Helpful tips on sizing!!!!

BeachHeeler

Ok so ive experimented with this for hours. Im also studying to become an engineer so im good with measurements so you have to trust me on this one. The myth for men when it comes converting to womens size is to go 2 sizes up. WRONG!!!. Do not do that you might end up buying to big of a size. You have to understand that womans sizes are between mens sizes. So you have to be carefull. Im an 8 1/2 and I bought a womens size 10 shoe and it is about 1/2 a size too big and my foot slides forward in the heel. It makes them a little more difficult to walk in. I then bought a pair of booties size 9 1/2 womens and they fit perfectly snug. And thats only 1 size bigger. Now im a small 8 1/2 (a regular 8 1/2 is 10 1/8 inch and my foot measures exactly 10 inches and trust me that 1/8 inch makes a difference when it comes to converting to womens sizes). I can still fit into mens size 8 with relative ease. So be careful if you are a smaller or larger in your size. So to find the correct size first you need to measure your foot. Put your heel at the end of the ruler at 0 (and be sure its at 0) and measure to your big toe to the nearest 1/16th of an inch. Also make sure you stand and put your weight on your foot to get the most accurate measurement. Then use this chart (http://www.6pm.com/cs/mmf-popop.zml) to find your size in womens. Please take notice of your size in mens first and see that these charts are accurate. Also to see if your a larger or smaller of your size. And remember it is very important that you measure to 1/16 of an inch. And ull know if you buy too large of a heel because your foot will slide forward and theyll be a space between the back of your foot and the back of the heel. Also it will probably flip flop a little. Too small and your foot will scrunch up and the arch of your foot will pop up. THAT IS VERY BAD FOR YOUR FOOT. You know its the perfect fit when your foot and the arch conform right to the heel. You also should get an amazing feeling when you put them on. No shoe should hurt your foot, not even heels.

Of course this all depends on how wide, tall, narrow, short (ect) the shoe is, and what material it is made out of. My size 12 patent leather pumps fit perfectly on purchase. 1 month later they now slide around a little on my foot, about 1/4 of a size too big on the back.

What Other People Think Of Me, Ain't None Of My Buisness ~ RuPaul

yea that happens after you break them in, so it makes sense. But the 9 1/2s I bought were a tad tight at first too but once I broke them in they fit perfectly. Thats why I say you should buy whatevers closest to your size in inches. Because even if there dead on or a little bit smaller you will break them in and stretch them.

BeachHeeler,

You did some excellent research and those are some very good suggestions. What I have discovered is that it all depends on the shoe. In a woman's shoe, depending on the shoe, I can comfortably wear a shoe from size 10 to size 13. That's why I always recommend trying them on before you buy.

Well the heels I got were size 12, and im a size 12 in mens. But Unfortunatly not all of us have the luxury of being able to "try before we buy", due to a lot of the stuff only being avalible online.

The next pair of shoes I have my eye on are a pair of black suede wedged ankle boots and / or a pair of jeffery campbell lita mens. I'm going to buy them in a USA 13 as thats roughly a UK 12 (these shoes are all mens sizing). My feet are roughly 30cm long, from heel to big toe, and the shoes i want say:

"Fits true to size. Size 10 measures 27.5cm. Each whole size is 1cm difference. "

So I should be okay with them (:. For £110 I should hope so too LOL!

What Other People Think Of Me, Ain't None Of My Buisness ~ RuPaul

Wow, I didnt think that sizing would sway that much. Unfortunatly I dont have the guts to try on heels in public in this town especially (primarily military). But I heard sizing gets more accurate the smaller the size and lucky me im ony 8 1/2 (although I can still fit into size 8, but thats just how small my feet are) mens which is suppose to be about 9 1/2 in womens.

Yeah but in the US women's sizes are 2 sizes bigger than men's. So, a men's 10 will fit a ladies' 12. In the UK the sizes are [officially] the same but as women tend to have narrower feet, a women's 8 will fit a man who normally takes size 7 better. having said that, some men have unusually narrow feet and some women have unusually broad feet. I have a (male) friend who actually takes a UK size 3 shoe but he has very broad feet. Widthwise, the smallest shoe he can get into is a men's 7!

Graduate footwear designer able to advise and assist on modification and shoe making projects.

A lot of science in there and I'm still lost with a phenomenon that I observe. I'm a mens 9 1/2 which translates into a womens 11 and that fits perferctly when I'm wearing flats. As soon as a heel of 2 or more inches comes into the games I need to go a number down and get a 10 which than fits perfect. How is that happening?

A lot of science in there and I'm still lost with a phenomenon that I observe.

I'm a mens 9 1/2 which translates into a womens 11 and that fits perferctly when I'm wearing flats. As soon as a heel of 2 or more inches comes into the games I need to go a number down and get a 10 which than fits perfect. How is that happening?

It's because of something called gravity. Welcome to hhplace darg.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

It's because of something called gravity. Welcome to hhplace darg.

Thanks a lot.

So the heel forces the foot to become shorter? I was thinking it might be caused by the arching of the foot and with that its geometry is getting a little shorter.

darg

Thanks a lot.

So the heel forces the foot to become shorter? I was thinking it might be caused by the arching of the foot and with that its geometry is getting a little shorter.

darg

Think of the shoe as a ramp. Gravity will cause the foot to slip down that ramp a bit which means that extra space is being created behind the heel. That's extra space you probably don't want so you size down.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Darg - Welcome to the forum. Seems you have discovered the inconsistency of show sizing. I suspect your flats and heels were from a different manufacturer. Wait until you venture into boots for more surprises. :smile: I find that when a heel is involved I may have to go up a size for every inch of heel above 3" to get a comfortable fit. Most folks posting here have discovered the importance of trying on shoes before you buy them, but then that’s part of the fun.

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Thanks for the post, BeachHeeler. After my first purchase online and receiving them I realized that I cannot simply add 2 to my size. Oh well, since it's a pair of boots, I can just add thick socks and heel on! Wish I had the courage to try on in public so I knew they would be a perfect fit. Maybe in the future...and in a different town (everybody knows everybody around here! lol)

No problem love2heel. Im glad it helped. If you were wearing normal womens shoes adding 2 sizes would work, but were throwing high heels into the mix so you have to be careful with sizing. And its like shafted said, your foot will slide down inside the shoe so you should size down. Also Measuring your foot and using that to do the conversions is the most accurate way. And I totally understand your situation with wearing heels in public. I too cant wear heels in public because of the town I live in. Granted its not a small town by anymeans so not everybody knows everybody. Especially with over 500,000 people living here. Its just that its a military town so there are alot of ignorant people that live here and would make fun of a guy like me wearing heels. Although it is an incredible place to live and grow up in.

Experience tells me that it's also worth noting that: - Boots tend to be a little larger than an equivalently sized shoe. - Heels require a smaller size than typical mens shoes as the snug fit is essential. - Wearing hose/tights allows you to comfortably wear close to a size smaller.