adding spikes to heels

weird1

i cannot believe i did not think of this before.

check out this how to video. very cool!

i'll be doing this soon, but probably not drill them on i will use high strength epoxy

thanks

Larry

• 2 weeks later...

Sticking them on with epoxy in not a good idea. At best the only bond to the surface will be only on the surface which can be quite weak because there is no strength needed to hold the shoe skin together. The structural strength is in the layers under the surface. So even if there was a spike that would glue on it would most likely come off at the slightest bump and take a piece of the surface with it.

Yes that's right. I would go as far to say that the spike could easily get pulled off leaving an ugly patch of raw suede behind, you should at least find a way to secure them from inside the shoe. I think that using an electric drill is a bit too much though when an awl will do the job more cleanly.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

thanks mike and Dr. Shoe i kind of thought of that but i am concerned with the screw heads irritating my feet, how could i cover the heads and not make the shoe any smaller inside? i don't know if the heads will pull into the fabric enough to not be an issue. i definitely would not use a big drill like the one in the video. an awl seems like a great choice. thanks Larry

Well it is kinda sorda like this. The screws that come with the spikes are of the variety called flat head which is to say that the top of the screw is flat and when used properly will sink in flat to the surface that it is used on. The holding surface is on that 37 degree angle. Now possibly the supplied screws will be slotted and it could be that Allen flat head will be a bit better without the ends of the slots bother with anything. Anyway the proper screw heads should not be a problem.

• 1 month later...

I would use a mole skin to conceal the screw heads. If that isn't available you could also try using band aids to cover them. I would suggest the padded bit being glued over the screws individually. Depending on how you distribute the spikes over the heel the tertiary (word of the day FTW!) option is to just put one of those heel grips over them. The heel grip I used (for a separate project) had a bit of a lip to help hold the heel into the shoe and to prevent chafing. Hope this helps.