High School Student Can't Wear High Heels

WhyNotMenToo

As bad as it might seem, I cannot show any support for ' him '. I wish I could, but after looking into everything, this isnt someone I can ' support ' as an individual. Its one thing to want equality and fairness, but you cannot expect support from others after you have been.. ' less then desirable ' to begin with. I believe they should either ban all heel wearing or make it so everyone can wear them. These are kids in a HighSchool, not legal adults. If ' Safety ' is a concern as stated, banning ' hazardous ' footwear would be the only appropriate solution. Not just heels, but ' flip flops ' that offer no foot protection and shoes that have no grip on their bottoms. Its wet and messy in those hallways during the winter and having 1900 kids soaking down the hallways after coming in for morning classes.. falling on a hard surface isnt any fun at all.

REPEATEDLY ARGUMENTATIVE, INSULTING AND RUDE. BANNED FOR LIFE.

I do also wished the story was titled by the media "male high school student" instead of "gay high school student". Because his sexual orientation had nothing to do with this issue. It was an overreaction because someone saw a male in high heels.

One of the problems with that is people with high intelligence that could improve the quality of education don't become teachers because they are paid so little. I am not 100% sure about this statement but I want to say a teacher makes less in a year then one year of college cost.

I'm not sure teachers are under paid any more? I think it's actually a function of teachers being in it for the money and tenure, not the students.

Charlie

Everything I say is a lie!.......I'm lying

• 2 weeks later...

These kinds of stories are exactly why I'm all in favor of school uniforms. Too many kids worried about putting on a fashion show with high end shoes & designer clothes. Wear what you want at home, but when you're in school it's time to focus on your studies.

These kinds of stories are exactly why I'm all in favor of school uniforms.

This was brought up in this area about 2 years ago. It became a HUGE crying-game of ' we cant afford to buy uniforms for our kids ' while they are wearing 100$+ Air Jordans with gold chains/necklaces hanging about?

After a methodology of finding a way to appropriate the uniforms was discovered, it then became a ' civil rights issue ' for the ' Childrens Benefits ' in which the kids shouldnt be dictated to by the TAXPAYERS WHOM PAY FOR THE SCHOOLS.

The School System in the Buffalo/Niagara Falls area is comparable to a dictatorship run by the Teachers Unions. NOTHING can be changed except wages going up and grade averages going down.

I do not think school uniforms would make the problems disappear. Then there would be boys who would want to come in the girls uniform. But indeed, a uniform would for many parents be much cheaper. My sisters reaction to the discussion about school uniforms was one of "Very nice. then they will not have that contest of expensive brand name clothes". Y.

Raise your voice. Put on some heels.

The problem with Educational systems of today is they are a huge ' sociology ' project. Its not about learning Math, Science, History or a Language. Its about ' Social Networking ', Showing kids how to inter-act with others.. Contrary to most beliefs, thats what a ' home life ' is for. Kids under the age of 18 should NOT have all the ' liberties ' that are screamed for by them. The Educational systems ( K-12 ) shouldnt have HALF the ' courses ' they teach to begin with. Schools shouldnt take the place of parents and Parents shouldnt use Schools as a Babysitter/Child Care Facilities. Its all about placing the blame of the failures of the ' Educational System '. The solution is very simple. Get rid of ' public education ' and put in its place a voucher system. Get rid of the teachers unions and all the political crap and go back to a system that EDUCATES young people. No more ' sociology experimentation '.

• 3 weeks later...

It is good how he is trying to bring high heel wearing to the public eye, but also sounds like he goes to some extremes for attention too.

I would agree with that assessment, but hey, that's what works for him. Meanwhile, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that school district tries to kill any future clothing controversy by making their student wear uniforms.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

JeffB..

The topic of school uniforms has come and gone so many times..

It goes from having ' uniformity ' and gets twisted into ' anti-gay ', a ' plight against the poor because they cant afford uniforms ' to ' Racism ' or whatever else happens. The measure makes it to an assembly and the ACLU steps in and threatens all sorts of legal mishaps..

This happened in the City of Buffalo, Its right next door to City Hall. What DID in fact happen were enough Parents were entirely tired of ' Public Education ' and all the distractions from education/learning that the City started whats called ' Charter Schools '. Theres presently around 10 of them in the area and 2 or 3 more are either being built or older schools are being used/renovated to re-open as ' charter ' schools.

After one of her friends was beaten ( almost raped ) by a ' common animal ' in one of Buffalos Public Schools, a relative of mine was moved by her parents into a Charter School.

http://www.nhaschools.com/schools/buffalounited/About-Us/Pages/Our-Story.aspx

Theres no ' Teachers Union ' politics, The Board of the school is all by Volunteers and they have set standards. It is NOT an ' Everyone gets a trophy ' type of environment. You MUST apply yourself and pass or your OUT!

DGMurdock : If you want to go to THAT school, you'll go nowhere in life. It could be compared to a Zoo more then an ' Educational Institute '. Its all of a 15-20minute drive from my home.

The Original Article, The Student.. Hes a very bad apple. *I* wouldnt have the kid over for dinner nor did I join his protest they had outside the school after *I went there* and heard all the scoop about it.

The Problem is, This ' student ' is far to outspoken for his own good.

This kid gives gays a very bad name. He enjoys throwing homosexuality into peoples faces and feels nobody should hold him accountable for his actions ' because hes gay ' , so they should all look the other way when he speaks of all the ' straight guys ' hes slept with, some of whom are fellow students at his school.

He has gone as far as to claim to have been ' discriminated against ' because hes black, gay OR for what he wears.

His supporters all believe hes ' cool ' and ' fantastic '. They are mostly young, influential and could all be categorized as ' followers '.

*IF* this kid kept decent grades, a lower profile and was more respectful towards others, I would have gladly helped picket the school.

The SADDEST part of the whole dealing..

"I cannot imagine what it is like to be Tyreese but I certainly do admire his courage. It would have been much easier for him to take off his shoes and conform and instead he chose to stay true to who he is. His actions will make it easier for the next gay teen on that campus and the kids that follow him all owe him a debt. Each small act of resistance is one step towards equality. Remember that in part oppression exists because marginalized people are complicit. I don't think that Tyreese intended to become a role model when he stood up for his rights but I am certain that his actions will go alone way to inspire gay teens of colour across the North America. As a straight woman, I know that I am impressed by both his ingenuity and his strength."

All the political correctness rubbish/crap about oppression/hating gays and such just HAS to come out. People play this kid as some kind of hero yet hes an antagonist that walks all over other people!

The woman whom wrote that article goes as far as to call Tyreese a ' Role Model '? I bet she has never even met him in person!

I think we all as ' Heel lovers ' could agree, we dont like the decision here. I think we all would agree that we should be allowed to wear what we wish so long as it covers the genitals or is what could be considered in the grounds of ' decent '. This kid though.. Its NOT a scenario any of us should champion or drag ourselves down with. We often need to look at the individual championing an ' issue ' we might agree with. Its not too often, but it does happen, where we need to ' walk away ' and say ' theres better out there '. A PERFECT Example is that rapper named Kanye West. What he did to Taylor Swift at the Awards Ceremony. How about the Miss Teen Pagent where Miss North Carolina stumbled about ' The Iraq ' when asked about education and looked like about as intelligent as a baboon? Its kids and idiots like the one being depicted as being ' picked on ' that acceptance for the rest of us isnt looked upon as ' normal ' or ' healthy '. Instead of letting others have peace and go about their day, he has to be flamboyant in his ways and just provoke others.. then he cries ' victim '.

• 3 weeks later...

Hate to bring a dead topic up but...

I was Grocery shopping and Police came into the store. Apparently, at the school around the corner, there was some kind of shooting. JUST GREAT!

So, I decided when I arrived home to look at the local news website to see if anything was stated. I found this article..

http://www.buffalonews.com/city/schools/article749897.ece

Between shootings, the Teachers Union, The attitude of students in general.. this is all a WASTE!