Prada 'tailfin' shoes

Puffer

I don't think anyone has previously mentioned these new Prada shoe styles but this article from the Daily Mail is interesting: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2086119/Greased-Lightning-Pradas-hot-rod-shoes-firing-fashion-world-tailfins-flames.html

As works of art in their own right, as well as being a nostalgic reminder of a great era, I think they are lovely! And it is pleasing to see that we have shapely stilettos and wedges without platforms - which were of course completely unfashionable in the 1950s that these shoes commemorate. How practicable they are for anything other than careful evening wear remains to be seen.

There are already some shoes in the UK (often with an Asian slant) that have a broadly similar glitzy style - and are very much cheaper than Prada's. I expect we shall see some more imported knock-offs before long.

Not true. There were a lot of platforms around in the 50's.

Exactly. The OP was saying that shoes without platforms were out of fashion...

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

Not true. There were a lot of platforms around in the 50's.

I was there, Trolldeg, (at least in England) and you were not!

Yes, there were platforms (with thicker straightish heels - mostly late-40s styles) still seen around until the mid-50s. Marilyn Monroe wore them sometimes. But platforms were scarcely a mainstream or current fashion once the true stiletto heel had become commonplace from 1955/56 onwards - and that is the era (mid 50s - very early 60s) that I believe the Prada shoes are reflecting and to which I was alluding.

Exactly. The OP was saying that shoes without platforms were out of fashion...

No, I was saying (or intending to say!) that platform shoes were NOT fashionable during the latter half of the 1950s (and indeed were going out of fashion after the early 50s).