My new boots (for winter '03)

I went into town this weekend in order to buy myself a new pair of boots for the winter (something to keep me warm and dry over the next few colder months. Something I can wear for work every day). Thought I would share with you what I bought. They are from a private small shop importing leather shoes from Turkey. Before anyone asks, they are more 5 inchers (I find the heel position (ie. further towards the front of the foot), gives me much more control, comfort and balance - I have bever tried shoes/boots with the heel in this position before:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

and finally....

Posted Image

Well, that heel position as depicted (i.e. set-in from the back of the foot) was the normal average position for years and years. Certainly all the stiletto heels in the original boom of the late 1950s/early 1960s were invariably like that for full freedom of stride and ease of movement. The "Set-back heel" (i.e. with the back of the heel-tip in a line vertically downwards from the back of the foot) started coming-in on some styles in the high heel boom of around 1980, and many of the heels in the current 2000 boom are also set-back. In fact, some of the recent block heels were flared outwards at their base to extend well back behind the actual boot. My wife and I have always rather disliked set-back heels, both because they are much more awkward and ungainly to walk in and also because they look ugly and awkward. I am delighted to see your boots with a return to the good old set-in heel. Maybe at last sanity is returning to shoe design! Congratulations on a good purchase! Cheefully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

I can only agree, underslung heels are by far the best to walk in(far better than a flat shoe for me). Its best I think if the heel strikes under the ankle. I have also found the hour glass heels snap like rotten sticks. The old louis or cowboy heels are best, if you can find them.

Interesting because none of my current colelction have the heels inverted as they are on these new boots. It really makes the balancing so much easier.

If you just sketch the geometry on paper, you can see how the straight down or set back heel acts as a slightly higher heel when actually walking since the heels will strike the ground earlier.

Obviously no different when merely standing.

The traditional or cut-away stiletto has the further merit of being flattering making the foot look a little smaller although perhaps making the heel itself slightly understated. I like the effect rather less on small heels.

Oh yes, really like them btw, High Surprise; especially the smooth line they have. Have you double checked height with a tape measure?

/I

/I

Hiya High Surprise Lovely boots, I wouldn't mind a pair myself! They certainly do look like they will be very warm in the winter. They do look like they could be a little slippery as well which would make winter walking interesting! Are the soles smooth? Jay

"If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything..." - Dr Emmet L Brown - 1985

Hi all, Thanks for your comments. Yes - they are a little slippery (no grip etc). The heel height is 5 inches - yes. The boots are size 38 so maybe the picture doesn't really show you the heel height (i can take a pic with a tape measure if you all want....) They were bought in a shopping mal in Milton Keyenes from a private shop (can't remember their name but they are the only non chain in the Milton Keyenes mall). I am wearing them right now in my office and feeling on top of the world with them. As someone said, yes they are nice and warm. Thanks for your nice comments.

Ok ok ok......

I've been caught out here. You guys are simply too good. I got the measurements wrong, I'm sorry. (I don't make a habit of measuring all my new purchases).

Took a picture for you with a ruler. Here are the results. Very impressive you were all right. Little me was wrong! oops.

Posted Image

>> I've been caught out here. You guys are simply too good. I got the measurements wrong, <<

After a while, you'll get to the point where you can usually just tell the rough height from the angle of the foot.

In fact, I can even tell you someones shoe size from across the other side of the room. That nearly got me into deep trouble, one time, when I commented on someones size 5 feet, and she looked at me, and asked how I knew they were size 5. Well, they looked to be size 5, I said; and they were. I thought it best to not make any further comment on the fact that I really liked the 4.75 inch heels that she was wearing at the time, otherwise that might have really given the game away.