Heels and hills!

bladerunner

I have been heeling for years but if there is one thing that stumps me is walking down hills,especially where the pavement drops increasing the angle even more! and as with many of my shoes/boots with a curved front to the footwear (im sure doctor shoe will advise on the technical name for this!) Its not quite so bad if the footwear is flat at the sole but i have made a real idiot of my self sometimes! not fallen yet ,but occasionally look like a run away train! How do you guys deal with it? Oh and before a smart arse says dont walk down hills! where i live i'm surrounded by them!

I just love those suede heels!!!!!

After spending a long holiday weekend in Gatlinburg Tenn. I can say it's just a matter of taking your time, smaller steps, and watching the angles a bit. I was out in 3" to 4" boots with a stacked heel, and you just have to be carefull. It becomes somewhat second nature.

Hi Bladerunner, If you're wearing very high heels you just have to bend at the knees when walking down a steep slope. I live in a hilly city and wear all heel heights and the higher the heel the more it is an issue (obviously) and I have learnt that the best thing to do is to walk down the fall-line of a slope straight downwards. Steep sideways slopes are every bit as much of a nuisance so I avoid these even more so, slight sideways angles can be dealt with in stilettos easier than chunkier heels but there is no easy answer with heels and hills. The worst I find is a downhill street with a pavement that also slopes towards the roadside steeply! Horror for us high heelers. I find I avoid 'known/obvious bad high heel spots' and have worked out my own route everywhere based on experience. I always have a pair of flats with me and am not ashamed to slip them on and carry my heels. Cheers Heel-Lover

There are too many options when your ankle reached the limit to which it will bend. For me that is a 5½” heel so wearing a 5” gives me some leave way for steep grades. One option, when you hit your limit, is to bend your knee, another is to turn your foot so it is pointing to the side so the heel and sole are still hitting the ground at the same level. Neither of these techniques are a particularly attractive way to walk but they beat a tumble. Either of these techniques will work on a steep grade but if the grade isn’t too severe small steps will also work. However, if your environment is nothing but steep grades, you might as a last ditch effort consider a lower heel (I suggest that at my peril that the moderators will ban me for heresy :smile:).

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

I think i will have to avoid my shoes with the curved sole the most,they are fine until you reach the tipping point and nearly end up sprinting! lol 'The worst I find is a downhill street with a pavement that also slopes towards the roadside steeply! Horror for us high heelers.' Heel-Lover, you know what im up against! I think route planning is the key and sadly a lower heel (yes Thighbootguy they may ban me for heresy as well!) or levitating lessons for those awkward moments.

I just love those suede heels!!!!!

I thought I was doing quite well at walking in heels until I participated in a " Walk A Mile In Her Shoes" event in which there were 2 rather steep hills we had to negotiate. I managed the first one, but coming down the second one I ended up removing the shoes and walking in stockings until I reached the bottom. I guess I need more practice. Also, I was wearing 5 inch stilettos for the first time.

the higher the heel the more it is an issue (obviously) and I have learnt that the best thing to do is to walk down the fall-line of a slope straight downwards. Steep sideways slopes are every bit as much of a nuisance so I avoid these even more so, slight sideways angles can be dealt with in stilettos easier than chunkier heels but there is no easy answer with heels and hills. The worst I find is a downhill street with a pavement that also slopes towards the roadside steeply! Horror for us high heelers.

Very good advice that I totally agree with from Heel lover.

Recognising & following the fall line of the slope is key. Following the fall line is like the heel is suddenly higher, however walking at an angle to the fall line makes it very easy to roll an ankle. With platforms its even worse as your center of gravity can go close to or outside the sole of the shoe meaning they are extremely unstable.

well folks, I live in a very hilly area (south orange county in Laguna Niguel-check it out on google maps, youll know what I mean) & I really cant be wearing heels up or down any of the hills here, only if I can get a ride to where I'm going & get back home cause I dont drive & do not yet have a car, so mostly around the house these days.