I'd love to go heel shopping & heeling in New York. Maybe one day. I use a size 41, which are always snug on me. Boots in european 41 are good, but shoes often a bit tight (especially Zara and Aldo). My experience in the US is that US womens 10 are definetly too small for me and I always need to go for US womens 11. Even some of these can be too small for me.

I would add it depends on the shoe width. Most of EU sizes do not take width into account. Wide width seems to have appeared only recently here in France (1 or 2 years ago). I believe my size is EU42.5 but I own several shoes from EU42 to EU43. My UK size is definitely UK9 wide (most shoes I own are from UK brands). My US size seem to be US12 or should in fact be US11 wide. US12 is often a bit narrow and a bit too long at the same time, and US11 wide I have never found yet. Not sure but hope that helps...

Looks like trying them on won't come into play! Had a look in a few stores for something special, eg Saks and the same boots are more expensive than Dublin, London or any other city I have shopped in so far.

I'm curious about 2 things, would a 11.5US fit me (i'm 43 eur) also the shoe has "E" width my foot is around 11cm wide (roughly 4.5in). The other thing is if i see conversion table different on the store's page than on other sites, should i use the store one or say wikipedia or other conversion charts? (on the other hand many site says different sizes for 27cm long foot - indeed its hard to shop for shoes without trying them on :/ I can't move to NY to go on shopping spree :wavey:)

Don't worry, be happy - in heels! :rocker:

I'm curious about 2 things, would a 11.5US fit me (i'm 43 eur) also the shoe has "E" width my foot is around 11cm wide (roughly 4.5in).

(on the other hand many site says different sizes for 27cm long foot - indeed its hard to shop for shoes without trying them on

Somehow I find that 43 suites me just great but 11 can be too big to too small. Most of the time 11aaa or 43 is good for me.

• 5 months later...

Just the other day I spent about a half hour composing a post regarding unisex shoes and posted it in a subjest related to Euro sizing and it never showed in the subject. Anyway I have been thinking about unisex shoes but even if the Euro sizing is more consistant and not delebratly two numbers different still Men's shoes thend to run wide. Then as I have mentioned that my shoes come from the ladies side for width wich equals comfort and fit. So this may just be another sticky wicket to the idea of unisex shoes. Possibly if a maker of shoes really wanted to make the same style for him and her there would need to be wide and narrow.