Dealing with self-consciousness when wearing heels

Elswyth

They click. Audibly! And make me walk sloooow. :smile: So I don't know what to do when people look at me! It makes me feel a little embarrassed. I'm a quiet girl by nature, and it doesn't help that I'm still training with heels - I don't have the best or smoothest walk. So I try and avoid walking alone on clicky surfaces, because I feel awkward. :wave: It's okay when I'm walking with my partner because I can hold on to his arm and talk to him. How do you folks deal with this in the beginning?

Yes, some of our more prized heels/boots can also be frustrating because of the reasons you mention during initial public outings....Noise, comfort levels vary between manufacturers of similar style heels. You may want to consider some lower block style heels/boots for long outings on uneven surfaces for now. Save the stilettos for home or short outings. Wearing the lower blocked heels/boots will allow you to get out and about without much noise at a normal stride while improving your heeling skills...After a few weeks, the taller heels will be easier to handle and more enoyable (for you both) on longer walks...

The click comes from the part of the heel that touches the ground - the "heeltip". Heeltips can be made out of several materials, that each have a different level of "noisyness". The most quiet ones are made from soft rubber. You can take your heels to any decent cobbler, and ask him to replace your current heeltips (that are most likely made of metal or hard plastic) with more quiet ones (for example soft rubber). Of course changing the heeltips will not really change the pace at which you can walk while in heels. That is something that may change over time, when you have become more confident. Good luck!

For a women, don't worry about the noise, just make you self look good and the rest, no one will notice. Or do what most women do, blush and giggle/laugh it off.

As for the men who don't like heel noise suck it up!

Hello, :wave: my name is Hoverfly. I’m a high heel addict…. Weeeeeeeeeee!  👠1998 to 2022!

At first I felt really self-conscious too, and if anyone looked at me I'd feel uneasy and avoid eye contact. But then sometimes it seemed that nobody at all would notice that I was wearing heels, even as the styles got more daring (from wedges to heels under bootcut jeans to high-heeled knee-boots over skinny jeans), and this made me realise I kind of want people to notice and it's down to me to choose how to react. The solution (for me) is to always walk with my head held high, expect people to notice, and smile when it happens. I think that's the best reaction, whether it's for the odd person who's looking at you disapprovingly or the vast majority who are admiring you and your heels. Maybe the only reason to be embarassed is if you have some kind of mishap in your heels or look like you really can't handle them (loud surfaces can also be quite slippery sometimes), so maybe just start with your favourite pair of shoes (and outfit) that you feel the most comfortable in and build your confidence from there. Sometimes it's the loudest people who are the most insecure - it's great that you're a quiet girl and you should feel confident to express who you are. Don't let your heels hold you back, instead grasp the opportunity to let your heels help you grow and develop your personality (it's funny how shoes can hold such power).

If you like it, wear it.

quiet Elswyth and others

Dr. Shoe and I would get along famously. We both like the noise. Thats why I always wear spurs with my boots. Ask iloveboots. You can hear me coming two blocks away.

Spikesmike

Toss me into that group! I so love and get absolutely riled up when I hear the sound of those metal tips/spikes hitting the ground. I can say a home I was working in had a hardwood floor with a huge basement below and the home owner was prancing around in a pair and it was echoing off the walls!!!! ( I couldnt work. ) She found out I had a.. ' like ' for heels and INTENTIONALLY wore them all week long while we worked on her house. She found reasons to prance across the rooms.. it was absolute torture!

To the original author if this topic:

Initially, I started off in a pair of wedge boots with rubber bottoms. They were quiet and very stable. I later moved on to other kinds of heels when I knew what to expect and after I had some confidence built up.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

This is something that I had not really given much thought. Maybe I will look for some more noisy heels. One of my favorite pair do make a detectable sound on a hard surface and that has never been a problem for me. However when I do wear noisy heels I try to coordinate the over all look so that I do not get spotted with elegant heels sprouting from boys pants. This is now the age of fashion freedom at least here in Orange County 92866 so I can wear a nice knee length leather skirt. Anyway I do believe I will look for some really noisy heels to make the most of it.

I have never walked in puplic till the first if the year and then since last tuesday I have only missed one day> The first day I through caution to the wind ad went shoppng, to the bank, to my realitor, and I watched people and did not notice anything. This morning I went to work wth my wife and put on my new 3" boots that she has never seen me wear before. One comiet that she made is that she liked how tall I was, and then she liked the sound of the heels when we walked. I should point out that I have never wore heels in front of her before. I went on to wear the heels all day to the courthouse to transfer a title to work and to 2 job projects one that I was at my heels were higher than my 2 20 sonethingsthat i was meeting. I think that us that love Heels look out for the sound. and might be suprised to see a man but deep in side wish that we could be him.

Hi Elswyth, I think the best thing is to keep on as you are. Try to relax, take your time and enjoy the attention and admirers. Anyone in heels will be looked at, attention is part of the allure that high heels bring and it is empowering and addictive for the wearer. This is why many try high heels but never break the initial confidence barrier, never get comfortable with heels (by that I mean with their image in them - not the shoe fit) and so unfortunately become flatties/ low heel devotees. I think you have to put X amount of effort in to reap the multitude of pleasures that heels can deliver The attention you are nervous of right now will eventually be relished,and you will be a master at 'working' your legs and heels to your advantage, you will be able to take control of a room if you wish..., you'll feel better about yourself, you'll know you look good... etc etc etc The clickety clack of heels is an essential ingredient of a high heeled persona and is another tool in the armoury so to speak. Heels are for admiring, pretty shoes need to announce their arrival so that everyone can admire them! Enough from me. Best wishes! rgds Heel-Lover

I am loudest in my man shoes as I wear metal 'segs' on them to protect the heel as I have a tendency to wear them out quickly on the outer edge. I walk quickly and MrsF says I am heavy footed so I am very loud and get lots of looks. I have noticed that when I am in heels I get the same look but the result is no different its just a momentary glance. I do enjoy when me and MsF are out in heels together as we are both loud and make a lot of noise.

High heels are the shoes I choose to put on, respect my choice as I repect yours.

For a women, don't worry about the noise, just make you self look good and the rest, no one will notice. Or do what most women do, blush and giggle/laugh it off.

As for the men who don't like heel noise suck it up!

Heh, sounds good.

The click comes from the part of the heel that touches the ground - the "heeltip". Heeltips can be made out of several materials, that each have a different level of "noisyness". The most quiet ones are made from soft rubber. You can take your heels to any decent cobbler, and ask him to replace your current heeltips (that are most likely made of metal or hard plastic) with more quiet ones (for example soft rubber).

Of course changing the heeltips will not really change the pace at which you can walk while in heels. That is something that may change over time, when you have become more confident.

Good luck!

I just bought my first expensive pair of heels, which I love, so I'm quite hesitant to alter them. :smile: Thanks for the idea though!

Hi Elswyth,

I think the best thing is to keep on as you are. Try to relax, take your time and enjoy the attention and admirers. Anyone in heels will be looked at, attention is part of the allure that high heels bring and it is empowering and addictive for the wearer. This is why many try high heels but never break the initial confidence barrier, never get comfortable with heels (by that I mean with their image in them - not the shoe fit) and so unfortunately become flatties/ low heel devotees. I think you have to put X amount of effort in to reap the multitude of pleasures that heels can deliver The attention you are nervous of right now will eventually be relished,and you will be a master at 'working' your legs and heels to your advantage, you will be able to take control of a room if you wish..., you'll feel better about yourself, you'll know you look good... etc etc etc

The clickety clack of heels is an essential ingredient of a high heeled persona and is another tool in the armoury so to speak. Heels are for admiring, pretty shoes need to announce their arrival so that everyone can admire them!

Enough from me. Best wishes!

rgds

Heel-Lover

Very good points! Thank you. I love heels but I guess my motive in them is not exactly to be noticed.

The whole idea behind a stiletto heeled shoe is to get noticed. It was designed for that! So yeah, it SHOULD make the clacking sound while you walk. Whether you're a man or a woman, you will turn heads in a pair of stilettos. Some good advice has already been mentioned here with regards to building self confidence that will eat away self awareness doubts. Once you're comfortable with wearing and walking in thicker heeled shoes, only then graduate to the real fun which are stilettos or other thinner heel designs. As long as the outfit goes well with the shoes, you'll be fine.

The whole idea behind a stiletto heeled shoe is to get noticed. It was designed for that! So yeah, it SHOULD make the clacking sound while you walk. Whether you're a man or a woman, you will turn heads in a pair of stilettos.

Some good advice has already been mentioned here with regards to building self confidence that will eat away self awareness doubts. Once you're comfortable with wearing and walking in thicker heeled shoes, only then graduate to the real fun which are stilettos or other thinner heel designs. As long as the outfit goes well with the shoes, you'll be fine.

This is excellent advice. The more you wear them in public and especially enjoy wearing them, the less self-conscious you will become. Have fun wearing your high heels and wear them proudly.