Shortened stride

Sangue16

Hello all,

I was wondering, how do you deal with the shortened stride while wearing high heels? I have noticed that all of my heels, some to a greater degree than others, shorten my stride. In general, the higher the heel (minus the platform) the shorter my stride.

I adjust to the particular form of the shoe and learn to adjust my walk to lengthen my stride closer to my natural stride. When I know I need to walk more quickly, I pick a heel that is more natural for me to walk in--not necessarily lower. I noticed that the flexibility of the heel has a lot to do with how natural I feel walking in them. So I go with a more flexible heel, or a more flexible heel that is also lower. This is for the days that I have to walk a lot between buildings and will both be in a rush and others behind me will be in a rush. Don't you hate being passed when you're wearing heels? I make it a point to avoid it, but also avoid that jerky "chicken walk" some have.

Peeptoe heels are my passion... and flexibility: www.Flexines.net

This is a really good thing to think about and something that I have not given a lot of thought to and as I see it goes along with fashion freedom for all. As for that chicken walk I will need to give that some consideration also. Somehow the idea of a chicken walk brings up an instant O ya that. But still I will need to observe it some. Now one of my favorite pair is my 9 west because they are knee high and zip up so they do not fall off like when I go out in 4 inch pumps. This is something that I had planned to look for in the postings that is the tenancy to just step out of the little darlings. So I guess that I limit my stride to keep from stepping out while the high top boots will not get stepped out from and I can safely get up to a slow run. Now just a few days ago I got a pair of red square toe pumps with about the highest heel that I ever tried to walk with and that takes a lot of trying to manage maybe I should wear them past a mirror and look for chickens. Another thing that I have noticed is that some of my skirts tend to limit my stride and those I am careful to only wear for certain occasions where my normal stride will be within that range. So if you will be doing a lot of walking and keeping up hows about high top boots.

In flats I tend to rush around and get drawn in to the hectic stressful pace of life in a big city. I really like that heels slow me down - there's a real buzz in feeling elegant and graceful that puts me in a more uplifted and positive state of mind. Even the slower rhythm of the sound of my footsteps reduces anxiety and is more calming (but still exciting). So I guess I deal with it by loving it! Maybe the thickness of the heel has something to do with it too, stilettos needing more care not to sink into a gap in the pavement, whereas that's less of a worry with slightly chunkier heels or wedges so my stride tends to be less shortened with those. I don't mind at all being passed when I'm wearing heels. One thing I have noticed wearing heels is how many couples I see where the guy just walks at his own pace oblivious to his girlfriend struggling to keep up in her heels.

If you like it, wear it.

I personally haven't noticed any shortening of my stride in heels under 5 inches. At 5 inches begin to notice the shortening of stride. In 6 inchers only baby steps.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I think that the classic way of dealing with stride reduction is to increase pace. That's pretty much it.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

For me, thicker heels or wedges help me maintain my normal stride, while thinner heels that would normally flex as I put my weight on them would require shorter steps or an entry into the ministry of silly walks to stop me breaking a heel. Of course lower heels would also permit a longer stride but where's the fun in that? Chris

I personally haven't noticed any shortening of my stride in heels under 5 inches. At 5 inches begin to notice the shortening of stride. In 6 inchers only baby steps.

Add wearing a pencil or hobble skirt with your 6" heels and notice how much shorter your strde gets.

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

Isn't it about enjoyment and not about speed ?

I have never cared about how shortened my stride becomes when wearing a pair of my heels.

These two statements say it all. The more you walk and run errands in high heels, the more confident your "stride" becomes. And you don't need to worry or will even notice the length of your stride.