Buy one size smaller for heels?

Elswyth

I ran into a bit of confusion with sizes recently. I'd always worn a NZ/AUS size 6 for flats, and it was perfect, they would never slip out. However, with heels, I find that there is quite a bit of slippage when I wear a size 6. I then read somewhere that we should always buy 1 size smaller for heels compared to flats, because in flats your foot spreads out, whereas in heels it doesn't do that. True/false?

True...partially. When we buy flats we tend to allow for wiggle room for comfort, but on a pump this wiggle room would make it hard to keep your shoes on. I think that exact size is less important on a flat than it is with a heel (at least with pumps anyway). Boots with high heels can be sized somewhat larger because they don't rely on the shoe part of the boot to keep them on.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

I think perhaps the shoe type does play some part in the sizing, though I believe there's more difference between different brands than there are differing heel heights or between heels and flats. My only advice is to try before you buy, or when buying online take good notice of the returns policy and buy well in advance if your buying your heels for an occasion, just in case you have to return for a size change. As far as I know, heels can run at the exact same size as flats from the same brand, while other brands will have differing sizes between shoes of the same heel height. I hope that helps, Chris

I think perhaps the shoe type does play some part in the sizing, though I believe there's more difference between different brands than there are differing heel heights or between heels and flats.

My only advice is to try before you buy, or when buying online take good notice of the returns policy and buy well in advance if your buying your heels for an occasion, just in case you have to return for a size change.

As far as I know, heels can run at the exact same size as flats from the same brand, while other brands will have differing sizes between shoes of the same heel height.

I hope that helps,

Chris

I agree with you empahtically. I can wear a 10, 11, or 12 of high heels depending on the shoe. The only "flats" I have are sports shoes. And again, I can wear a 9.5, 10, or 10.5 depending on the shoe.

Sizes seem to vary a lot, even among different styles from the same brand. Go from one brand to another and sizing may be off by 2 steps! It is a continual problem, we are always going on about it here. The sizing systems seem to be loose guidelines at best. As an example, I have been able to wear an 11 in certain styles and brands while in others a 12 was too tight to even get on my foot! High heels bring an added dimension to the situation because proper fit is absolutely essential in a heel. You just will not get the support you need with a loose fit and a tight fit will leave you in misery. The only good answer, as CRabbit stated, is to try them on before you buy. If you are buying online, deal with a shop that has a generous return policy because chances are better than half you're going to send them back.

Have a happy time!

My blue suede 5.5" heels are my usual size 9 US. I could have gotten away with size 8.5, especially when I would wear nylons with them. Then I think about how more work it would take to put the 8.5 on since the size 9 goes on just perfect. I have other size 9 heels that fit perfectly

I believe some heels might fit you better a half size smaller; however there are some that are better half a size or a whole size up, mainly the 6" with no platform. Then again for some those may be alright in his or her original size.

I'd certainly agree with what others have said, it really varies between brands/styles and can be really tricky especially with heels. I almost always end up buying the same size (UK7) whether its heels, flats or boring guy shoes, but I still always try them on for fit before deciding to buy or not. Ideally I'd probably wear a UK7½ or a slightly wider-fitting 7 but those are quite rare to find. Some size 7's are a litte bit of a squeeze when I first put them on but even give a little slippage by the end of the day (usually when I'm wearing sheer hosiery or walking a lot) but there's no way I'd go a size down with those. Other 7's just seem to get tighter the longer I wear them and I've learnt (the hard way) not to be tempted into buying those (no point loving a look that I can't keep on my feet for more than a few minutes). In that case maybe I'd try the size 8 but they're usually too long for me and don't look/feel right, it's more of a width thing. I do find that boots (heels or flats) are usually sized a little more generously and it's easier to get a comfortable fit by wearing thicker/thinner socks and/or adding an insole so I rarely have to walk away from a style I like. But some small-fitting court shoes that don't look right the next size up I just have to walk away from.

If you like it, wear it.

Hi Elswyth, I think what you say is a common phenomenon. But also as others have said shoe manufacturers sizes vary so you really need to try the shoes on. I find with higher heels especially as the day goes on I slide down the hill more.... what I mean is if I'm wearing pumps (since its most noticeable with pumps) they fit nicely first thing and the heel is just lightly gripping my heel in. As the day progresses - and especially after doing a lot of walking/ standing then the hold of my heel gets looser - I think maybe the shoe stretches slightly over the day - or it is the effect of my foot slipping down the slope of the shoe?? Anyway - this is not an issue in slings/mules/sandals etc - only for pumps. This is worse with hosiery than bare legs. What I recommend is try shoes at the end of the day (because your feet swell). I fit levante foot petals (get them from Farmers) in the toe area - they are like party feet but they are a neoprene style grip pad - this stops me sliding forward and provides extra cushioning. Go for a snug fit when trying shoes (especially as the heels get higher), and choose leather uppers etc because they will stretch a little to allow for the snug fit. The lower the shoe the looser the fit can be. I suppose that rule you mention is approximate - but I think a fitting is essential to be able to get good shoes and enjoy them. Cheers Heel-Lover

I think in with high heels esp a court / pump style that needs to fit snug to stay on go for 1 size smaller than your normall flat shoe size. As mentioned if you have archy feet be carful if you buy very high heels you may even need 2 sizes down becase your heel will come away from the heel cup if not snug on your toes, just as a idea i have worrn heels for almost 20 years and my feet has got very high arched and i have lost 3 sizes, so all i can say its trial & error as they say good luck .

shaz