Got discovered wearing trouser socks

hh_pe

Yikes what an untrustworthy secretary. Good that you and the mrs are still good with each other. Good luck with the situation.

In the process of becoming the person I always was...but didn't dare to let her come out

Well, the last two weeks were pure hell. Turns out the secretary told one of the female partners about my heel wearing. That partner then spread it to the other partners. So not only is the work beginning to pick up, I now have to deal with all the other partners wanting to buy me out because of my "lack of professionalism" and "introducing a lifestyle that isn't representative of the companies core values". If I could, I would fire all of them and build up a new staff, but I can't. I don't have the funds to buy enough of them out to gain complete control of the company, and I do need some of them around to keep the clients happy. The really sad thing is my wife is really depressed right now because she thinks it is all her fault. We've had many sleepless nights talking about what we would have done differently, how will we go forward, etc. Regardless of the path forward, I have told my wife it isn't her fault. I reminded her she was supportative in the past, and there is no reason she shouldn't be supportative going forward. If I was really worried about the others finding out, I wouldn't have done it.

I guess the only good news out of all of this is I don't think the other partners can gather enough cash to buy me out, and if they were able, I would take several of the large accounts with me, so that would almost destroy the firm. I think they know that too. I wonder what this week will bring.

Remember that old saying, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going." It certainly seems to apply to your situation. Now is the time to impose your will on others. If the others have chosen to be difficult that is their choice not yours. Now you need to show them that there are repercussions for their actions as well.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Remember that old saying, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going."

Shafted,

I thought the old saying was, "When the going gets tough, the tough go shoe shopping!"

:wavey:

Um...I could be wrong.

hh_pe:

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Maybe you need to communicate to your partners the plain and simple truth, and have a frank discussion on how to patch up the differences. Remind them that it's only clothing. Also, trouser socks (thin opaque socks) are sold for men, too, if that helps.

http://www.glieberman.com/categories/Knee-High-Socks/Opaque/

Good luck.

Steve

I would be curious whether it really bothers them or they just wanted this excuse to remove you?

I think that they are just looking for an excuse to remove him because no one would get so upset over something so trivial. It does not harm them, so why would they be so upset?

Jamie :)

Fashion Freedom for Men!!

hh_pe, I am very curious to know what type of business you are a partner in. If this a law firm then I have a HUGE problem with the crap you are getting from other firm partners. Law firms frequently find themselves defending those at the center of some type of persecution. Perhaps this is why so many in the legal profession are Jewish, a sort of guarantee that there would be people to stand up against any future discrimination which is in keeping with 'NEVER AGAIN." As one whose mother's oldest brother was incinerated at Treblinka I am glad there are people standing up for the oppressed or cast away from society. This is why I am really concerned what "company core values" are represented here. Are they bigotry, cowardice, and ignorance? If a firm, be it a legal firm or some other business, hopes to thrive in the business world whilst hiding this type of myopic agenda then the potential list of clients are also free to reject that type of company. You should be judged only by the your ability to make money for that firm which is a direct result of the scope of the accounts you have coming through the front door. Period. It's about making money for the firm and NOT about your trouser socks or other such nonsense. These other folks need to get a clue and you should put it all on the line. Would this same company react the same way if one of the partners came out as a lesbian and was seen dressing in an "overtly masculine manner"? I think not lest they incur the wrath of a myriad of advocacy groups. You should become your own best advocate. There simply is no place, in 2012, for this type of discrimination to exist, and thrive, under the guise of "company core values". I hope this gives you some idea of the weight of your situation and that it should be confronted at any cost. They can deal with you now or deal with you later as the publicity on the company turns very negative. Please give it some thought, your dignity as a human being is at stake and that's something we should ALL vigorously defend. God Bless You at this time. HappyinHeels

... "lack of professionalism" and "introducing a lifestyle that isn't representative of the companies core values"....

Presumably it wouldn't be a lack of professionalism if a woman wore what you did, so the only so-called "core values" that spring to mind are prejudice and discrimination.

If you like it, wear it.

What a terrible situation over something so trivial. I don't know what business you are in, but I don't see how what you wore could make a rat's-ass bit of difference to anybody. Sounds like there is more there with your business partners than what meets the eye. Regardless, I wish you a lot of luck and hope it works out for you.

If the shoe fits-buy it!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

So here we are, about four weeks since I last posted anything about what is going on in my office. First I want to say Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Now to give some back ground information which should answer some questions. The firm I worked at is an engineering firm that helps local cities augment their staffing needs. The firm was started by three of us, myself, Mike and Tom. For the record I am not using their real names. Tom was the brains of the group at the beginning. He was older than Mike and I by about 15 years, and had started a few companies before. Mike was a guy Tom knew from a previous job. I got to know Tom when I was a construction manager at a small shopping development. So the three of us pooled our money together and started off building the firm. Now Tom did not have the most healthy life. He loved his beer and smokes. After a few years of being in business together, I realized there was going to be a day when Tom would leave us. That day came, and Mike and I had to settle Toms share of the company with his wife. Since I knew this was going to happen, I had started saving any bit of money I could to buy more shares of the company. Mike and I would discuss this situation many times, but when it was time to pony up, he didn't have the resources to even purchase a quarter of Tom's shares. By this point, we had added a few more partners to the firm. I was lucky enough I had the means to purchase the majority of Tom's shares from his wife. The remaining shares were purchased by other partners. From that day forward, Mike always had a chip on his shoulder about the percentages of ownership in the firm.

So with that history we now get to what's been going on in the office. I stated earlier I didn't think the rest of the partners could gather enough money to buy me out. Well, I was wrong. It appears Mike finally learned his lesson and started saving. He and two other partners came up with the cash to buy me out. I also found out the female partner, I'll call her Tina, was fine with my heel wearing. I'm still not sure who told whom what. The secretary unfortunately left the firm. The only information I received was an email saying "Sorry". My wife stopped thinking it was her fault. She never really like Mike, and this move by him has her blood boiling. We've had many sleepless nights talking about should we take the buyout offer, and ultimately concluded taking the offer is the best thing for us right now. We don't have the resources to purchase the shares of the other partners in an attempt to maintain a majority ownership in the firm. Also, why would I want to do that when Mike and the other two are making the place a hostile environment.

So what's the silver lining in all of this? I would say the most important thing is our marriage is stronger now than before. The payout has allowed us to pay off the majority of our debt and have enough to live off of for about 10 months. Also, I'm having too much fun taking the kids to school every day. I know I will have to get back into the corporate world again soon, but just really enjoying the "now". So without getting too philosophical, I'm going to just end this post with that.

We appreciate being brought up to date on your situation. I agree with Henri that you took the best path. Now you have some breathing room to re-invent your life and continue to strengthen your relationships with family. Take the time to enjoy some family life now! Steve

I'm glad things are working out, and it's great that you have such a supportive wife. Even though the business end took a dive, you appear to be well on your way to muchbetter things. Best of luck to you and the family.

• 7 months later...

It's been a while since I visited this site. I know this post is an old one, but I felt the need to update you, or anyone reading it, where things stand today. I've found a job with a large public agency in the LA area. It's a bit different being on the other side of the table as they say. I'm not in any management position, have lower pay than when I ran my own company, but the hours are steady and the people I work with appear to be a good group. I've only been here for three months now. The wife and I were very close to leaving the LA area and move somewhere, anywhere, but things started to turn around. I got this job, and the company and I came to an understanding. For a while there, I wasn't wearing heels at all. Now I've gotten back into wearing a few things, and with Christmas approaching, the wife has told me she has an outfit in mind for me. She even asked me to start shaving my legs again. It takes getting "knocked down" to truly appreciate how lucky I am to have her in my life. Given what occured at my company, I will not wear anything that might be questionable at the agency, ....at least for now. May everyone have a wonder Christmas this year. HH

Hey, welcome back. Good to see you posting again. Do what you need to do to feel comfortable and keep your job secure. And do what you want on your own time, with your wife's support. Mainly, have fun and don't get hurt! Post more often! Steve

Hello HH_PE, I just got to catch up on this thread this afternoon. Man, my heart broke as I read about your previous partners reactions. I am very glad to hear that your life is moving forward. As far as your old partners are concerned - good riddens to bad rubbish. Best, AZShoeNut

Life is short...  Wear the bleeping shoes!

Good to have you back. You have a great wife, and with her support everything will turn out fine and probably even better than before. Best of luck to both of you.

It's been a while since I visited this site. I know this post is an old one, but I felt the need to update you, or anyone reading it, where things stand today. I've found a job with a large public agency in the LA area. It's a bit different being on the other side of the table as they say. I'm not in any management position, have lower pay than when I ran my own company, but the hours are steady and the people I work with appear to be a good group. I've only been here for three months now. The wife and I were very close to leaving the LA area and move somewhere, anywhere, but things started to turn around. I got this job, and the company and I came to an understanding. For a while there, I wasn't wearing heels at all. Now I've gotten back into wearing a few things, and with Christmas approaching, the wife has told me she has an outfit in mind for me. She even asked me to start shaving my legs again. It takes getting "knocked down" to truly appreciate how lucky I am to have her in my life. Given what occured at my company, I will not wear anything that might be questionable at the agency, ....at least for now.

May everyone have a wonder Christmas this year.

HH

Good to hear your back at it, and the home front sounds safe and secure. Good luck and keep us informed.

• 2 weeks later...

With Christmas next week, our section had a "white elephant" game after lunch today. The gifts had to be "clean" in nature given it was done at work and there was a $20 limit. I figured since no one would know who brought what in, I wrapped three pairs of trouser socks (black, gray and brown). The first person to pick the gift was a guy and he didn't have it for long. The gift was immediately taken by the woman who's turn was next. A few turns later the socks were swiped by an other woman. Both women wear some very nice heels to work everyday. I didn't think they would be that popular.

With Christmas next week, our section had a "white elephant" game after lunch today. The gifts had to be "clean" in nature given it was done at work and there was a $20 limit. I figured since no one would know who brought what in, I wrapped three pairs of trouser socks (black, gray and brown). The first person to pick the gift was a guy and he didn't have it for long. The gift was immediately taken by the woman who's turn was next. A few turns later the socks were swiped by an other woman. Both women wear some very nice heels to work everyday. I didn't think they would be that popular.

So what did you get?