Musings of the Future

I've thought about this a lot recently because I truely beleive that in a rather short time frame, historically speaking men wearing high heels will again be a serious and recognized fashion off the runway. My reasons for saying this are based both on my gut feeling and the current technological environment. Since my gut feelings are of little consequence there's little need to explore further. So consider the following: As I'm sure some of the members here can attest to as can I, men have been wearing high heels in public for quite some time, pre-internet in fact. Back in 2005 this site had maybe a couple of thousand members now we're headed for 18,000. In addition this site is visited by a huge number of guests. There are always anywhere from 5 to 10 times as many guests as members perusing the forums. I suspect among these many people some are wearing high heels in public already spurned on by just reading of our experiences. Others may be fashion researchers or media. Who knows? I truely believe that if it weren't for HHPlace you would never had seen high heels for men hit the runway. The timing was just too perfect. The other thing which has happened is our internet missionaries following in the footsteps of Kneehighs. They/we have been going out on the internet and getting the word out and jumping into discussions about men wearing high heels outside of this forum. My thanks to you and keep up the good work. Also my thanks to Kneehighs for getting this moss covered boulder rolling. It's still got quite a bit of moss on it but I can see patchy bare places and it's still rolling. In recent time public forums about men wearing high heels have become much more relaxed and respectful (Sodahead and Hubpages are good examples). The trash talk posters are going away. Then there's the remarkable ease which myself and others have discovered as well of taking those first high heeled steps into the world. The truth as I discovered it, we were just being silly holding ourselves back from wearing them in public. Hello NYTimes Sunday article, The bottom line..........The world does know we are here. Okay now what happens at the end of the day when we all realize that what we all desired has happened and men wearing high heels are again a serious and recognized fashion off the runway. How will it impact our beloved HHPlace? Seems the boards topics might see a huge gear change. I would love to hear everyones take on this. Thank you.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Shafted, I think one of two things would happen based on your premise; #1 we would have lots more pictures with details of footwear worn, or #2, wearing heels would be so commonplace as to cease to be worth having this site. It also seems mens heels have taken a back-burner in this seasons fashion shows, but may rally in the new June menswear shows.

totter along into history

I'm not sure how many are aware of this but yesterday the server was locked out for a few minutes due to heavy traffic.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

While I would like to see fashionable shoes and dresses and skirts become more common and equality of the sexes a place like this will never become extinct it will just change in its focus. Then also there some traditions that will change little. We probably never will see Pery Mason coming before the bench in stilettos but possibly designer jeans and two inch heel western boots.

. We probably never will see Pery Mason coming before the bench in stilettos but possibly designer jeans and two inch heel western boots.

Isn't there a mildly well known attorney from New Mexico or Colorado that already displays these attributes? I remember watching someone pontifically waxing an opinion on a news worthy criminal case on television afew months ago. Even wore the big cowboy hat and fringed western style jacket.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

"""We probably never will see Pery Mason coming before the bench in stilettos but possibly designer jeans and two inch heel western boots. """ Now that is something I would expect to be normal, but then again, maybe it's just me. I've spent 40 some years wearing boots like that, and never really considered them to be high heels. If I wasn't in work boots, I was in western boots. Even worked in them depending on the job. I will say that about twenty years ago, I worked in a major corporation in an engineering department 'cubicle farm'. Saw the same 60 people, and rarely anyone else. Always had on Justin, or Acme 2" underslung western boots with 11" to 13" shaft under dress corduroy's. Had the department head tell me that wasn't appropriate corporate attire - - - Oh well. My response was something in the order of ""We all see the same 60 people in this no window Dilbert dungeon every day - - what's the point."" I already knew my stint at this place was coming to an end - -glad to leave.

Which server? You mean this website?

Yes.

Yes.

Thats not an indication of how busy "this website" is at all, I set the software up to reject any further usage if the server its hosted on is busy earning money to pay for this place :wavey:

So if the other sites on this server are making money, this place goes to the back of the queue so to speak....

It will only ever do that though if this server is REALLY getting hammered, thus its rare that it happens.

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

Thanks Tech. Good to know. Absolutely the proper priority.

While I would like to see fashionable shoes and dresses and skirts become more common and equality of the sexes a place like this will never become extinct it will just change in its focus. Then also there some traditions that will change little. We probably never will see Pery Mason coming before the bench in stilettos but possibly designer jeans and two inch heel western boots.

I think Raymond Burr died a few years back, (12 September 93 actually).

Al

I think Raymond Burr died a few years back, (12 September 93 actually).

Al

Perry Mason reruns are still very popular on our cable TV service. Ones is just about to start and I'm "fixen" to watch it.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Okay now what happens at the end of the day when we all realize that what we all desired has happened and men wearing high heels are again a serious and recognized fashion off the runway. How will it impact our beloved HHPlace? Seems the boards topics might see a huge gear change. Quoting Shafted.

Getting back to Shafted's original question, I believe there would be more discussion and sharing of ideas, opinions, and even pictures concerning high heels. Based on discussion now as more and more members come forward sharing their experiences with high heels, I think the website would even draw more members. Time will tell.

As this subject is about musings about the future and as in #9 the system is busy earning money. Then for the future I would like to see those stupid advertisements get replaced with ads for something that does interest me or even something that I could use. Somehow the thing that gets me is how I keep finding advertisements for stuff that I had just looked at and ruled out. Maybe some day interactive smart advertisements.

As this subject is about musings about the future and as in #9 the system is busy earning money. Then for the future I would like to see those stupid advertisements get replaced with ads for something that does interest me or even something that I could use. Somehow the thing that gets me is how I keep finding advertisements for stuff that I had just looked at and ruled out. Maybe some day interactive smart advertisements.

Until websites have mind-reading software, thats never going to happen.

All we can ever know is what you have "Already done" not "What your about to do".

Heels for Men // Legwear Fashion // HHPlace Guidelines

If something doesn't look right, please report the content ASAP!

Until websites have mind-reading software, thats never going to happen.

All we can ever know is what you have "Already done" not "What your about to do".

When they start reading our minds - - oh sh!T

You mean like the ads for tutus Mike. I chuckle whenever that one comes up. But hey if they are helping pay for this site, bring em on. Just remember Mike every time you click or not click on an ad you are quite possibly changing what ads you will see. Click on an ad if you want to keep them around, don't click if you'd just as soon see it disappear. Nobody wants to pay for an ad that isn't getting hits. Likewise the ones that are getting hits might want to pay for more time and may look to expand their onsite ads.

Well some of that I had not given much thought. As for the ads for clunky mens low heels I do not click on. Others that are touting stuff that I have just ruled out I do not use either. There was a time that I did explore one that turned out to not have my size. While I did read the thing about not having mind reading technology somehow they do appear to read my mind enough to be touting a great deal of stuff that I did recently look at and pass on. Anyway I do look at the advertisements that come up just to see if I need that or to see how dumb it is.

Hi All

Sorry for being so quiet for so long, i've been stupidly busy trying to do too much stuff for too long. Got a bit of spare time here and there now.

So in reply to Shafted's musing

I too have been noticing that there a huge amount 'bubbling under'.

Outside the big towns and cities in the uk it seems most women in the cooler months are wearing flat/low heeled boots, very few (in percentage terms) are wearing mid to high heeled boots.

So here's the question

Seeing as most men wearing high heels don't wear them in public and nearly all women won't be closet heelers, does than mean that in these areas just as many men are wearing heels as women?

I reckon there is a good possibility.

So here's the next thing, and probably the crunch, becoming fashionable or not being uncommon to see men in heels on a daily basis. I can see this happening in 1 of 2 ways or both at a similar time. 1) Men wearing heels in a typicaly manly way so joe average (and joanna average) thinks it's damn cool to wear a certain kinds of heels. or 2) Men who who just have had enough of not going out in whats generally considered female fashion, get very brave all at once and just go out wearing what they like anyway. My opinion is that 2 is unlikely to happen without 1 happening (at least to a small degree) first. So before i go any further what do you all think?

• 1 month later...

It's always interesting to try to forecast the future especially when it's not the weather which is a favoite pasttime of mine. Women wearing tattoos, pants, men's tennis shoes, and baseball caps has all come to pass since 1980. Men wearing earrings, black nail polish, women's skinny jeans, and complete body waxing has all come to pass since 2000. One way I imagine me could really light the fire of fashion change is by being seen with their girlfriends or spouses wearing heels or other articles as well. We all recognize that chances are very small that someone would say something negative if alone and it is even fairly unlikely if they are not alone. I believe the experience of men wearing heels in public will grow exponentially IF women are seen with these men. Even one woman in her heels walking with her husband/boyfriend in his heels in any large city will be seen by thousands of people per hour and those people will talk about when they get home. The next day the scene repeats itself in NYC, Chicago, Sydney, Johannesburg, London, Tokyo, Rio de Janeiro, and Buenos Aires. The fashions you see are largely a result of what someone photographed on the street six months to a year ago.Sure, men venturing out on theor own will help change things but not nearly as fast as when the change is blessed by women. I have said before that the world only embraces certain things. People worldwide are drawn to those who are confident or make them laugh or just give them some reason to enjoy a particular moment a little longer. Imagine being that person who can walk proudly, speak convincingly, make others laugh and wonder and do all this not knowing who will approve or disapprove of how they look. Their sheer confidence is what others will remember. It is the driver of any meaningful change in any era. HappyinHeels

After seeing what the couples are wearing to high school prom's and at school in general, I feel like I'm living in a fashion desert. I don't see any real fashion statements other than jeans and tee shirts with sneaker style shoes. The adults are even worse. I am not a fashionista by any measure, and frankly can't stand the typical dress shirt and tie with a jacket look. Ties remind me of nooses around my neck, and just remind me of the typical corporate concept of 'proper dress'. I rarely ever see a woman dressed in anything like a nice skirt and heels anymore. Rarely see anything other than pants and flats. I do believe it's the general area where I live, but as I see it, there really isn't a lot of people around me that have any concept or interest in fashion at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Happy in heels

Good point.

Going out in heels with a girl by your side can often change the 'he's a bit of a wierdo' thought to a 'am i missing something here' or 'oh so he's not odd, just an out of the box thinker' from onlookers minds especially if the girl/woman is well dressed too.

Having 4 sisters-in-law i've had a good few candid honest thoughts about my heeled boots and outfit that goes with it, getting the whole look right is essential they say.

In my determination to go out in heels (with the family more often than not) i often have the 'THIS IS ME, SO LIKE IT OR LUMP IT' mindset coupled with 'IF MY WIFE AND I THINK THIS LOOK GOOD THEN SO WILL OTHERS', other thoughts don't often get their way in. :online2long:

Although, going out heeled by myself, i haven't had any more negative reactions than when i'm with my wife.

Heelster

Yup its like that around here

However a visit to london. . . .

Perhaps if more of us as heel wearing men went out with more of a 'look', with a girl/women by our side perhaps it may lead by example?

I do feel though with so much going on behind closed doors, there is a tidal wave bubbling under.

Wrong analagy probably.

Ultimately i reckon that if every man who owned heels wore them out for 1 day at the weekend (by themselves or with someone), for a month or 2 - the ball would be rolling for GOOD :rocker:

Oh dear enthusiasum out of control again.

Edited by antha

• 3 weeks later...
I can relate to the "reactions" when someone or someones sees me wearing high heels when I am with my female friend in public. We seldom get comments out loud, but we get a lot of smiles. Many times I have been temped to say to them, in a friendly way, "...a penny for your thoughts?" I get almost excited when I'm asked in public, "...why do you wear high heels?" It leads to engaging conversation.

Shafted: Had some interesting conversations, or rather got preached at by some parents within the local school system over the weekend. They are pushing for a much stricter dress code as they feel this is one source of the supposedly deviant behavior that is accuring once the kids grow up a bit more. This is also a set of parents that seem to align themselve to a few radical southern baptist ministers that would love to find ways to eliminate anything that is beyond some very strict traditional thought patterns for lack of a better way of stating it. When the discussion came back around to the dress code, I brought up the question "what's the difference between what the girls and guys should wear - - - Boy did I get an ear full. What it boiled down too as it relates to men wearing heels was that they basically would be asked not to step foot on school grounds as it would be a sexually deviant act - - Like being a predator. These folks are not going to be happy if I decide to run for a recently vacated school board position.

It's the ones who don't show any deviant behavior that people have to worry about. These are the truly dangerous predators. The ones who suppress others, themselves need to be suppressed.

Heels tar, I'm positive that the fact that you wear high heels will be pounced upon by any and all of your opponents as a point why people in your community shouldn't vote for you. " What, are you kidding?," they'll shout, "vote for an admitted social deviant to help guide our children"?

Heels tar, I'm positive that the fact that you wear high heels will be pounced upon by any and all of your opponents as a point why people in your community shouldn't vote for you. " What, are you kidding?," they'll shout, "vote for an admitted social deviant to help guide our children"?

You got that right. Hence the reason I do not wear heels locally. Too many issues to deal with. This would be just one of the finer examples.

You got that right. Hence the reason I do not wear heels locally. Too many issues to deal with. This would be just one of the finer examples.

I have considered local Office myself. After taking a big/huge look at the situation, I realized its a ship that cannot be brought back from its list-ing and needs to sink. Im far to Fiscally Conservative for the area in which I live.

If someone has to worry about what an Adult wears on their feet or makes some statement about it, it speaks to the mentality of those making such a comment.

As for CHILDREN whom attend public schools.. there SHOULD be a ' dress code ' of sorts. Undergarments should NOT be publicly displayed. Political statements shouldnt be on T-Shirts. Proper footware and socks SHOULD be worn ( not Flip-Flops! ). School is about education, first and foremost, its not a runway for fashion shows.

Kids need to realize if they fall into a habit of being ' presentable ', it will help them in the future and people will look upon them as having some form of self dignity ( which is always a selling point when hiring for a job ).

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

• 3 weeks later...

Which almost brings us back full circle, If people generally dressed better, i'd think moderate hight heels on men would be far more easily accepted. But compared to trainers or supposedly fashionable work boots, sports wear and blue jeans etc it's far too much of a leap for most to handle. If most youngsters were wearing cowboy boots most of the time, i doubt a moderate cuban heel wouldn't be an issue.