London Heel Meet 6th Nov(Split from Birmingham heel meet)

Heelfan

Calling all Heel-Meeters! I've edited this message to delete my chat about the informal London meet because Daz has just started-up a separate new thread especially for London on 6th Nov 2003. We will now use the latter part of this thread exclusively for the Birmingham Heel-Meet on 6th November 2003. Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Hi, Daz, This is Xaphod on Calv's machine (I'm up in the Midlands for the weekend). If you want to do an informal heel session in London sometime during your week off, either PM me or post here. I normally wander up to town on a weekday for a change of scenery, not necessarily heel shopping, but more just to enjoy what London has to offer. Xa

Do your own thing. Don't be a victim of conformity.

Calv

Calling all Heel-Meeters! I've edited this message to delete my chat about the informal London meet because Daz has just started-up a separate new thread especially for London on 6th Nov 2003. We will now use the latter part of this thread exclusively for the Birmingham Heel-Meet on 6th November 2003. Cheerfully yours, Heelfan

Onwards and upwards!

Hi, all, Confirmed .... we'll do Thurs 6th. I havn't been to Leatherworks for a while, so another trip would be fun. If you're planning to buy some shoes from there, then it's a good idea to try on a few pairs because their lasts are very narrow. In my case, with size 5EEE feet, I find that I have to take their size 7s. Ususally size 6 is OK from ordinary outlets, but size 7 is just unwearable .... that's why I don't have any Leatherworks shoes. BTW, Leatherworks used to like you to phone beforehand to make an appointment. When you arrived you pressed the bell on an anonymous-looking door which was opened to reveal all the heely goodies inside ! Normally I get up to town around 1130 and eat at Pizza Hut in High St Kensington (as much pizza as you can eat plus salad for £5.50). Suitably fuelled, I then go wherever I'm going. Xa

Hi, Daz, Ionic and others, OK, 6th it is. Suggest meeting at 1145 at High St Kensington station concourse. If you are early, there's Marks and Spencers next door to browse (they do some reasonably elegant boots and go up to size 9 sometimes). This is only a suggestion, not set in stone .... I know Daz gets a cheaper ticket if he travels early, so I can appear an hour earlier if required. Leatherworks have some ranges in most sizes, so you can try on these to find out which size last you prefer. The particular style you choose will be made on their standard last (I don't think they do custom foot measurement and modify the last to suit individual feet). If you have kneehigh boots made, they will tailor the profile of the boot to your leg, but I'm pretty sure it's still Hobson's choice when it comes to the last. Stils will be fine .... I feel the need for Fuss 5" courts, but whim may change this. I'm not around for a while so I'll PM a contact phone number to those interested. Xa

Leatherworks in Southgate Road, is a reasonable walk from Highbury and Islington tube station, which is also convenient for The Little Shoe Box in the other direction.

Last time I visited Leatherworks they had a very large display of shoes, all of which were UK Size 7, but there were many more boxes of shoes out the back, so other sizes could be available to try. I guess you have more chance if you give them a day or two notice.

You will be spoilt for choice there. They have a massive range. Most shoes are available with either a 4 inch or 5.5 inch or 7 inch heel. The 7 inch heel can be with or without a platform on many styles. Many are also available with a shiny steel heel instead, which can be unscrewed and a different style inserted. Browse their website for ideas before you go.

Make sure you also visit The Little Shoe Box too.