High Heel Marketing Strategy?

moldbuildr

Why is it, that high heel shoe and boot makers list the size only in womens? If the manufacturers wanted to broaden their markets, they could mark the men's size on the box (and put it in the men's section)...therefore once society would see that the market is for men too, the stereotype (women's shoe) may be lessened and be more acceptable to men wearing high heels. I don't know any women with size 13 feet. Or am I wet behind the ears...just saying??? :smile:

moldbuildr I met a woman at the Sexapaloosa Gala in Columbus, Ohio this past weekend (1-14-2012). She was about my height (5' 10") and slender. I invited her to come over to my house to try on some of my high heels. I dought if she calls. Spikesmike

moldbuildr

I met a woman at the Sexapaloosa Gala in Columbus, Ohio this past weekend (1-14-2012). She was about my height (5' 10") and slender. I invited her to come over to my house to try on some of my high heels. I dought if she calls.

Spikesmike

Ya never know buddy! You look pretty darn hot in those heels...Don't sell yourself short....D

Have I missed about 20 posts out? What has that got to do with the original posts? LOL First I'm reading about putting men's sizes on the box then the thread goes WAYYYYY off topic about someone meeting some tart in Columbus Ohio! That's forums for you I suppose!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

I think that what is needed is a "conceptual" reajustment of footwear in general, taking away the so-called "her-him" gender labels that in all reality are just mind games, it is self perpetuating, in a endless (somewhat stupid cycle if you would ask me) I've said this before, that society has forgotten the real reasons behind the true history of heels-that they were meant only for MEN (like skirts & kilts were as well).

I fully agree...Do away with the womens/mens thing and just market them as "shoes or boots" with both womens and mens sizes on the box. Make it all one "shoe" department. But it needs to start at the manufacturing level so the product is labelled appropriately first...then the stores can realign their department areas accordingly. Simple rearranging things on the shelves is all it takes. This would greatly help break down that gender barrier. More men would be willing to "come out of the closet" for say...and enjoy any style shoe produced...same for the women.

More men would be willing to "come out of the closet" for say...and enjoy any style shoe produced...same for the women.

I don't think females have any problem at all choosing to wear a masculine style. Unfortunately, that seems to be the basis for most styles as "feminine" is too "dainty" for most of today's ladies. Ah, for the days when you could tell the difference right away and never have to look at a label stating "men's" or "women's" size. But on the other-foot, guys would be more limited if everything was based on the classic high heeled pump.

Maybe what is needed is a "one size fits all" standard to shoe sizes such as there is in infant's, toddler's, and children's sizes. The male sizes continue right on from the child's sizing numbers while girl's sizes stop at a child's size 3 and goes to a women's size 5 being equal - I think. I wonder why that takes place?

Just a bit higher to to delight - low enough for healthy foot comfort and great beginning.

I fully agree...Do away with the womens/mens thing and just market them as "shoes or boots" with both womens and mens sizes on the box. Make it all one "shoe" department. But it needs to start at the manufacturing level so the product is labelled appropriately first...then the stores can realign their department areas accordingly. Simple rearranging things on the shelves is all it takes. This would greatly help break down that gender barrier. More men would be willing to "come out of the closet" for say...and enjoy any style shoe produced...same for the women.

I like that idea. If marketed correctly, the size could appear on the box and/or shoes as 10/12, for example, without spending that much advertising effort to promote this labeling.

I don't know why we have separate sizes for women and men anyway. Just use one size convention for everyone. Then it makes it easier for everyone to find their size in any shoe, without trying to figure out... " now I wear X in mens, so that means a Z in womens", or vice versa...

I agree with your below points.. I think it would be helpfull if designers started with heels specifically for men, I mean still higher than ordinary men shoes but with evident heels or a little platform, I guess the audience will gradually get used to the ideas of seeing men in some for of heels... There are some designers like Rick Owen who are daring some of these solutions...but with high end prices I think it will be a long way..

Hunter sells wedge heel rubber boots marked in both mens and womens size inside.

I think you'll find that it's a US Ladies' size and the UK size which is mainly unisex.

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

• 3 weeks later...

Dr Shoe, it is indeed more interesting to change the original question to : "Are shoe retailers hypocritical when putting size 13 shoes in women section ?" and

"if yes, does this attitude lead men to avoid these shoes or to pretend they are female to buy them ?"

Here are some naïve answers to the original question : "are there women that buy size US 13 shoes ? "

moldbuildr

I met a woman at the Sexapaloosa Gala in Columbus, Ohio this past weekend (1-14-2012). She was about my height (5' 10") and slender. I invited her to come over to my house to try on some of my high heels. I dought if she calls.

Spikesmike

Tall women do exist. I have seen a few. As Spikesmike did, I estimated their height by comparing with mine (it is not easy I am 190 cm. I estimate they are very tall when they are less than one head shorter than me)

By the way, the ones on the runway are especially tall, aren't they ?

Big footed tall women do also exist. And large size shoes from healthy specialized stores (here anyway) are often much narrower than men's feet, even in size 45.

:wavey:

Well I take a UK 9 and there are a few women I have met who take the same size and a few I know of who take larger. A 10 in the UK will equate to a US 13.