Tonights lesson : "I totally forget!"

Not a ' high heel ' story, but a ' story ' none the less. Some of you *might* have done this yourself. If so, get a laugh out of it as I did :smile:

I have an event coming that deals with family, a wedding, and I needed a pair of oxfords or ' regular ' shoes for it. Off to the mall I go with the better half in tow.

We went to JC Pennies and started looking. This isnt really a ' formal ' wedding, just shirts and pants, dress ' well ' or ' Nice ' but no coat or tie is needed.

I was looking at this pair of oxfords..

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=1435f9f&DeptID=70732&CatID=71802&SO=0&Ne=8+3+14+1031+5+18+904+833+949&NOffset=0&shopperType=G&N=4294953483&Nao=0&PSO=0&bcCat=3&CmCatId=70732|71802

.. and asked the sales lady ' Do you have these in Size 10? '. She went and found a pair.

It didnt Dawn on either of us until I pulled one of the shoes out of the box and the sales lady stated ' I think those will be quite a few sizes too big for you '.

OMG! I totally forgot!

So, I now know I wear a mens size 7.5-8 in US sizes and those same shoes in the male sizes were so wide.. Boats!

The woman at the store then had an epiphany ' I can see why you know your size in womens shoes. They probably fit you better. '

She returned with these...

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=185fe53&DeptID=70731&CatID=81532&SO=0&Ne=8+3+14+4294957900+23+1031+5+840+1037+18+904+833+949&NOffset=2&shopperType=G&N=4294933772&Nao=0&PSO=0&bcCat=3&cmAMS_T=XGN3&cmAMS_C=MERCHA&cmAMS_Z=XGN3TOPOFRESULTS&CmCatId=70731|81532

.. and they fit rather well and are very comfortable!

We had a conversation seeing as it was pretty close to their closing time and the store was empty. With the cat out of the bag ( and my not really caring who knows what I wear.. ) I decided to ask just how many men have purchased womens shoes thats shes had to assist or ring out at the register.

' Many, more now then ever ' as it would seem were her words. I told her I was into heels myself and dont own any ' mens ' shoes and thus why I gave her the wrong size to begin with. She looked at Darian and she ( Darian ) just shrugged her shoulders in a ' What else is new? ' kind of way.

The Sales lady says she sees a LOT of men checking out heels but due to store policy, they arent supposed to do anything more then say ' can I help you ' as to not ' scare off ' the customers. This does sometimes cause them to say ' Just looking ' and they bolt/leave in a rather rapid fashion.

Many guys have actually manned up and made purchases. ' They are for my wife '.. in a size 11 or 12? C'mon guys, really? The sales people already know and for the most part, they dont care, a sale is a sale and gets them paid.

I was told, if we are honest, some of the sales people might know of other shoes in larger sizes they have in their stock that they might offer to show us if it were for us.

I did get her business card and thanked her for her help. Spoke to her manager/supervisor that was present and gave praises for her assistance.

Theres now 3 stores in that mall I know of that ANY man can walk into and just start buying whatever they have and nobody would care less. I do have a vibe/feeling that the trends of gender identification in clothing is rapidly changing.

-Ilk.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

I hope so - - I've have had great experiences purchasing at JC Penney's. The sales people are always positive, and helpful. Kudo's to JC Penney's I will say that depending on the traffic through the shoe department, I may be a bit discrete, and try them on kinda out of the way, but if it's quiet, I'll leave on a pair while I look at others. DSW is my next favorite store for similar reason.

I am surprised at your choice of shoes for a wedding, ilikekicks. Those heavy-looking lace-ups with a moulded sole look to me more suited to street-wear in bad weather, or around a worksite - they are certainly not 'dress' shoes and, to my mind, do not go well with a suit (or even a co-ordinated blazer/trousers or similar). But, each to his own ... :smile:

A second point is the use of the description 'Oxfords'. In the UK, an Oxford shoe has a plain rounded toecap and laces - the traditional (if uninspiring) male shoe for business wear and very formal occasions. I think you may call that style a 'Balmoral' in the US. But I am aware that, in the US, 'Oxford' can be used also to describe other types of formal shoe, e.g. the heavier styles without a toecap (which in the UK are usually called a Gibson or a Derby).

All very confusing - even with the benefit of this Wiki entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxford_shoe

I can see that we must be careful with our descriptions; a picture always helps.

I am surprised at your choice of shoes for a wedding, ilikekicks. Those heavy-looking lace-ups with a moulded sole look to me more suited to street-wear in bad weather, or around a worksite - they are certainly not 'dress' shoes and, to my mind, do not go well with a suit (or even a co-ordinated blazer/trousers or similar). But, each to his own ... :smile:

Its a ' casual ' event. Basically, no sneakers and t-shirts, but no coat and ties/hats are required. Dont look like a bum, but you dont have to be dressed to kill either.

A second point is the use of the description 'Oxfords'. In the UK, an Oxford shoe has a plain rounded toecap and laces - the traditional (if uninspiring) male shoe for business wear and very formal occasions. I think you may call that style a 'Balmoral' in the US. But I am aware that, in the US, 'Oxford' can be used also to describe other types of formal shoe, e.g. the heavier styles without a toecap (which in the UK are usually called a Gibson or a Derby).

Umm.. wrong side of the pond, Mate :wave:. We call em ' Oxfords ' over here. :P

-Ilk

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

Oh no, dear sir, I'm on the right side of the pond, I assure you! The land of :queen:and :smile: rather than :wave: and :P

Reminds me of the two blonde girls that camping on the shore of a lake deep in the woods. They were both walking the lakeshore. One on onside of the lake and the other on the opposite side. They saw each other and one of them yelled to the other asking if she could tell her how to get to the other side. To which the other blonde replied: " silly, you're already on the other side."

Being mentally comfortable in your own mind is the key to wearing heels in public.

They have a smiley of my avatar now? Where did that come from! :smile: Its a cigar, not a hotdog! :wave:

Maybe we could have a whole new thread messing about with smileys to make a story, or something? I'll leave it to others to kick-off.

Reminds me of the two blonde girls that camping on the shore of a lake deep in the woods. They were both walking the lakeshore. One on onside of the lake and the other on the opposite side. They saw each other and one of them yelled to the other asking if she could tell her how to get to the other side. To which the other blonde replied: " silly, you're already on the other side."

Yes, indeed! And I recall overhearing a conversation in a shop where the customer, who (judging by his accent) had travelled a great distance to make his purchase, was saying that he would come again but for the fact that 'the shop is such a long way away'. The shop assistant immediately corrected him, very politely: 'Oh no, sir, it's you who is a long way away.' The customer (not very bright and somewhat confused :P) then admitted that the assistant had made a very valid point.