Heels = What accessories?

HappyinHeels

Hi All, This topic has been touched before but not the degree I like and I want some input. We all talk about what style heels we wear and some of the other articles we wear with them. some of you have talked about handbags. I am curious what style and color handbags, those guys that carry them, you take with you and how you pair them with your shoes and boots. I have two bags no but have never carried them unless I'm substantially different looking. This thought occurred to me yesterday when I was in a moderately-crowded mall dressed in a man's sweater, bootcut stretch jeans, a woman's leather jacket, and wearing my 5" leather knee boots under those jeans. What if I also had a black bag?? I'd like to hear from some of our intrepid fashionistas! HappyinHeels:wavey:

I'm not a fashionista, but I do carry a bag everywhere I go. I hate bulging pockets, and even worse, I hate forgetting to transfer stuff when I change pants or jeans, so I keep everything in my bag. I have only one, it's black fabric, with a wide strap that doesn't look femme, and although I've been seen by thousands of people, I've hardly ever been asked about it, which is kind of amazing to me. As there is a rule of physics that "the junk accumulates to fill the available space," my bag somehow gets filled with lots of stuff, which is why I prefer a small one, because if it were bigger, I couldn't lift it! Inside I keep house and business keys, 2 sets of car keys, extra house key, wallet, coins, handkerchief, small flashlight, reading glasses, sunglasses, clear nail polish for containing hosiery runs, small notebook, pencil and pen, frequent buyer cards, small back-up jump drive, nail clipper, nail file, pocket calendar, mobile phone, small umbrella, and kitchen sink. I also have a black leather-like brief case (a bigger shoulder bag) for travel, which can contain my laptop, camera, file folders, magazines, and other stuff, and the small bag can nest into the big one so I still have only one bag on my shoulder. Both bags are black and go with everything I wear, so I never have to worry about matching or clashing. Shoulder bags are so handy, I don't know why more guys don't carry them. Women have it all figured out, and it's an accessory well worth carrying, in my opinion. If you're thinking of it, do it! Steve

Well, I don't look at myself as being a fashionista (heh), but I'll do my best to answer your question. I carry handbags regularly on my little adventures and I find it highly convienient because I have everything in one place and don't have to worry about bulging pockets which makes for an unattractive profile, especially when I wear tight jeans or a skirt. As for colors, since all my shoes and boots are black, so are my bags (color coordination is important), all of which are very much "femme", and I don't give a damn if people see that they are, the thing is, precious few people notice or care since they're too wrapped up in their own lives and affairs. In regard to style, keep things simple, nothing flashy or extravagant, do as best you can to blend in with your environment, also, use a bag that will successfully carry everything you need, a small, overloaded bag is rather gauche. At the same time, an overly large bag wouldn't work either because you'd be endless fishing around inside for something you need. Consider everything you'd need while out and about and tailor your bag to properly carry everything. I hope this helps.

I don't want to LOOK like a woman, I just want to DRESS like a woman!

I have been caring a bag for over two year. I carry it at work where I am more traditionally attired and when I’m out and about in boots and sometimes a skirt. I have two plain black leather bags, both have a shoulder strap long enough that the bag hangs just above my waist. One is larger than the other and as Steve pointed out, "the junk accumulates to fill the available space." The only drawback I have encountered is I will sometimes forget to transfer my “work keys” to my pocket when I leave my desk and I have to go back and get them before I lock myself out of a building. (At work, I don’t need to carry all my “stuff” around so I don’t bother with the bag when I head to a meeting.) I do find using a bag is a most convenient way organizing my “stuff” and grabbing it has almost become automatic. (Watch the ladies that have been caring one all their lives to see how automatic picking up the bag is.) When I go to the museum, I carry a separate small black leather bag that has two straps and can be worn as a backpack but I wear it over my shoulder. In it I keep my sketchbook and drawing pencils and eraser. I have a third fancier black bag with a short strap that is designed to be carried high under your arm. I rarely use it and only when I want to really push the fem look. I found all four of these bags, over time, at the Goodwill on the purse rack and I still keep my eyes open. Anyone reading this forum knows better than to consider me being a fashionista. :smile:

I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.

Hi, as others have said a handbag is practical because it keeps everything together. Once your used to carrying one it is easy. It does take getting used to it, in order for you to look relaxed with a bag. A shorter strapped bag is my preference because you can sit it oveer your shoulder (just) and tuck it under your arm, but it easily sits at your elbow and doesn't hang to too low, which is great for accessing stuff in your bag while standing in a queue etc.. Black would be the staple colour. I believe the bag does need to coordinate. I have many many bags (as well as shoes) and the most versatile bags I have are multi-textured bags in many colour tones. Several have cream/ bluggage brown/ black colours/ panels in them in different leathers/ fabrics as well as all the usual ornamentation such as big buckles or crystals and logos. When pairing a bag I go for colours that pick out part of my outfits be it a tie/ belt or my shoes. It makes so much sense having a handbag, just make sure you get one with good internal pockets and also a light coloured lining (so you can find things in it!). I wear skirts mostly now just because I really enjoy them paired with heels, but I still carry my handbag when wearing pants. I wouldn't be without a bag now. some examples of coordination based on stuff Ive worn recently, navy skirt suit, bright pink shirt, brown croc handbag and bright pink pumps black flared mini skirt, bare legs with suede black pumps with crystal bows, black fitted short sleeve top, black handbag with silver buckles/ logos and grey embbossing black cowl neck top (fitted), cream flared mini skirt with black check lines, bare legs, black slingbacks and a cream handbag navy skirt suit, white shirt, red tie, red pumps and red handbag brown skirt suit, cream floral shirt, cream handbag and beige mules black skirt suit, sheer black stockings, patent black pumps, lilac shirt and black handbag dirty styled fitted jeans, cream pumps, cream handbag and a fitted floral shirt (tucked in) brown A-line skirt, brown d'orsays, cream cross-over top (bow at the back) and multi-toned brown/black cream handbag black skivy top, black A-Line skirt(with red&white flowers on it), thick red high waisted belt, brown/black/white handbag and red slingbacks. Navy shift dress, beige pumps and beige handbag Jeans, Brown Croc Pumps, Brown Handbag and dark Navy fitted jacket (above waist) Beige Shorts, Denim pumps, Denim coloured tight top, brown/black/white handbag Hope this helps? Cheers Heel-Lover

• 3 weeks later...

Just found this one again. Thank you Heel-lover for your details on pairing, good info. I have been pondering a new hand bag, I have used one from a leather clothing store for travel and it has been really good. it is black and is a good travel bag. Now I am looking for one that is a little bigger so I can take camera along with me. I have tons of camera bags but am looking for a bag to match some heeled boots while heeling in bigger cities. Nordstrom's has some ones. Ah yes, the accessories are now becoming a needed Item. Coordinate....yes. Mtnsofheels

I don't carry a handbag, but, depending on the weather, I will wear a fedora hat with my outfits when I wear high heels.

A hat, eh? Hmm! Interesting! I think you might have just given me an idea for an experiment!

Give it a try Jeff, I often wear a hat when I am heeling, as in my avatar. I think it adds to the overall image.

I agree whole heartedly. I used to wear a fedora, like in your avatar, whenever I did go out in high heels. And I do agree with the overall image. My look when I wear high heels in public was inspired, as I have said many times, by women in pant suits wearing stiletto high heels. I once saw a woman in the pant suit and high heels with a fedora and I went out of my way to compliment her. To me, it was such a stylish sight.

Belt - matches heels (usually all black - I have one pair of brown pumps) I don't use much color - usually the shirt - occasionally the skirt or pants. Handbag = virtually all the time now. It is so much easier to store the necessities (credit cards, cash, keys, sunglasses, breath mints, pocket change and what ever. Now with skirts I've been experimenting with belts. At the waist I need a size or two smaller than with slacks or jeans. I haven't tried to much flashy stuff - though a black belt might be narrower or wider and perhaps a patent leather finish. Really wide belts (~3") are my latest interest with especially the shorter skirts I've been trying. The great thing with women's clothing is that there are so many choices and not near as many "rules".

Give it a try Jeff, I often wear a hat when I am heeling, as in my avatar. I think it adds to the overall image.

I must say I am intrigued at the notion of wearing a hat. Okey dokey, I'll give a hat a try and see what happens. Might be fun!

Ben wearing fedoras longer than I've been wearing high heels.

Shafted, the boots that is! View my gallery here http://www.hhplace.o...afteds-gallery/ or view my heeling thread here http://www.hhplace.org/topic/3850-new-pair-of-boots-starts-me-serious-street-heeling/ - Pm me if you want fashion advice or just need someone to talk to.

Posted ImageHi All, Hope 2012 is going well for all of you. Nice to see all the replies here. I'll be in Chicago on MLK Day since it's a federal holiday and will probably wear my gray trouser pants, cardigan sweater, and my "AURA" black boots with 5.7" heels to my pedicure. Afterwards, I'll probably drop by Bakers and see what's new or see my friend Gary at his shoe shop in the city. Are more of you wearing your heels in the cooler weather?? HappyinHeels